View Single Post
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 29th, 2016, 07:14 AM
You guys keeping thinking in terms of OGL not Paizo CUP (Community Use Policy). My HL community stuff already runs under CUP allowing me to use IP names of NPCs or Gods or Classes. Long before LW did the adventure paths my community stuff was already providing all the Monsters and NPCs including IP names of said Monster/NPCs. I have been giving this stuff away for years already and Paizo knows it. The only thing I can't share under CUP is the art work which is why I am very careful to remove all images from the .por files.

Again I point to the existing and legal sites already running under CUP (Archives of Nethys, Pathfinderwiki) already giving away 99% of all Paizo material. The medium that is being used is not important to Paizo. Giving the info in RW or a Website is just as fine as downloadable word documents.

Publishing to Paizo means to sell the material which is not allowed under CUP. I must give away the material for 100% free. In addition I must give the CUP legal information which is easy to do on the home page of a realm.

Now just because this "can" be done does not mean it will get done. The last part is that Modules/Adventures are more useful than information I can pull in from the Pathfinderwiki. And adventures/modules are where Paizo makes money and those can not be put into RW and shared under CUP. That I guarantee you will bring down Paizo's lawyers very quickly. This is where the fact that LW has a license with Paizo will allow them to sell Adventure Paths and Modules and maybe even PFS Scenarios. All things many want but can't be shared under CUP.

In the end Paizo is not WotC and has a very different business model. They have learned that giving away the rules and world information does not lose them money. In fact it makes them money.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote