Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Virtue

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:32 AM
Does hero labs work on a surface? Or is that still in development with the IPAD
Virtue is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:45 AM
Well Surface Pros run full windows, so if you're running full windows and not RT HL will work just fine.
AndrewD2 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Virtue

Old September 1st, 2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks Im looking into replacing my lap top soon and wanted to make sure it would work on it
Virtue is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
karpomatic

Old September 2nd, 2015, 04:36 AM
I run HL and RW on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10. HL runs perfectly. RW gives me a little glitch to the screen resolution when I add photos but its nothing major.

Realm Works Kickstarter supporter
karpomatic is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:05 AM
You can run RW or HL on any Surface but RT (just ensure it does not run windows RT).

However, you must look at the specs to be sure you understand what you are buying.

A core I3 should be enough on the low end of the Pro 3, but the I5 is the better buy. Unless you are running just RW/HL and maybe the odd light app, it is not a lot of power. But it is cost effective, but comes with a small SSD.

But the new non Pro Surface 3 has a quad core atom, this is really a poor processor for apps like RW and HL. It sacrifices core speed for more cores, which ONLY help if your application supports a multi-threaded operation, which RW and HL do not. This is really a students dream running the latest office and such support apps. With the recent price drops its a really a steal for a full windows 10 device. I just can't tell you how well they will run. and again small SSD here. **Update** seems they have added a 128GB 4GB ram version here, but at that price point, the Pro 3 I5 128GB ssd with 4MB ram isn't much more if it is within your budget. One tip, the none Pro surface 3 is 1920x1080 vs the Pro being 2160x1440 screen.

Budget however will dictate your buying, as it does for all of us. Be mindful of the SSD size, 64GB isn't a lot, but if you run office/RW/HL that's it, it is enough. But little left to grow with. 128GB I5 with 4MB Ram is in my mind the sweet spot, and this is the one I own. The storage is great, since lets all face it, the Surface is not a gaming system. Gives you ample space for everything you need and some growth room. Windows 10 is very light, and so is all the new apps as they come, so 4MB ram will go a lot further than you think, and testing has shown, it is still the sweet spot, even in gaming.

Windows 10 is here, its lighter and in my opinion best OS since DOS 5.0 from Microsoft. So you definitely want to run it, and so far HL/RW have been near flawless with it since first preview.

Technical note - Surface is not some backwards old tech, its very forward looking. Thus is utilizes DisplayPort for video out. It has a single mini-DisplayPort, but that can be converted to DVI/VGA/HDMI as well as can be used with a MST hub to run up to three 1920x1080 screens if you disable the Surface screen itself. Do not listen to the rhetoric about this, this was the right choice, every other standard is dead and HDMI is a consumer standard.

The docking station is gold for the Surface, so good I even have one at home. But it isn't cheap.

Best accessory besides the keyboard you can buy for the Surface is the Microsoft arc mouse for the surface, its a fantastic flattening Bluetooth mouse. But not cheap.

Good luck.

P.S. The Surface is the best PC I have ever bought, bar none. Though it can't replace my main Desktop nor my Powerhouse lappy, it is just an amazing product. If I was not a gamer, and a media creationist, it would be all I need. But then I would have gotten the 256GB I5 8MB version they have now, but it is a supplementary system.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; September 2nd, 2015 at 05:12 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
karpomatic

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:37 AM
My Surface Pro 3 is the i5 with 128GB HD and 4GB of ram. I use a 32GB SD card for all my storage like game books on PDF and such. I don't use it for much else other than Netflix and the like so the power, speed, and space are great for me. I do run Diablo 3 from time to time which is great. Star Trek Online, not so much. Very choppy. I don't think the graphics in the Pro 3 are meant to handle it.

On a side note, I recommend downloading the MS PDF reader app over the Adobe one. It has a lot more functionality for a touch screen based tablet compared to the Abode app. The MS app came with Windows 8.1 but its not part of Windows 10. However, it is a free DL in the app store.

Realm Works Kickstarter supporter
karpomatic is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
P.S. The Surface is the best PC I have ever bought, bar none. Though it can't replace my main Desktop nor my Powerhouse lappy, it is just an amazing product. If I was not a gamer, and a media creationist, it would be all I need. But then I would have gotten the 256GB I5 8MB version they have now, but it is a supplementary system.
To put in perspective Exmorits is a MS LOVER! They do no wrong in his eyes. So of course he loves the surface.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
To put in perspective Exmorits is a MS LOVER! They do no wrong in his eyes. So of course he loves the surface.
HAHA actually if you hear me at work, you'd think other wise!

Personally MS has improved immensely since getting rid of that dead weight Balmer. He was a terrible, plain terrible head man for MS, nearly sunk them, thinking that what ever they did was obviously the best only choice, and the world would adapt to them, not MS adapt to the world around it. WRONG!

But I do so love my Surface, so much I got it in, approved, and set as our new desktop computer standard for the enterprise. Fnny enough my personal Surface is the exact same model as my main desktop at work now.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; September 2nd, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
FatherThomas

Old September 8th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I run herolabs on a Venue 8 Pro, with no problem, save that the UI in herolabs needs to be made more touch friendly...there is a selection in the menu called "Tablet Mode" that is disabled.
FatherThomas is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathizsias

Old September 9th, 2015, 04:36 AM
It works great, but needs better display scaling on the Surface products or even better: a good touch interface.
Mathizsias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote