Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

redhawk7942

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:34 PM
I was not a backer..sadly... I found out about it to late. I was checking the site weekly waiting for the release...It got disheartening. However, then you released the product. It is EVERYTHING I have ever looked for and works flawlessly. Since then I have said it a dozen times I would rather wait for a great product than get a broken product when its suppose to launch.
I also commend you, VERY FEW companies speak frankly and honestly with their clients. This makes the waiting and the delays less frustrating. So Thank you for being a great company and all the hard work you do.
redhawk7942 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreshade View Post
We got the program, it works. Cool with me. Just so long as a future update doesn't destroy my realm file and backup at the same time, I don't see an issue.

Even without ALL the eventual features in yet it has already made my GM'ing tenfold easier.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts also...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
artdude88

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Rome wasn't build in a day. While I'm a noob to the software, I see good things already, so keep plugging away...
artdude88 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kate

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
That's a hard question to answer, as the new hire will impact the release of the web-based player access. We'll have a better idea of timeline once the new hire is brought up to speed.
Could you say whether it's likely to be on the scale of weeks or months?

I'm not a software developer - I do just enough programming to respect the effort and skill that goes into good commercial software like Realm Works. So I really have no idea whether the web access represents minor changes to the Player Edition, or whether it's like building a whole new Player Edition from scratch.

I ask because although Realm Works is fantastic as-is for organizing my campaign notes, my players are getting a little lost and I need to decide whether it's worth putting the effort into making a player wiki or whether I can wait for that part of Realm Works to come online. I don't want to count on all my players being willing to buy their own Player Edition software, so the rough timeline for web access is important.

Even if you could just give me a ballpark idea of when you'll have the timeline, that would be very helpful.
kate is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
xipehuz

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Transparency is very important, in my book.
So thanks for sharing with us the good, and the bad news.
Keep up the good work, you have my support.
xipehuz is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
PetriWessman

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:48 PM
I'm a professional software designer, and what you describe is, sadly, part of "situation normal" in software projects. Estimating new, complex tasks is hard, and things tend to cascade. In addition, losing team members is always difficult, knowledge transfer isn't easy.

In short, thanks for the honest report, and I completely understand the situation. I'd much, much rather have a solid, working program sometime in the future than a slipshod piece of crap right now. Quality takes time, that's all there is to it.

Keep up the good work

Me, I'm hoping for a Mac (OS X) version sometime down the road; at the moment I'm running RW via Parallels, which works but isn't totally ideal.
PetriWessman is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Jaynay27

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:55 PM
Just a quick one to show my support, along with the other comments noted above.

Thankyou for taking the time to update us and best of luck over the next few months.
Jaynay27 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Ashran

Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:44 AM
Take all the time you need, hiccups like this can and will happen. We have got the main program already and it works real fine. I think most if not all of the community will back you up once again and understand your position
Ashran is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
Could you say whether it's likely to be on the scale of weeks or months?

I'm not a software developer - I do just enough programming to respect the effort and skill that goes into good commercial software like Realm Works. So I really have no idea whether the web access represents minor changes to the Player Edition, or whether it's like building a whole new Player Edition from scratch.

I ask because although Realm Works is fantastic as-is for organizing my campaign notes, my players are getting a little lost and I need to decide whether it's worth putting the effort into making a player wiki or whether I can wait for that part of Realm Works to come online. I don't want to count on all my players being willing to buy their own Player Edition software, so the rough timeline for web access is important.

Even if you could just give me a ballpark idea of when you'll have the timeline, that would be very helpful.
We should have a much better handle on web-based player access in early July. Ideally (i.e. probably just my dreams), we'll have something limited starting to come online this summer that we'll continue evolving from there. But we'll have a much better sense of that possibility in 6-ish weeks.
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Gallinaar

Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:40 AM
You can't keep a good product down. And quality often takes time, perseverance, patience and overcoming obstacles that would threaten success.

RealmWorks is here, and already demonstrates its worth. I expect there are many that are dreaming of its future possibilities while enjoying what it can already do.

I wish the team all the very best with the ongoing demands of a very popular product.
Gallinaar is offline   #20 Reply With Quote