Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kronicarn88

Old August 25th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Hello im wondering if anyone has a comprehensive document explaining the coding language and what things like .herochild represent. Also any instructional videos on coding for Herolab.

I have read what Lone Wolf has provided in the way of their coding documents but still dont fully understand it.

Im basically looking to recode an Archetype, it shouldnt be too hard since I can use the base code already created and add or delete was I require. Problem is I dont know how to write the code so it works properly.

If anyone has any links they could provide that would be great.

Thanks.
Kronicarn88 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 25th, 2015, 03:53 PM
See the Glossary of Terms. See FAQ#2 for all the places including videos to learn the editor.

Be prepared to spend time learning. Its not a 5 minute task to get use to using the editor. And if the archetype you want to modify (which it will be) not from the Core Book then you can't just make a copy and make changes. You will have to copy each piece out from a non-copyable thing to a new Thing.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kronicarn88

Old August 26th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Thanks Shadow. I was expecting a couple weeks to a month to learn it.

The thing I really need help with is the Eval Scripts, making sure my bootstrapping is proper, and then level advancement and menu choices.

So if it's from the Occult Adventures book I CAN'T copy the base class and make my changes? I'll have to pretty much just re write the whole code myself then is what you're saying? just to clarify.
Kronicarn88 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:00 AM
You only need to reproduce whatever bit you are changing, not necessarily the whole archetype.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kronicarn88

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Bare with me please.

So only if a class ability is Replaced or Altered I have to rewrite that code? Possibly only reword it and change some of the evals?

Now that I think of it though pretty much all the Class Abilities save for one are Altered or Replaced so I will have to anyway...
Kronicarn88 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Could you be specific in what archetype you are thinking about altering and how?
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM
In the editor, if you make a copy of something from an add-on package, you will not be allowed to save that copy. You can however create a new blank item, and manually copy all the settings and options from the copy you can't save to the blank item that you can save, and that will leave you with a copy of it. I find that opening two copies of Hero Lab, each with its editor open is the fastest way of doing that, because then I can just alt-tab between the two editors.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kronicarn88

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Ah thanks Mathias. I will do that. will make it more streamlined to add in what is need.

Aaron Im looking to change the Sha'ir Archetype. to add the Focus powers ability to it and fix its current coding.

I really want to play around with this archetype but as it currently is coded it's not working properly. I have already submitted a bug report, but figured it would be a good class to learn the editor with as its not a major change thats needed.
Kronicarn88 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Then I think you would only need to copy the archetype itself, and change the eval script at First 450.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kronicarn88

Old August 26th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Ah ok cool THanks.

Ill just give more detail of what I want to do, just in case you have any more suggestions.

Currently the Resonant and Base Focus power of the selected Magic School (Not the Elemental School) are showing as Greyed out and (Replaced). Based on the Focus Powers ability of the Occultist base class, this should not be the case, and the Archetype should be allowing for an additional choice of a Focus Power at 1st level as well as at 3rd and every 2 levels thereafter from all currently selected Magic Schools. and I noticed the Archetype as coded is missing the Focus Powers ability from the Base class.

So what I want to do is add the Focus Powers Ability, change the script to show the Resonant and Base Focus power of the selected Magic School as usuable (so not greyed out and no (Replaced) beside it). and I want to give the Archetype the ability to choose an additional power at 1st and every 2 levels thereafter from the currently selected Magic Schools (because the Sha'ir only has 1 Magic school at 1st and then gets to select another at 7th and 14th level).

I will definitly try changing this myself based on the videos and info provided currently and if I have anymore questions Ill make a new post. Most likely for help with Eval scripts, as I have no idea how to write lines/syntax or what hero.child and the like means haha. Hopefully the info provided can clarify this.

I appreciate the info on how to get started in doing this.
Kronicarn88 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote