Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dangermouse

Old March 17th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I want to create a custom race and I have used the editor before and I think I can muddle through that and create what I need, but I see there is an option to use the Bestiary Monster Creation when you select a race for a character. I am not familiar with this. Can I create a race through it and then select it from other new portfolios?
Can I also send a file to others if they want to use the race I created with the Bestiary Monster Creation?

-Peter
dangermouse is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 17th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
Can I create a race through it and then select it from other new portfolios?
Sort of. After you make the race you save it as a .por file. So you could save it as a blank template. Then make a copy of the file to create any "new" characters.

Quote:
Can I also send a file to others if they want to use the race I created with the Bestiary Monster Creation?
Pretty much the same as above. Once you save the base creature as a .por file you could send it to someone else. As long as they have the ARG they could open and use it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dangermouse

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Thanks. I already started doing it from the editor to see how it goes. I want this race to be natural sorcerers. Is there a way to give them +1 caster level for Sorcerers or give them sorcerer spell level per hit die?

-Peter
dangermouse is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Thanks. I already started doing it from the editor to see how it goes. I want this race to be natural sorcerers. Is there a way to give them +1 caster level for Sorcerers or give them sorcerer spell level per hit die?

-Peter
Have you taken a look at existing races that are racial spellcasters, to see how they do it? Rakshasa, Driders, and Naga come to mind off the top of my head.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
dangermouse

Old March 17th, 2016, 10:42 PM
I see how they do it but it isn't exactly what I am trying to do. I would like to do one of two things:
1. Just give the race a +1 caster level if they take a spell casting class (preferably just for sorcerer).
2. or give them sorcerer caster levels equal to their current class level. In the race editor, I see that I can give them sorcerer caster level equal to their hit die, but that seems to only be for the race hit die, and is not tied to class level.

-Peter
dangermouse is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old March 18th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Part of the problem here is that you are intefering with game balance. I would be very cautious about using such a house rule on a custom race.
talsharien is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dangermouse

Old March 18th, 2016, 07:29 AM
I understand your point. This is an NPC only race, the main bad guys for the PCs to fight. Ultimately what I want to do is create a race similar to humans but have a natural affinity for magic, specifically that they are natural sorcerers. My low end adjustment is to give them some daily spells (like a drow) and then give them +1 caster level if they are a sorcerer.
If anyone has other suggestions then I would be happy to hear them.

-Peter
dangermouse is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 18th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Okay, so you want to deviate a lot from the way existing races work for racial spellcasting. That's going to take relatively advanced scripting.

In the Develop menu, turn on enable data file debugging. Then add a race with racial spellcasting, and then, again in Develop, floating info windows, choose show selection fields, and then choose the race you're testing in that selection list.

Now, look through those fields, and identify the ones that seem to be connected to the racial spellcasting. You're especially looking for the "Magic Level".

Then, develop...floating info windows...show selection tasks, and again, look for Magic Level.

Now, create a character with your new race, and add some non-sorcerer levels. Compare that character's Magic Level with the value you want it to be.

You're going to write a script that comes in slightly after that script that's handling the magic level, and increase the magic level to what you want it to be.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote