Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TemporalVengeance

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I'm doing a favour for a friend and coding in a conversion of the old Heartwarder prestige class. It's 10th level Class special is described thusly:
Quote:
At 10th level, a heartwarder is so attuned to the forces of natural beauty that she transcends mortal definitions of beauty. Her type changes to “fey,” which means, among other things, that she is no longer affected by spells that specifically target humanoids, such as charm person.
If I'm reading that correctly, whatever their current type/subtype is, it's removed and replaced by the fey type. How would I go about getting this to happen or is there another class special or something that does the same thing that I could look at?
TemporalVengeance is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalVengeance View Post
I'm doing a favour for a friend and coding in a conversion of the old Heartwarder prestige class. It's 10th level Class special is described thusly:

If I'm reading that correctly, whatever their current type/subtype is, it's removed and replaced by the fey type. How would I go about getting this to happen or is there another class special or something that does the same thing that I could look at?
Try looking at a template that alters the type of a base race, undead is a good one to start with.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TemporalVengeance

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Well, I tried to use the same tags that it enables, but it's not doing what I want. Probably be easier just to create a Fey Template and have it bootstrapped?
TemporalVengeance is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 11th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalVengeance View Post
Their is an adjustment, "Remove Type Abilities", that removes a creature Type and all its abilities. Try taking at a look at its script to see how it does it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Look at how the Monk class changes to the outsider type at level 20.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silverthorne

Old December 30th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Checking to see if this is advancing?
Silverthorne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:29 AM
If I am missing the problem in this thread, forgive me. Changing Types/Subtypes as part of a class or template can get very tricky very quickly because of how and when they need to be bootstrapped. Even races have this issue to some extent.

When I was working on the Star Elves, (they turn into outsiders at night), I was constantly confronted with the problem of being unable to bootstrap things because they happened too "Late" The 3.5 system was alot more forgiving than the pathfinder since most bootstraps for race/type stuff allowed you to use First/500, in pathfinder very often it throws you errors as late as First/50. Very annoying.

One of the way I have over come this issue is creating "look-alike" types and subtypes. That boot strap things in different ways. This is what I am having to do for the Talontar Blightlord (Unapproachable East), until I find a better way.

The problem with looking at other classes is that each type/subtype needs to be done in a different way because of what other things they each respectively bootstrap and the timing problems they create.

Monk gives outsider at 20.
Fey Enticer (3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasies) gives fey at capstone (5th i think)
Talontar Blightlord (3.5 Unapproachable east) give Plant at Unknown.

The latter are only for the 3.5 system tho, but you might be able to get some help from them.

I hope this helps,

P.S., Is this the Heartwarder from Faiths and Pantheons? If it is, when you are done I'd love to have a copy, I'd then add it into the Forgotten Realms Conversion files. If it is from Athas, then I can put it into the Dark Sun.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
If I am missing the problem in this thread, forgive me. Changing Types/Subtypes as part of a class or template can get very tricky very quickly because of how and when they need to be bootstrapped. Even races have this issue to some extent.

When I was working on the Star Elves, (they turn into outsiders at night), I was constantly confronted with the problem of being unable to bootstrap things because they happened too "Late" The 3.5 system was alot more forgiving than the pathfinder since most bootstraps for race/type stuff allowed you to use First/500, in pathfinder very often it throws you errors as late as First/50. Very annoying.

One of the way I have over come this issue is creating "look-alike" types and subtypes. That boot strap things in different ways. This is what I am having to do for the Talontar Blightlord (Unapproachable East), until I find a better way.

The problem with looking at other classes is that each type/subtype needs to be done in a different way because of what other things they each respectively bootstrap and the timing problems they create.

Monk gives outsider at 20.
Fey Enticer (3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasies) gives fey at capstone (5th i think)
Talontar Blightlord (3.5 Unapproachable east) give Plant at Unknown.

The latter are only for the 3.5 system tho, but you might be able to get some help from them.

I hope this helps,

P.S., Is this the Heartwarder from Faiths and Pantheons? If it is, when you are done I'd love to have a copy, I'd then add it into the Forgotten Realms Conversion files. If it is from Athas, then I can put it into the Dark Sun.
Is the issue you are making these look-alike subtypes for that you want to remove certain things the subtype normally bootstraps or any class skills it applies? If so, we already have a solution to that, which is to forward NoTypeAbil or NoTypeImm tags to the hero (which stops all the standard bootstraps/class skills), then have whatever pushed the tag bootstrap whatever it was you wanted to retain.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
TobyFox2002 - The Monk level 20 change is set up with a single bootstrap at First/500, and a single script at First/505. You seem to be talking about this as if it's much more complex than that. The original post sounds like that class' ability is very similar to the monk's ability, so I don't see why it will be more complex than the monk's ability (it'll actually be simpler, because the monk's version needs to work if it's added as a ki ability to an unchained monk or a normal ability for a core rulebook monk).
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
TobyFox2002 - The Monk level 20 change is set up with a single bootstrap at First/500, and a single script at First/505. You seem to be talking about this as if it's much more complex than that. The original post sounds like that class' ability is very similar to the monk's ability, so I don't see why it will be more complex than the monk's ability (it'll actually be simpler, because the monk's version needs to work if it's added as a ki ability to an unchained monk or a normal ability for a core rulebook monk).
I do apologize but when ever I have tried to do this it has caused me all kinds of headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Is the issue you are making these look-alike subtypes for that you want to remove certain things the subtype normally bootstraps or any class skills it applies? If so, we already have a solution to that, which is to forward NoTypeAbil or NoTypeImm tags to the hero (which stops all the standard bootstraps/class skills), then have whatever pushed the tag bootstrap whatever it was you wanted to retain.
Its not keeping abilities from showing up that was my issue.

In any event, please ignore everything I have said in this thread. It appears that I missed or misunderstood the entire problem the OP had. So, I was answering something that was never an issue.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote