Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Troedel

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
For me it´s only the stuff I need that I buy, what use is there for data sets I won´t even see? So I would be out of the community stuff. As HL with "all" expansions is a pretty cost intensive project I think there are plenty of people out there with just a "core" build. But to figure that out is the purpose of this thread....
Troedel is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
I'm with Troedel. I mostly only get the stuff I need. Right now, that's pretty limited, so I'm out of the community stuff as well.
Sendric is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValaraukarU View Post
I do not have all the above listed data packages (only CORE, Bestiary, Bestiary 2, APG, UC, UM). I had always preferred those package be split by publication rather than one large package. This is mainly because I tend to like to add only specific parts that I need out of the current add on package rather than including things I don't need. I also don't plan on buying all those above listed packages so this would preclude me from using it as a whole anyway.
I understand the need for separate pieces but it gets allot harder to maintain from my side of the world. Also I saw many times where the same creature or racial special was being made 2 or 3 or 4 times.

So similar to what we did for the d20 project was to instead merge it all together into one big one. Its why I work very hard to make sure everything is Source marked correctly. At least this way you can only turn on the pieces you need.

But as I saw before with all the different AP packages trying to maintain them all is rough. Also if its all together I tend to see new things and fixes being done even if the original author no longer has time.

Just some thoughts on why is all...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
In other news if anyone is interested if I put together everything in one package that was given to me for v1.9 of the CB its over 570megs. That is over half a gig in size! Frumple is a machine!

So part of what I will have to do no matter what is move the character files(.por files) off as separate downloads. I don't think anyone wants to download half a gig file. Especially myself as my server bandwidth will be gone in a couple days!

So my other question is how does everyone feel about having to go to d20pfsrd and download a zip file of the .por character files. I am thinking I will package the zip by AP or Module and then if you are running Skull and Shackles you just download the SS zip file. This way you can still get to them but we are not killing bandwidth and space on your computers with files you may never need.

I know its not ideal but I am sort of out of options...

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Awesome thanks for those that have posted and I would appreciate anyone jumping in with thoughts. Even if its just which packages you have and may or may not get in the future.

With community stuff I would prefer to not limit that work to only certain members of the community. On the other side I understand why the editors do what they do. Why re-invent the wheel as they say. For Universal Monster abilities and many others its much easier to just bootstrap an official HL made version then recreate it all again.

I have in the past for the the "Campaign or Regional" stuff that was required I have created a Community Version so that the official package is not needed. But this is very hard with the bigger packages like Bestiaries or UC or UM.

Any and all feed back is welcome!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
blzbob

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
There used to be a freeware product called Chainsaw. It would allow you to cut the product into a bunch of pieces then you could reassemble them at the end. It would create a batch file that handled that for you. If possible, would you be able to do that? The file wouldn't be usable in chunks, but you could have them be separate downloads that don't eat up the bandwidth as much. Or at least have them zipped as chucks that would automatically load into the proper HL folder.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I really don't know much about how you do what you do. I'm just thinking about how I used to send very large emails before I had better options.
blzbob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old July 24th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blzbob View Post
There used to be a freeware product called Chainsaw. It would allow you to cut the product into a bunch of pieces then you could reassemble thm at the end. It would create a batch file that handled that for you. If possible, would you be able to do that? The file wouldn't be usable in chunks, but you could have them be separate downloads that don't eat up the bandwidth as much. Or at least have them zipped as chucks that would automatically load into the proper HL folder.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I really don't know much about how you do what you do. I'm just thinking about how I used to send very large emails before I had better options.
Nothing really needs to be reassembled, they can remain separate XML files. If bandwidth is a concern, p2p would help with that.
Fuzzy is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Why P2P or Chainsaw both sound like good things the issue is that Hero Lab, as far as I know, can only deal with a single file called a (.hl) or Import File. It stores the Package ID's and folder info.

So unfortunately I can't break the file up and still have it work with "Powered by Hero Lab" feature that informs gamers when we release a new version.

Which is why sort of my backup method is to separate out the .por files into individual downloads. Its sort of accomplishing the same thing just not as nice.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #18 Reply With Quote