Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I've said it before... but imagine a world where I as the DM can see changes happening to my players happening in real time. Changes to their prepared spells, equipped armor and weapons, level up changes, uses of restricted abilities.
From a security stand point that scares the crap out of me. I don't even let my players current devices onto my internal WiFi network. Let alone allow them to connect to my computer. I see allowing them onto the internal network and to my computer be a huge security hole.

The damage to my real job that could happen if one of my player machines infected my work laptop is really bad. If I didn't notice it and remove it before connected to my companies network could very easily cost me my job.

Yeah no thanks....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #201 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:25 PM
They wouldn't be connecting to your PC.

You connect to the cloud, they connect to the cloud. You're syncing with a server that setup correctly should have a level of protection against your concerns.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #202 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Create a cloud based service that integrates flawlessly with Realm Works and provides support for all of current market leading platforms. Have a web portal that gives players and DMs access to all of the character sheets related to a campaign at any time. Allow full network sync support during live games. Obviously, full phone, tablet, web, PC support is necessary.
Fine until you end up in a place with no wi-fi (or even just open wi-ifi, which you won't use due to security concerns).
Farling is offline   #203 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 28th, 2016, 02:04 AM
There's nothing stopping from creating a service that has an option to output an off-line option. Pdf etc. No single concept will meet the needs of everyone. But that's the point, the RPG market is having a resurgence and technology is taking a huge part in that resurgence. It's going to be more beneficial in the long term to attempt to meet the needs of the larger market share than it is to sit by and think your product is good enough to last through the change.

I pay close attention to a large number of social discussion points related to d&d5e and a huge chunk of them do not even consider hero labs as the first second or third option for character creation.

The question I would be asking is how can that be changed?

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #204 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Quote:
I've said it before... but imagine a world where I as the DM can see changes happening to my players happening in real time. Changes to their prepared spells, equipped armor and weapons, level up changes, uses of restricted abilities.
I have seen you say this before. I am not against HL making improvements and I know for a fact that LW is not against it either. But I read the above and I go that is "cool' and then think how does that really help me DM. Why do I need to see which weapons my players have equipped?

Maybe I am just missing something in this idea is all. How does "live" sync of RW data and HL make my job as a DM easier? Cause I will be honest at this stage its all I care about. How to make my DM job easier.

My opinion is LW meds to make a "real" combat tool for Hero Lab so that I can stop using my 3rd part tool. I have told Colen before all the features it would need to compete against my other tool. THAT would make my life easier as I would not need to transfer data from Hero Lab into my 3rd part tool. IMHO make a useful tactical consule with live sync of dice rolls and I will jump aboard the band wagon.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #205 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 28th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I see a few benefits. Making my life easier and making my life cooler.

Currently you need to have a copy of your player sheets in hero labs to make use of the encounter manager. Now I don't know about you but I get questions like, what do I need to roll for to attack again? Can I do x with spell y? And I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the answer to every question. Now normally I click the target button to go to the character sheet in hero labs to get them a detailed answer.

But.... This is where I get responses like, oh i dropped that spell and have a new one. Or I leveled up last session, your copy isn't up to date yet. We get around this by having the players come and update hero labs at my station. It works but it's annoying and causes delays at level up time.

Then there's the monk who never runs out of Ki points and the barbarian who seems to have too many rages. The system has built in tracking of these abilities and resets on rests but it's increasing my workload to have to track these all myself. I would prefer to have my players do it.

This is where I picture sync playing out. I see what they see. My entire player base would use hero labs if it worked on their phones or tablets. Half already do use it from laptops. The improvement for me would be significant. When they make a change there could be a little summary tracker showing changes to pcs as it happens letting me audit that the changes are happening as the players say they are while also reducing my need to micro-manage my players.

Now in prep it would also be amazing. If I have a question about a player I just look up the sheet. Right now they take the sheets home. This means I have to ask a question and my players instantly jump to why is he asking that question?

I had a situation recently where a PC was robbed by another PC. It was brilliantly executed and completely matched the story-line. It could have been an NPC. I had to request the player sheet, erase something in secret and watch the alarm bells ring. Yes my players should not be meta gaming, but these are new players to raging. They struggle with that concept. It would be so much cooler if I could remove or even add an item in secret if the players fails the necessary check; then they never know why until they actually notice something is missing. I know some players freak out about others changing their sheets but I think the story-line benefits to the table could be really interesting here. Picture an NPC slipping a little statue into a PC's pocket. Ever since, the enemy always seem to know the location of that person.

I believe these sort of changes are necessary to keep up with the market. I am already reading about DMs who are using Roll20 at the table so that they have all the PC's sheets in the same place. Right now, Hero Labs is at risk of falling behind the competition in a market that is surging forward into using online tools.

Just an opinion obviously. I love hero labs above all other tools I have tried. But my players have been slow to adopt due to things like no android support which I see as a telling sign of what the future may hold.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; September 28th, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
daplunk is offline   #206 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Quote:
The web BJ... make Hero Labs for the web... then it will work on anything!
That could be cool!
BJ is offline   #207 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 28th, 2016, 04:15 PM
It's also future proofing.

There are companies already making OS free PCs. The only thing that will load on boot will be a web browser.

Just like companies are working hard to replacing PCs with phones. HPI (aka HP) already have a phone product they are playing around with that will connect to a monitor and keyboard replacing the needing for anyone other than serious gamer's and graphic designers from needing a stand-alone PC.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #208 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 28th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Quote:
It's also future proofing.

There are companies already making OS free PCs. The only thing that will load on boot will be a web browser.

Just like companies are working hard to replacing PCs with phones. HPI (aka HP) already have a phone product they are playing around with that will connect to a monitor and keyboard replacing the needing for anyone other than serious gamer's and graphic designers from needing a stand-alone PC.
Interesting. I know personally, as a person who's family owns multiple devices on various platforms, it would be nice if all the programs worked on all the things. Then again, if that must be accomplished by constant connectivity there are certainly situations in which that would be less than ideal.
BJ is offline   #209 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 28th, 2016, 05:37 PM
I think you guys have already shown with Realm Works that constant connectivity is not required. Sure there are extra features available when the connection i available, but the core aspects of the program works without internet. I would challenge that the same thing would be very possible with HL.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #210 Reply With Quote