Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mettius

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
As I'm creating content for an "Only War" RPG (Warhammer 40k RPG), and adding details copeid from various wiki's, one question keeps coming up for me.

To hyperlink, or not to hyperlink? Realm Works keeps the hyperlinks intact, so in theory players in player mode could click them to the source website.

What are others doing in the regard? Do you strip out the hyperlinks first, or just leave the external references intact?
Mettius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM
I usually remove all external links. If the information is relevant I will add it into RW. That way I can control more what the player characters know and do not know.

For me this is especially true for games like a Only War. There is a lot of information on the web and I have some players who know a lot about the game world, so using RW helps me in what is and is not known.
Cornelius is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:42 AM
I would add,
Links can be useful, but as I have often told my players that research game elements via the web for our campaign (Greyhawk), not all things published (canon or otherwise) are relevant to our campaign.

For Example, canon within the World of Greyhawk has a Wizard retrieving an artifact that drives the evil minions serving Iuz (an arch type menace) from the world. Problem is the PCs within our campaign failed to accomplish this task.. so that piece of canon is "inaccurate".
Details Here >http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index....e=Crook_of_rao

Anyway, I can see both sides, in some cases it would be useful to have the links, but certainly not all nor if they present a misnomer of info (unless that is the intent heheheh).
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I remove most links to web sources other than SRD to ensure the material will always be available.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mettius

Old August 4th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Sorry, what is SRD?
Mettius is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 4th, 2014, 03:22 PM
System Reference Document, the rules for the d20 System available under the Open Game License (OGL). Usually people mean the version for D&D 3.5, though Wizards also hosts the versions for d20 Modern and D&D 4. The Pathfinder equivalent is the Pathfinder RPG Reference Document, or PRD.

Other websites host them too, including the 3.0 SRD that WotC doesn't have up anymore.

ObTopic: Normally I'd remove outside links, though I might put a link to the source article in its own snippet/GM Directions block so I know where it came from. Not something that's come up yet, as I haven't been incorporating web sources into my Realm Works realms.

Last edited by Parody; August 4th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettius View Post
Sorry, what is SRD?
System Reference Document. Its the FREE parts of the d20 games where the core set of rules where given away. In example the d20srd.org site for 3.5 D&D or the more current d20pfsrd.com site for Pathfinder.

grumble grumble damn Ninjas!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote