Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Shadow you need to be careful with the Adventure Path monsters too, many of them are in print in the Bestiary books.
Thanks. Which is part of why it takes so long to merge stuff in to the data set. First I do my best to have every official HL package and then have to test to make sure that a) nothing clashes with Duplicate Thing IDs. If it does happen I have to find some work around. Often adding another 2 letters to the name of the Thing in the editor so it no longer clashes.

Then I remove the official packages down to what I know is needed. Then try and reload everything again to make sure someone didn't bootstrap something from another "new" official package. If they did then I often see how much work it is to duplicate the one thing. If too much is being used from a new package then we add it to the list as being required.

Whats happening next is that some editors are using a Race from Official Package because the race is already done. They then create the .por file for say the AP and while the CB loads correctly when the .por file goes to load then the person gets crashes. This one I am not too sure what I plan to do other than using Mathias's RegEx to create a list of all the required packages the .por uses.

So then we would end up with a list that is required to "load" the CB and another to "use" the .por files. Seems like it could get pretty confusing.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #61
ShadowChemosh

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
d20pfsrd - Super Genius Games (vX.XX)

This package is gone see "Pathfinder 3PP Pack" for the latest versions.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; February 8th, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #62
ValaraukarU

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I just got to downloading the community sets. I was wondering why the CotCT Bestiary monsters and generic NPCs were moved from the Stock files in the data directory into por files in the users hero lab portfolios directory?

That is originally I had stock 1 for the unique AP bestiary entries, 1 stock for all the generic NPCs (guards, thugs, and basically normal monsters with extras used during the AP or resident in Korvosa) and por files for named unique NPCs by chapter and a generic NPC por for npcs used throughout.

Just curious what is the preferred approach and why the reorg?
ValaraukarU is offline   #63
ShadowChemosh

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValaraukarU View Post
I just got to downloading the community sets. I was wondering why the CotCT Bestiary monsters and generic NPCs were moved from the Stock files in the data directory into por files in the users hero lab portfolios directory?
Cause at the time I was trying to move everything into .por files as its much much easier to deal with. The .stock files suck! Personally I hate them with a passion after having to fix them and work with them. They make my job twice as hard as it needs to be.

Now then I was sent a bunch of the stuff a .stock files so I added but wish I had not. I am back to where maintaining two sets of files is really not worth the effort. Mostly all my fixes and changes have gone into the .por files as I just don't have the time to do double the same work. Make the fix in the .por and then make it in the .stock.

Maybe eventually when HL allows to create .stock files by importing multiple .por files at once will I be more happy to have them again. Hopefully the ability to also export multiple heroes from the .stock at once. Then it would not be so bad. Maintain the .pors and then just quickly remake the .stock files just before making the .hl file.

In other words I am trying to find ways to make it "less" work to do. Its why I have not been able to get the next release out as it takes more time then I have as I am swamped at work also.

I hope the above does not come across with me sounding like an ass but I am so busy everywhere that I am typing very quickly. I don't mean it that way if that is how it sounds.....

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #64
ChrisRevocateur

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
With all this talk of .por and .stock files, I'm wondering, how do you make a .stock file anyway?
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #65
bodrin

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
*snip*

In other words I am trying to find ways to make it "less" work to do. Its why I have not been able to get the next release out as it takes more time then I have as I am swamped at work also.

I hope the above does not come across with me sounding like an ass but I am so busy everywhere that I am typing very quickly. I don't mean it that way if that is how it sounds.....
I'm taking a break ATM from actual coding , and am prepared to offer assistance with splitting the stock files into separate pors if you need any help.

Let me know!

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

bodrin is offline   #66
ValaraukarU

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
With all this talk of .por and .stock files, I'm wondering, how do you make a .stock file anyway?
Make a portfolio in HL and when you save it select .stock from the drop down and save it in the Hero lab pathfinder data directory.
ValaraukarU is offline   #67
ValaraukarU

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Cause at the time I was trying to move everything into .por files as its much much easier to deal with. The .stock files suck! Personally I hate them with a passion after having to fix them and work with them. They make my job twice as hard as it needs to be.

Now then I was sent a bunch of the stuff a .stock files so I added but wish I had not. I am back to where maintaining two sets of files is really not worth the effort. Mostly all my fixes and changes have gone into the .por files as I just don't have the time to do double the same work. Make the fix in the .por and then make it in the .stock.

Maybe eventually when HL allows to create .stock files by importing multiple .por files at once will I be more happy to have them again. Hopefully the ability to also export multiple heroes from the .stock at once. Then it would not be so bad. Maintain the .pors and then just quickly remake the .stock files just before making the .hl file.

Not sounding like an ass.

If Por are easier for you that makes sense, just noticed some are AP are still stock and some are not. So I was curious. A stock can be manipulated as a por file in HL so I didn't realize there was a problem maintaining them.

I preferred the stock files as a GM, but it won't bother me much since I am using my originals with pics in them instead of the bundled ones.

I can make fixes for my work in CotCT whenever if it saves you time. Although I suspect most of the fixes would be faster to fix then to communicate what is broken to me to fix an then integrate my fix.
ValaraukarU is offline   #68
IconoclasticScream

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I just updated the community files (I hadn't in a long time). Now, when I open most of the portfolios I've created (but not all, and I can't figure out what the difference is) I get this error message:

Errors were encountered when loading the saved portfolio! A record of these errors can be found in the file "C:\Users\RICHAR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\hero_lab_loa d_issues.log". If you notice incorrect behaviors in your portfolio, please report it to the data file authors (you can contact them from the Help menu).

Critical information not found in data files: Source 'Curse of the Crimson Throne Bestiary (by Valarauka'

Any guesses?
IconoclasticScream is offline   #69
ShadowChemosh

Old March 17th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconoclasticScream View Post
Critical information not found in data files: Source 'Curse of the Crimson Throne Bestiary (by Valarauka'
That source was removed when I merged everything into the data set as I just made everything run off the core "CotCT" instead. Thought I had found/changed all the .pors also but I may have missed some. It won't have any lasting effect as if it did you would have gotten a message about a missing "Thing". So its just saying it couldn't find a source but that source has no affect really on the .por or its usage anymore.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #70
Closed Thread