Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Table of Contents:
Glossary of Terms:
  • 1st File - A .1st file is a special type of XML file that is made for HL and is the very first set of files loaded into memory. Most of the time the larger community created addons use this file to setup the Sources. Especially if you would like to have "Parent" sources that can not be checked mark and have "Child" sources below them. This can only be done using a .1st file. HERE is a info how to create a .1st file.
  • Authoring Kit - A separately purchased piece of software that is used to create whole NEW games for Hero Lab. All existing games (ie d20, Pathfinder, Shadowrun) come with an Editor built in to make changes.
  • Bootstrap - In HL terms this means to attach one Thing to another Thing so when the first Thing gets added to a character the 2nd Thing comes along. In example if a Class Ability gives the Dodge feat for free you would Bootstrap the Dodge Feat (Thing) to the Class Ability (Thing) so that when the class ability was added to a character the feat would get added also. For real fun see the wikipedia entry.
  • Configure Your Hero - So when you start HL then pick Pathfinder you are presented with a little window called "Configure Your Hero". In this window on the right side is where you can pick different options or "books". These are often called and referred to as "Sources" by the editor. You can also get to this window by going to "Character->Configure Hero" or pressing "CTRL-K".
  • Data (.user) file - This is the user created files that allow new or modified stuff for a game system. These files can be opened by the HL Editor and can be modified or changed directly. The files themselves are XML files and if you wish can be opened up by a Text Editor and modified directly but this is NOT recommended.
  • Dirtying Up a .por - This means to make a change to your character, put a space in the name up/lower a skill bonus, so that the Hero Lab software detects the change. This way when you save the file it will actually be saved. Otherwise the Hero Lab software does not actually save the file if nothing was changed.
  • Eval Scripts - Another name for the scripts that run behind each Thing in Hero Lab. In example the "Alertness" feat has a Eval script that gives a +2 bonus to the Sense Motive and Perception. If the character level is 10+ the eval script gives an additional +2 bonus.
  • Field - A field in the editor is a place in memory where a Pick or Thing can hold a numeric or string variable of data. In an eval script a field named abDC would be reference as field[abDC].value.
  • Gizmo - A gizmo is used to "inherit" the properties of an existing Thing. So a Magic Longsword would have a Longsword Gizmo so that it has all the same properties as the Longsword. This way any changes made to the base weapon will happen to the magic version also.
  • Hero - This is the generic term for the Character. It is also the highest level "Container" that contains all the other Things of the character.
  • Hero Lab Editor - The free included software for making changes/houserules for the Pathfinder game system.
  • HL - Short for Hero Lab.
  • Import (.hl) files - These are special compressed files (like a zip file) that holds data files, custom character sheets, or portfolio files that will be automatically installed into the correct locations for you.
  • LW - Short for Lone Wolf the company that makes the Hero Lab software.
  • Pick - A Pick is a "Thing" that has been chosen and attached to a the hero/character also known as being "Live" on the character. In example the feat "Dodge" is a "Thing" in HL but once a gamer selects Dodge at 1st level it changes from a "Thing" to a "pick" on the hero then. For programmers a Pick is the same as a instance (ie Thing = Object; Pick = Instance). A Pick can have tags assigned, deleted, or changed in addition to Field values.
  • Portfolio (.por) files - These are the Hero Lab files that hold one or more characters created inside of Hero Lab.
  • Powered By Hero Lab - This is a feature that allows third parties to provide data sets that can be updated inside of Hero Lab just like official updates. The community is currently using this to provide several data sets. See THIS thread for full details.
  • Stock Files (.stock) - These files contain multiple characters inside. They allow for easy selection from inside of HL by going to "Gamemaster->Encounter Builder". To make a .stock file you simply rename a .por file to the extension .stock.
  • Sources - This most often refers to the different Options or Books that are available from the "Configure Your Hero" window.
  • Tag - A preset string of characters made up of a Group dot Tag. In example Hero.NPC is a tag that resides on the hero marking the character as a NPC. Tags can be deleted, assigned, pulled, pushed and tested for. They are most useful for grouping together Picks on a character. Like tagging all Natural attacks with wGroup.Natural tag. Examples of working with tags: perform hero.assign[Hero.NPC].
  • Thing - When capitalized this is the generic term used by HL to represent Feats, Spells, Traits, Magic Items, and anything else created in the HL Editor. Specifically it refers to a something that is in the HL database but has not yet been put onto a character. For programmers this is the same as an "object". A feat that is not yet "chosen" is a Thing but once selected and added to a character it becomes a "Pick" (ie Thing = Object; Pick = Instance). A Thing can NOT have tags assigned, deleted, or changed nor can its field values be changed.
  • Test Now! - The "Test Now!" button in the editor is used to convert the "Text" based information of a "Thing" into a Binary representation that HL can work with. The other solution to doing "Test Now!" is "CTRL-R" which will do a quick restart of HL and it will compile everything in the .user files.
  • Transitioning - This means in a script to make sure you are on the correct Pick when doing logic. For more detailed info see THIS post.
  • Unique ID - Every Thing defined in the Hero Lab editor must be given a 10 character value that has to be unique to all of Hero Lab. The first letter or letters often help to identify what the Thing is. For example the "Dodge" feat has a unique id of "fDodge".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; March 24th, 2017 at 03:49 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Character Questions:

Q1: I just purchased a the Hero Lab License for book XXXX. But when I got to add a new spell, feat, magic item, or archetype to my Pathfinder character it does not display?
A: Each character saves which books are active/not active inside itself. So open your character (ie .por file) and press "CTRL-K" and make sure book XXXX is checked marked.

Q2: When I open up a portfolio (ie character) HL keeps telling me that I am missing a "Source". Everything works but I keep getting this message. How do I make it stop?
A: Most likely this file was made on different computer than yours (ie by your DM or by a Player). To get the message to stop from inside of HL go to "Portfolio->Strip Missing Sources".

Q3: Is there a way to add custom ammunition counts? Ex. I want to add 20 +1 arrows. Right now it seems that I can only add arrows in lots of 50. I was wondering if there was something similar to how you can have wands with custom number of charges for ammunition.
A: Click on the X button to the right of the Ammo (Arrows, Bolts, Shurkins) on the Weapons tab and choose to delete the number you want to remove. Make sure you don't set a price though, so you don't accidentally throw off your money.

Q4: I want to add the wording of (Plus Grab) or +1d6 Fire to my weapon how do I do this?
A: There is a community add-on Pack that does exactly this plus additional utilities. See the Pathfinder Basic Pack post for full info.

Q5: My character's skill totals are all lower than they are suppose to be?
A: If these skills are physical skills like Acrobatics, Climb, etc.. you wish to see if your character is over weight. When your character is over weight you gain the equivalent of wearing Medium or Heavy armor and get a Armor Check Penalty. See Table: Encumbrance Effects from the CORE rules.

Work Arounds - There are several ways around this rule. In the "Configure Your Hero" under the "Optional Rules" you can check "No Encumbrance". You can on the "Gear" tab and move your equipment to the "Dropped to Ground" bag which removes the weight from your character. Often time the issue is the money/gold weight which you can set the "Optional Rule" of "No Coin Weight" on if you wish.

Q6: The monster/race does not have the weapons/armor that is listed in the bestiary?
A: From inside of HL go to "Portfolio->Import Stock Hero" and import the monster. Then it will have the gear and everything else exactly like the stat block. You can't include the weapon on the "Race" unless you want to make it permanent. So any equipment is made part of the .por (character) file and included in the Stock characters.

Q7: I am gaining an extra feat; too many feats; more feats then I should?
A: Do you have the "Advanced Player's Guide Hero Points" rules turned on? If so, did you check "Don't Use Hero Points" below your starting cash? If you did both of these it disables "Hero Points" and gives you a bonus feat as per the APG anti-hero rules.

Q8: I have just purchased the bestiary pack, thinking that I would be able to create custom Vampires, Zombies, and Were-creatures. I cannot see those included in the races after updating to the bestiary pack?
A: These are templates, and can be accessed from the same selection screen as classes, just scroll down past the normal classes.

Q9: I am creating a Witch and for the familiar I chose a Donkey Rat. It is a level 1 character so the BAB should be 0 for the Donkey Rat, but the program is giving it a +1. What can I do to fix this?
A: Nothing the program is correct. What you are looking at is the "Attack Modifier" not the BAB. Sense the familiar is size small it gets a +1 to hit. So +0 BAB +1 Size gives a +1 Attack Modifier.

Q10: I'm using a Race normally not allowed for Pathfinder Society using a special chronicle I received. Is there a way to tell HL to ignore the PFS race restriction validation?
A: See THIS thread for full details.
Update 2/14/2014: You can now solve this by using ShadowChemosh's Adjustment Addon. Then putting the adjustment "PFS, Race Valid" on your character. It will cause your race to no longer display the error.
LW Stance: You are doing something that is not allowed by the rules. You have specific GM permission (on that chronicle sheet) to do so. Anyone who looks at your character sheet should see that you're doing something out of the ordinary. The solution is to ignore the error message and proceed with character creation.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; March 30th, 2015 at 10:25 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 15th, 2012, 07:19 AM
License Questions:
Q: How do I figure which Hero Lab license is on my computer?
A: Go to Help->About Hero Lab
or License->View License Info
or License->Send My Licenses to Me....

Q: How do I get my 2nd Hero Lab license?
A: Go to "License->Obtain Secondary License..." and you will be emailed a new unique license.

Q: My license does not WORK!!!
A: You can get license issues fixed/reassigned by sending an email to support@wolflair.com. This can take up to 48 hrs but usually faster. There is *nothing* anyone on the forums can do to help you.

Q: When I have multiple licenses do I need to purchase packages for each license?
A: No. Your licenses share access to the same books. So you purchase once and it can be used up to 5 devices (license 3-5 cost $10 each). To make sure you have access to all the books make sure you have Reactivated your license on each device after purchasing a package.

Q: I am so confused or angry about the License issues and want to know when it will be fixed?
A: I, ShadowChemosh, would say that 99.99% of all license issues I have seen turns out to be a simple misunderstanding in the end-gamers use of the Hero Lab licenses. The golden rule of Hero Lab license is that EACH and EVERY computer must have its own unique license. You can NOT use the same license on more than one computer.

Most peoples issue is the above. They install Hero Lab on two computers which we will call Computer1 and Computer2. The license will actually initially work correctly. For Computer1 activates the license then when installed on Computer2 the license "Transfers" to this computer (which can be done every 120 days). But Computer1 does not "recheck" the license yet at this time so it continues to work. Then an update happens and Computer1 is upgraded first and the upgrade goes to check the license and BOOM finds that the license had been reassigned to Computer2.

To solve this issue when installing onto the 2nd computer make sure you go to "License->Obtain Secondary License..." and use the new License code on the 2nd computer. If you do this you will NOT have any license issues.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; January 4th, 2015 at 10:23 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Editor Questions:
Q1: Do I need the authoring kit to make changes to Pathfinder?
A: No. The authoring kit is for creating a WHOLE new game system like Dragon Age. Hero Lab comes with the Hero Lab Editor for free which is used to make any and all changes to the game system.

Q2: How do I learn about using the Hero Lab editor?
A: There are several good places to go for reference.
  1. Go to "Tools->Start Editor.." and then from inside the editor go to "Help->Help on using the Editor". Read this it is very useful.
  2. Mathias has put together some very useful articles about scripting in Hero Lab.
  3. Use the Search feature of this board as it works very well and more than likely your question as already been asked and answered.
  4. Go to THIS post and watch the 4 videos. The videos go over many of the important features of using the Hero Lab Editor.
  5. Check out Lone Wolf's official YouTube channel for videos on Hero Lab.
  6. Official YouTube video on adding content to HL.
  7. Once you are in the editor you can always do a "New (Copy)" against the different Things in Hero Lab to view there scripts. So think about a Feat, Spell, Class Ability, Magic Item, or Trait that does something similar to what you want to code and then go look at how it was done.
  8. Hero Lab Wiki - This is about very advanced concepts using Savage World as the example for using the Authoring kit. It can be helpful but it is NOT pathfinder specific.
Q3: What programming language does Hero Lab use and where can I find a book on it?
A: Hero Lab uses its own language but its very similar to other scripting languages. Using basic structures such as If and Else If logic. See the question "How do I learn about using the Hero Lab editor?" to see how to learn about Hero Lab editor and eval scripts.

Q4: How do I use others data files or .user files?
A: By default you should have Hero Lab installed to the program files folder. So you will need to place your .user file(s) into one of the following locations based on the version of windows you have.
Windows 7 - "C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\pathfinder"
Windows XP/Vista - "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Hero Lab\data\pathfinder"
Note: You can always find the "data" folder containing the user files by going to "Tools->Explore Folders->Game System Data Folder".

Q5: How do I find the data files?
A: You can always find the "data" folder containing the user files by going to the Tools menu within Hero Lab and choosing Explore Folders->Program Data Folder.

Q6: I want to change the way a core feat works so how do I change the existing files?
A: You can not directly changing existing stuff in Hero Lab but you can do what is called a "Replaces Thing ID" found in the editor on the Right side of anything you click on. You make a copy of the feat, spell, or Thing in Hero Lab editor, by clicking on "New (Copy)" and then tell it to replace the CORE Thing using the Unique ID.

Q7: I need to create my own Natural Attack?
A: You can't. What you can do is use the new "Other Natural Weapon" which you can bootstrap, rename, and define yourself. This way when picking Weapon Focus or similar feats you can choose "Other Natural Weapon".

Q8: I want to add a new Sorcerer Bloodlines, Barbarian Rage Powers, Alchemist Discoveries, Rogue Talents, Bards Versatile Performance, etc.. Where in the editor do I find these?
A: These are all the same Thing in HL Editor. Go to "Classes->Custom Ability" tab and you will find all the above. The only exception is Cleric Domains because this was carried over from the old d20 3.5 mechanics so it has its own special tab in the editor.

Q9: How do I find the name of a field or tag or where a value is stored in HL?
A: From inside of Hero Lab go to the menu "Develop->Enable Data File Debugging". Then go to "Develop->Floating Info Windows->Show Selection Fields" and select the the Pick that matches to what you want to know. So if you wanted to know the fields on Armor Class you would select "ArmorClass".

Q10: How do I use custom expressions to build lists in Hero Lab?
A: Read my write up I did about Custom Expressions HERE.

Q11: I copied a Class (ie Barbarian) or Race (ie Orc) to make a new class/race but when I try to select Rage Powers or Alternate Racial Traits HL says "Nothing to Select". Why?
A: Because HL uses "Unique IDs" to know what something is not a "name". So when you did a 'new (copy)' you created a WHOLE new Race/Class that HL does NOT know is suppose to be an related to the original class/race. It has a different Unique ID so it is different Thing.

For races you let HL know its allowed to use the same ARTs by setting "Racial Traits Allowed" to the original race. For classes you setup the "Allow Custom Abilities" section to the original class.

Q12: I have bootstrapped a Feat or Thing to a Class ability and set the class ability to display at level 5. But the feat displays at level 1?
A: When something is bootstrapped it becomes "Live" (ie a Pick) as soon as the thing we are bootstrapped becomes a Pick. To prevent this from happening you must use a Bootstrap Condition. Read the Bootstrap Condition article for full details about making use of Bootstrap Conditions.

The short answer is to add a Condition coded like:
Code:
count:Classes.XXXXXX >= 5
replacing XXXXX with the correct tag for your class. You can locate this tag on the Class tab in the editor and clicking on the blue "Tags" button. Look for the Classes group and replace XXXXX with the "Tag ID" text. Capitalization counts so make sure its exact.

Q13: I have a brand new spellcasting class and I want to allow the class access to existing spells like Bless or Cure Light Wounds or Fireball.
A: You have to use the feature in the editor called "General->* Extend". See THIS post for details on using it.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; November 15th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Misc Questions:
Q1: How do I post a question or error so that I can easily get help from the community?
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Since we've had several issues this morning where people have asked for help, and we've gone back-and-forth through several posts in each case trying to figure out what they're accomplishing, I'd like to remind everyone that if you want help with a project, copying the text of that ability, instead of just paraphrasing it, will mean that the rest of us don't need to spend time asking you what exactly you're trying to do - we can just start helping you.

I'd much rather see copied text, rather than links, myself. I find that it's a hassle to switch back and forth between the linked text and the thread.

Also, don't just post the text, and think that's everything that's needed. You've probably been able to accomplish some of that, but you're having trouble with something specific - tell us what you've been able to accomplish, and where you're stuck.

If you've started with some examples, and are stuck on how to change the example into what you're doing, say that - I generally start answering help threads by pointing people at things that already exist in Hero Lab that they can copy from as a starting point for their own material, so if I know what you've already looked at, I won't have to point you towards something you already know about.

Q2: How do I post an error message from Hero Lab so others can see it?
A: By right mouse clicking on an error message you can select "Copy". Then you can easily post the message into your post. Doing this will 100% speed up the chance of getting an answer that will actually help you.

Q3: Who the heck is ShadowChemosh and why is he answering my post?
A: I am a friendly community member or user of the Hero Lab software just like you. I do NOT work for Lone Wolf. I have just been around for awhile is all and try and help out others. I also run the d20pfsrd Hero Lab Repository that has all the community created extras.

Q4: How do I post a .user file to the forums?
A: To find the location of your .user file from inside of HL go to "Tools->Explore Folders->Program Data Folder". That will open up the folder where the .user file is stored. Then when posting a new message scroll down past 'Submit Reply' and look for "Manage Attachments". That will let you attach a .user file.
ManageAttachments.jpg

Q5: How do I post a .por file to the forums?
A:When posting a new message scroll down past 'Submit Reply' and look for "Manage Attachments". That will let you attach a .por file.
ManageAttachments.jpg

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; January 27th, 2016 at 08:33 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Getting Support, Reporting Bugs:
Q1: Where do I report a Hero Lab software issue?
A: If the issue is related to Hero Lab software or license issues, not pathfinder the game, you can send an email to support@wolflair.com.

Q2: Where do I report an Offical Pathfinder game issue?
A: Pathfinder bugs, related to Feats, Spells, Classes or Archetypes, are now reported through a web link that has a Sticky post at the top of this forum. Or click HERE to report your issue.

Q3: How do I report an issue for one of the Community Packages or something you download from d20pfsrd?
A: You can report it to THIS thread or send an email to me at shadowchemosh (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Q4: How do I report an issue for Frog God Games Tome of Horrors or Razor Coast?
A: Even though you purchased this through the Hero Lab website Lone Wolf does NOT support this software. You can report the issue through their support website HERE or send them an email to deepcavefrogs (at) gmail (dot) com

Q5: How do I report an issue for one of the Rite Publishing Packages?
A: Rite Publishing has a support site located HERE.

Q6: How do I report an issue for Kobold Quarterly Packages?
A: KQ can be reached by reporting the bug on Kobold Press community page for Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/koboldpress) or else send an email to koboldpress (at) gmail (dot) com.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; September 26th, 2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added KQ information
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Community or 3PP Package/Addons:
Q#1: How do I remove a Community or 3PP Package/addon?
A: Tools->Manage Third Party Updates will allow you to remove a package or see what files where installed with the package.

Q#2: Where do I find the stock files for the "Community Bestiary"?
A: You find the encounter portfolios on the d20pfsrd/extras/community-creations/hero-lab website. Look for the folder called "Community Bestiary NPCs" and inside you will find all the .zip files for the Adventure Paths and Modules. Once downloaded and unzipped you can import a portfolio by going to "Portfolios->Import Portfolio" from inside of HL.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
Dealing With Hero Lab Errors:
Q1: I have lost access to all my addon/user packages? Or you open a .por/character file and are getting a list of errors that says "Critical information not found in data files: Source"?
A: Their is two different possibilities:
1) Hero Lab has encountered an initial error, which was displayed in a blue window, on load and has gone into safe mode. Safe mode prevents loading of any .user files (ie addons). Restart HL and when you see the error window in blue RIGHT click and Select Copy and paste your error into a new post on this forum.

2) You tried to open a .por/character file on a different computer than where it was created (or iPad) and you didn't load the additional addon packages to that computer/iPad. You will need to download and install the same addon packages to your 2nd computer/device to get your character to open without errors.

Q3: I did an official update and I got an error message window. I clicked OK and HL loaded. But now the message happens every time I restart?
A: You have an issue in one of your .user files or addon packages. Hero Lab has gone into safe mode and will NOT load any of your addon packages until its fixed. If this is not from one of your own custom .user files then you right click on the error message and past it to THIS thread so you can get help.

Q4: How do I provide all error messages HL is showing me?
A: If you are getting a error window you can always RIGHT mouse click and select COPY to copy all the errors. Then you can past them into an post to help others diagnose what is wrong.

Q5: I did a uninstall of Hero Lab and Re-install and it didn't fix anything?
A: Hero Lab has two sides the Software (HL) and the Game System (Pathfinder) and uninstalling the software (HL) has no effect on the game system. Just don't do it. If you lost all access to your addon then it means the initial error message you see has caused HL to go into safe mode. Restart HL and when you see the error window in blue RIGHT click and Select Copy and paste your error into a new post on this forum.
Note: I recommend NOT doing this uninstall/re-install thing with HL as it never fixes any issues.

Q6: I don't get notified about Community Packages updates anymore?
A: I assume at some point you uninstalled Hero Lab and reinstalled it. This means you have to re-setup the community servers URL. See THIS post for details.

Q7: How do I remove a addon package?
A: In windows/mac go to "Tools->Manage Third Party Updates" and select the package to remove and select DELETE. To delete a package on the iPad go to "View Updates" and then under "Installed Updates" simply Left Swipe!

Q8: I removed a community/3PP package but every time I open my character I get a message still in regards to it. How do I full remove a addon package?
A: After removing a addon package you may still get a message when you open your character file about a missing "Source". If such a message appears go to "Portfolio->Strip Missing Sources" from Windows/Mac and remove the reference to the now removed sources.

Q9: While trying to install the PDF Converter it says something is using the software and won't continue?
A: The application using the PDF Converter software is Hero Lab itself. Simply click behind the install window and close down Hero Lab. Then click the Retry/Continue button to finish the install.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; January 21st, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote