View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 15th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anpumes View Post
Timing is the one thing that continually screws me up. I've read many times that something has to happen around a certain timing and I sort of understand this but when trying to figure out why, I completely get lost. I just don't understand exactly what is happening at what timings or at what times things are supposed to happen.
Yea timing messed with me allot in the beginning and honestly still does. Sometimes I figure out the right timing by simple trial and error. It just helps that I know when a script should work so when it doesn't I know to start looking at the timing.

Some general pointers about Timing:
-Adding Skills bonuses Pre-Level/4000.
-Bootstrap should be about First/490 to First/500 most of the time.
-Changing a race size or class tags it would be First/600.
-Adding situational text or adjusting livename or Text should be Render/1000 or Final/99999999.
-If you want to add attribute value (ie Strength Bonus) to something then Post-Attributes/10000.
-You want to increase/decrease an attribute would be Pre-Level/10000.
-You want to use the calculated value of Hit Dice or Class Levels you want Post-Level/10000 or greater.
-Final Phase should be used to set Text or Show a Final value to the gamer. At this phase doing any calculations or adding bonuses usually does nothing.
-First Phase is used to adjust some values before HL begins to calculate values. Beware though at this phase almost NOTHING has been calculated so you can't trust the value you get form anything.
-Very general rule if making changes or adding bonuses Pre-Level/10000 is safe timing to start at.

Unfortunately those are just "general" pointers as their is many exceptions. Once you get better with scripts and you know a script should be "working" and its not. That is when I start to look at timing and moving it around.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote