Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Talinthalas

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I know I saw somewhere on the Paizo forums that Ability Focus can be taken with a Witches Hex ability, but it is not selectable in Hero Lab.
Talinthalas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Could you point me to the source post, please?
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
See THIS post from James Jacobs. The big point is that its per each individual Hex not just Ability Focus(Hex).

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Have you seen anything else on ability focus? I'd prefer more specificity on what it can be applied to - why did they put it in the Bestiary and say "creature's special attacks" if it can be used on any character ability that has a DC?
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Pezmerga

Old November 10th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Have you seen anything else on ability focus? I'd prefer more specificity on what it can be applied to - why did they put it in the Bestiary and say "creature's special attacks" if it can be used on any character ability that has a DC?
I am pretty sure that it can be applied to any Supernatural, SLA, or Extraordinary ability with a DC.
Pezmerga is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I know in 3.5 it was that way, and furthermore for Warlock invocations it was take once for every invocation getting a +2 (which is pretty cheesy). Of course, it may have changed.
Lawful_g is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
But where in 3.5 did it STATE it was allowed to be used for all character abilities - it used the same "creature's special attacks" phrasing as in Pathfinder.
Mathias is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Pezmerga

Old November 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
But where in 3.5 did it STATE it was allowed to be used for all character abilities - it used the same "creature's special attacks" phrasing as in Pathfinder.
Well it doesn't say it's limited to any creature, or subtype etc. so I assume it's any creature type or subtype's abilities. Just as a Ranger selects a "creature type" for favored enemy, be it human , elf, Giant, Aberration or whatever. I don't see where it says they have to be racial abilities or anything in the feat's description.

Other than that, the only two examples of a character being said to be able to take the feat that I can think of at the moment, is the complete arcane warlock (3.5), and the Pathfinder witch. Although I don't think it says the witch can in the APG, just that the designers clarifying that it was legal.
I do not think there is much more than that on the subject. Couldn't tell ya if it would work on Stunning Fist or something like that.
Pezmerga is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:25 PM
If you extrapolate from the term “creature”, and apply game world logic from the point of view of playing a Monster. A creature that Monsters stumble upon is usually a group of bipedal humanoids that are able to use “Abilities” to inflict pain.
Therefore depending on Dm point of view all feats, unless specifically worded for a type of creature, are available to all.

For example I used an assassin with ability focus death attack in a recent v3.5 game an extra +2 on the dc perfectly legal as its a special attack!

After all it's a framework of rules that can be modified to individual gaming styles. But it does state special attacks only!

From the D20pfsrd

Most of the following feats apply specifically to monsters, although some player characters might qualify for them (particularly Craft Construct).

Ability Focus Monster Special attack. One of this creature's special attacks is particularly difficult to resist.

Last edited by bodrin; November 11th, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: highlighting special attacks only.
bodrin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote