Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lonewolf147

Old September 13th, 2014, 03:56 AM
How can I locate which .dat or .user file a Thing is located in so that I can either edit, copy or modify it? I know which book something it out of, but have no idea which file that is.

For example, the Ring of the Grasping Grave. This is from the Ultimate Equipment book, but I can't find which file UE is saved too.

Is there an easy way to track down Thing locations?
Lonewolf147 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 13th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Don't you normally use the Editor to copy/modify items?
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lonewolf147

Old September 13th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I assume the Editor is the only way to do this. And, when you open the editor, you need to then open or create a new datafile. I have a datafile for my personal items, but I want to create a new item based on the effects of the aforementioned ring. So, I need to know what file to open to read all the scripts and stuff of that ring. I have no clue where the Ultimate Equipment (or any of the other core books) files are located in order to load it and look at the ring (or any other item).

I'm trying to figure out how to backtrack and find out which file any given item is saved to.
Lonewolf147 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 13th, 2014, 06:25 AM
The "New (Copy)" button in the editor will give you a list of all the items in a game system to copy from, so you don't even need to know the original location - just the name of the item you want to copy.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Lonewolf147

Old September 13th, 2014, 06:33 AM
That was easy enough :doh!: Thank you, I never saw that before (but to be honest I don't do much editing, yet)
Lonewolf147 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf147 View Post
That was easy enough :doh!: Thank you, I never saw that before (but to be honest I don't do much editing, yet)
I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms to get up on the wording and then read FAQ#2 that shows all the places to learn about the editor. This includes a 4 part intro video.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SushiDave

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:09 PM
I also need to find this Item (Ring of the Grasping Grave) I purchased the Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment Package - but still no ring. As a player, I got this item early in the 'Mummy's Mask' which I enabled in the character setup when starting this character creation. I love this product (HeroLab) but there are times when finding what you need can be... frustrating to say the least. Color me stupid, but if you figured this out - could you please give me directions to add this item to my character? Thank you in advance.
SushiDave is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiDave View Post
I also need to find this Item (Ring of the Grasping Grave) I purchased the Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment Package - but still no ring. As a player, I got this item early in the 'Mummy's Mask' which I enabled in the character setup when starting this character creation. I love this product (HeroLab) but there are times when finding what you need can be... frustrating to say the least. Color me stupid, but if you figured this out - could you please give me directions to add this item to my character? Thank you in advance.
Open your character. Press "CTRL-K" and make sure "Ultimate Equipment" is check marked.

HL saves your settings per character so that each character could have access to different books. Then go to the "Magic" tab and type "Ring of the Grasping Grave" in the search box.

P.S. - the original thread was about finding "Things" which is a term for stuff in the editor not normal gear for a character. For your future questions its best to post a new thread in the Game forum (ie Pathfinder).

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote