Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Barahoote

Old September 7th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Is there an add on anywhere that allows for the creation rules found on pages 548-550 of the core book? What I am specifically referring to are the rules for Multiple Similar Abilities and Multiple Different Abilities. Our GM is using only core material, but has stated that anything that is in the base book is allowed. What i was looking at is being able to have a base item of say the Cloak of Arachnida and adding a Resistance bonus of +3. What i understood is that it would be the Base cost of the CoA 15500 + 1.5*CoR 12000. And when the resistance bonus went to 4 it would be CoR 16000 + 1.5*CoA 23250. Is there an add-on that handles this stuff. The example I was using are the Belts that add 6 to multiple stats.

Or maybe I have the process wrong, do those rules apply? Other options are to make a ring of resistance that takes no space ...

I am not 100%. Thoughts...?

Thank you in advance.
Barahoote is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 7th, 2016, 08:01 AM
That particular set of rules was a Pathfinder addition to the 3.5 rules on item creation. It somewhat violates the idea that "custom Items are the GM's perogative", and the notion that items are assigned to specific body slots in order to make players choose between them.

That said, the rules are loose enough, and there are enough different effects that could be created based on new spells, etc., that there is no comprehensive systematic implementation. By comparison, weapons and armor enhancement is much more limited and defined, so it has been implemented.

Remember, too, that the price determined by applying the guidelines is not necessarily the final price. The GM is encouraged in the text to compare the new item with others and to adjust the price so as to avoid the "Continual-use Ring of True Strike" for 2,000 gp type of excessive situation.

Any new magic item, then, needs to be created as a new magic item in the Editor.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
That particular set of rules was a Pathfinder addition to the 3.5 rules on item creation. It somewhat violates the idea that "custom Items are the GM's perogative", and the notion that items are assigned to specific body slots in order to make players choose between them.

That said, the rules are loose enough, and there are enough different effects that could be created based on new spells, etc., that there is no comprehensive systematic implementation. By comparison, weapons and armor enhancement is much more limited and defined, so it has been implemented.

Remember, too, that the price determined by applying the guidelines is not necessarily the final price. The GM is encouraged in the text to compare the new item with others and to adjust the price so as to avoid the "Continual-use Ring of True Strike" for 2,000 gp type of excessive situation.

Any new magic item, then, needs to be created as a new magic item in the Editor.
Very nicely said. In agreement to what Silveras said.

To expand on the Editor info. I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos. Welcome to the wonderful world of using the HL editor which will be the most frustrating and rewarding thing you can do with Hero Lab.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old September 11th, 2016, 03:00 PM
My group has played with rules similar to these for years - even while we were still straight 3.5.

All in all they work great. I have had to create multiple custom items to handle these sorts of things. My method is to create copies of each in the Editor. I decide which of the two items is the more complex, and I build off of that copy. I then just copy and paste scripts and timings from the second item and make any changes to the notes and cost. I then give it a specific name like "Cloak of Arachnida and Resistance" and add it to the character. It's always worked like a champ for me.
JustinThomason is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Barahoote

Old September 30th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThomason View Post
My method is to create copies of each in the Editor. I decide which of the two items is the more complex, and I build off of that copy. I then just copy and paste scripts and timings from the second item and make any changes to the notes and cost. I then give it a specific name like "Cloak of Arachnida and Resistance" and add it to the character.
This is what I have been doing as well. I just really need to learn more about the coding for HL.
Barahoote is offline   #5 Reply With Quote