Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vassago Embrace

Old April 9th, 2017, 05:47 AM
I have been working on unfolding the Dark Dungeon system into Realm Works for about two months. During the last update, when I now open the Realms a message pops up:

"Realm Works has detected structure items with duplicate or reserved names in the realm Dark Dungeons.
In order to perform import, export, or game system conversion, all Categories and Domains in your realm must have unique names which are not reserved by Realm Works. Additionally, all Section Definitions and Snippet Types must have unique names within their Category."

Now, every template that I have created has duplicate names in both their section definitions and snippet types. This basically forces me to start all over again by creating new templates.

Why is wrong to have duplicate names? Where did I fail, what didn't I understand?

Example: If a weapon has six differents ranks of skills (non-proficient, basic, skill, expert, master, grandmaster) and deals different damages if used vs armed opponents or unarmed opponents, it made sense to me to create two sections: one for armed opponents and one for unarmed opponents, and then snippets with the six ranks for each, even if they are getting repeated. Add to this that each rank can have up to four abilities, and therefore Ability1, Ability2, Ability3, Ability4 is repeated many times.

Any insight is welcome.
Vassago Embrace is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 9th, 2017, 06:21 AM
You did nothing really wrong.

The problem lies with how import/export was implemented. We really haven't ever gotten a full explanation but the short of it is that what you'd done is now forbidden.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 9th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I would raise a support ticket (see stickied thread) to have LWD help you understand the exact problem that now exists with your realm, and maybe they have a way to sort it out quicker than creation of a new realm.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 9th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I had two years of data to untangle. Consider yourself lucky with only two months. It's tedious to sort it all out and I wish I had better advice.

Not knowing your game system, would a table be workable rather than individual tags? You could easily create a template in Excel, fill it in quickly and copy/paste it over for each entry. This would allow the ranks and abilities to still be linkable.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 9th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago Embrace View Post
Why is wrong to have duplicate names? Where did I fail, what didn't I understand?
It's a dumb restriction, I agree. As mentioned, LWD did it to smooth out something with imports. Thankfully I only had to change a couple things in my own main realm.

Note that you don't have to change anything, but unless you do you're going to get the annoying dialog each time you open the realm. You also can't import/export/change the game system of the realm, but you may not care about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago Embrace View Post
Example: If a weapon has six differents ranks of skills (non-proficient, basic, skill, expert, master, grandmaster) and deals different damages if used vs armed opponents or unarmed opponents, it made sense to me to create two sections: one for armed opponents and one for unarmed opponents, and then snippets with the six ranks for each, even if they are getting repeated. Add to this that each rank can have up to four abilities, and therefore Ability1, Ability2, Ability3, Ability4 is repeated many times.
Tables for damage sound like the right track along with some structure for abilities. This part of the category might look like this, where each line is a section:

X. Damage
Y. Abilities
Y.1 Non-Proficient
Y.2 Basic
Y.3 Skilled
Y.4 Expert
Y.5 Master
Y.6 Grandmaster

Since the sections have no snippets, they'll each be assigned a default text snippet. In the Damage snippet, put a table for the various levels of damage output vs armed and unarmed. In the Abilities subsections enter the abilities, separating them into individual snippets for each if you wish. (Ctrl-Enter creates a new text snippet below your current one and moves the cursor and any following text to it.)

Don't forget you can duplicate Categories and use the options menu for Categories to move all of their snippets between them.

Hope this gives you some idea of how to move forward.

Last edited by Parody; April 9th, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 9th, 2017, 04:32 PM
It was restricted because it was driving crashes that were going to prove very difficult and lengthy to resolve I believe. Thus the decision was made to implement the restriction so that the community can get access to the content they have been screaming for while a low % of users were actually impacted by the decision.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SteveT
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 10th, 2017, 01:07 PM
If you haven't read it yet, take a look at Rob's post for some more information about this: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57740
SteveT is offline   #7 Reply With Quote