Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGeek View Post
Grande Temple of Jing is the first and only time this has happened to me with a Third-Party product, and I've had Hero Lab for Pathfinder since 2009.
What are you calling a Third-Party Product? The name is not helpful in this case and is confusing.

Do you mean:
1) A Third Party non Paizo product sold through LW?
2) A Third Party URL or addon like the Community Pack?

All Products sold by LW (ie a License) work the way I describe. My Freeport Campaign Setting options (Non-Paizo but sold by LW) turn on for characters all the time. Exactly the same way as the Paizo APG source would turn on.

Addons like my Community Pack or self made sources do NOT auto turn on for new or old characters. This is a feature that LW controls for Licensed products.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:45 AM
Quote:
In my case at least, I've unchecked this product a couple dozen times now. I removed the package from my defaults on day one, but I still have to deselect it every time I open an old portfolio. Doing it once is fine.
Yes this is how HL works and has always worked. I am sorry people are only now seeing it but its not a new feature.

Each character (ie .por file) saves its "Configure Your Hero" settings in dependent of the "Default" configuration you set when HL starts.

So if you open an 'old' character that has not been opened sense you have activated "new" licenses (this includes Temple of Jing) that source will be turn ON by default. To prevent this you have to turn Jing OFF and then save the character again. From then on you will no longer (for that specific) character have that source turned on. But again any new future purchases will turn on for that old character.

Quote:
Having to remember to do it every time I open an old character is the problem.
I agree especially for my group that each campaign is only allowed "some" books and any new ones just TURN on.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
VideoGeek

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
What are you calling a Third-Party Product? The name is not helpful in this case and is confusing.

Do you mean:
1) A Third Party non Paizo product sold through LW?
2) A Third Party URL or addon like the Community Pack?

All Products sold by LW (ie a License) work the way I describe. My Freeport Campaign Setting options (Non-Paizo but sold by LW) turn on for characters all the time. Exactly the same way as the Paizo APG source would turn on.

Addons like my Community Pack or self made sources do NOT auto turn on for new or old characters. This is a feature that LW controls for Licensed products.

Apologies. I mean a non-Paizo LW pack. I keep up with the Paizo releases, and if they add themselves, that's usually fine, and honestly, I'd likely not notice.
VideoGeek is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
jim_hm

Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:28 PM
This is most definitely odd behavior for third party material. And it is annoying as hell.

Also, I just tested it, Shadow, and I'm sorry but the default behavior your insisting on isn't correct, at least in my case. I opened an old profile, and "Jing" from Hammerdog Games automatically checkmarked itself, while several Paizo products I've purchased, including Bestiary 5 and 6, did not automatically include themselves.

Last edited by jim_hm; July 22nd, 2017 at 10:39 PM.
jim_hm is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hm View Post
Also, I just tested it, Shadow, and I'm sorry but the default behavior your insisting on isn't correct, at least in my case. I opened an old profile, and "Jing" from Hammerdog Games automatically checkmarked itself, while several Paizo products I've purchased, including Bestiary 5 and 6, did not automatically include themselves.
I understand its "confusing" cause of all the "exceptions" to how it works.

The confusion is caused when the source existed in HL but was not yet purchased by you (ie it was grayed out). So if I had the character and say the APG source was not purchased and I saved the character NOW HL saves it as the source "off". Meaning if I later purchase the APG the book is 'off' now and you have to Press CTRL-K to activate it. Hence the number of issues on these very forums that people say I purchased something but I can't access the book.

Now then for Jing it was never in a state of "never purchased" it was just in a sate of "everyone licensed" to this source. So no one ever had the chance like B5/B6 to have saved the portfolio with a "grayed out" source option.

I understand without a lower level understanding of HL these source turning on/off seems "random" but it really is not. I reported this issue to LW over 5 years ago and I asked for an ability to turn this feature off. As can be seen by this thread it didn't happen.

This "feature" (or bug) only works correctly when a NEW book just comes out and a player buys it. Then they re-activate their license and open a character that never had the new book grayed out. Then the new book is auto-checked and the gamer is all happy as he starts using the books contents right away. So because of that we have to deal with the side effect of Jing.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; July 23rd, 2017 at 07:43 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:46 AM
P.S. - If I ever give out "false" or even remotely "false" info a LW person corrects me. Usually Mathias but a few times Rob. So the fact that no LW person has corrected what I said is also pretty clear proof that I am imparting info for how HL currently works.

But damn I wish this functionality would change....

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Arjon Smithson

Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:40 AM
Shadow,
Do you ever get a chance to play pathfinder, or is your life spent answering dumb questions from people like me, and serious questions about the intricate workings of this program, which is after all, only supposed to be a tool to help our roleplaying
Arjon Smithson is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjon Smithson View Post
Shadow,
Do you ever get a chance to play pathfinder, or is your life spent answering dumb questions from people like me, and serious questions about the intricate workings of this program, which is after all, only supposed to be a tool to help our roleplaying
LOL well if you mean play as a "player" vs a "DM" that was several years ago.

Honestly the above is not dumb questions at all. I highly doubt many people outside of a handful would ever need to know the low level details of HL. So I am 100% sure it appears random or only happens for the Jing source.

I am just trying to make sure everyone is fully informed about why HL works this way and how. Cause knowing is half the battle!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
jim_hm

Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:14 PM
Fair enough, Shadow. I would never even at my most most persnickety imply you didn't know what you were talking about, hence my "at least for me" qualifier. I respect your work and have personally relied on your expert knowledge too many times over the years.

I apologize if that's how it came across.
jim_hm is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hm View Post
Fair enough, Shadow. I would never even at my most most persnickety imply you didn't know what you were talking about, hence my "at least for me" qualifier. I respect your work and have personally relied on your expert knowledge too many times over the years.

I apologize if that's how it came across.
Nothing to apologize to about at all. Honestly I am just trying to make sure everyone understands the issue. That was all.

I guess my writing comes across as being upset but I am not at all. Not even in the smallest way upset about this.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote