Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hirsute

Old March 6th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I'm trying to write a feat that will allow the masterwork quality and weapon enchantments (enhancement bonuses and named enchantments) to apply to improvised weapons.

Any pointers on what I'd have to look at to figure this out?
Hirsute is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 6th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Is it a crafting feat?
It looks like it would mostly just be a textual description of the ability.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Hirsute

Old March 6th, 2017, 05:28 PM
No, I want to try to create a feat that will allow me, on the weapons tab, to add "Improvised Weapon" as a selection to the "Create Custom/Magic Weapon" option on the weapons tab, and add masterwork/enchantments to it.
Hirsute is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 6th, 2017, 06:09 PM
When making a custom weapon one of the powers you can add is "improvised" which converts any weapon into a improvised weapon.

Or if you install the community Pathfinder Pack and turn on "ShadowChemosh's Equipment" you will find a base weapon called "improvised" that can be enchanted or made MW.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Hirsute

Old March 7th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Sorry... I left out a key phrase, I realized. I recognize that I can add the improvised quality or choose the base "improvised weapon" option and that the controls allow me to add other things to them, but that results in validation errors, "Improvised weapons cannot be masterwork/magical" (as it should, as this is normally not allowed in pathfinder).

There's a character who specializes in improvised weapons, and I want to create a feat that allows him to make them masterwork and magical (physically I can already do this) without the validation errors (so that's all the feat would need to do: change it so for any character possessing the feat, it does not cause a validation error to add magic to an improvised weapon).
Hirsute is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old March 7th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Honestly, your best bet is probably to just ignore the validation errors. The validation is being performed by code that isn't accessible to us end users, and we don't really have a way of suppressing it programmatically.

You could also try making a copy of the Improvised "power" and messing around with it. I'm not in front of my HL box, but I'd guess it works by applying a tag to the weapon marking it as improvised, and then letting the component code handle the implications. If that's correct, you could use a version of Improvised that omits that tag, and it would theoretically bypass the validation. The downside is that it would also fail to apply any other effects of the Improvised quality (like the to-hit penalty), so this solution would only be appropriate if the character in question can entirely negate all the penalties associated with improvised weapons.
TheIronGolem is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 7th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
The downside is that it would also fail to apply any other effects of the Improvised quality (like the to-hit penalty), so this solution would only be appropriate if the character in question can entirely negate all the penalties associated with improvised weapons.
Depending on feats/classes/archetypes taken this is more problems. Many of the "Improvised weapon" abilities are looking for the Improvised tag and without it on the weapon the features don't' work. I found this out before because the community "Improvised Weapon" didn't have the tag. Lots of features wouldn't work with it because the tag was missing.

So yes the way to do it is to ignore the validation. Unless Mathias or Aaron know of some way of suppressing those errors of course.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2017, 09:03 AM
The Monk of the Empty Hand archetype has an ability at 11th level called "Ki Weapons: Enchanted Weapons" which allows exactly what you're working on. It does so by assigning a tag to the hero, to say this is OK:

Code:
perform hero.assign[Custom.MagImprov]
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Hirsute

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
The Monk of the Empty Hand archetype has an ability at 11th level called "Ki Weapons: Enchanted Weapons" which allows exactly what you're working on. It does so by assigning a tag to the hero, to say this is OK:

Code:
perform hero.assign[Custom.MagImprov]
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. That was easier than I'd dared to hope.

The feat, if anyone is interested in the thought behind it, will require the character to have Improvised Weapon Master and Master Craftsman. He can then have an improvised weapon that, once he's picked up, can use a series of craft (weapon) checks on to refine to masterwork quality, and be made magical if he can find an enchanter willing to put "bane" on, say, a broken bottle with some weights strapped to it.
Hirsute is offline   #9 Reply With Quote