Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sgmendez

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:34 AM
So some background. I am creating a custom Myconid race and am having it start out as a basic Sprout, small size with limited abilities. I am then creating two Feats. One that allows them to become an Adult and gives you new abilities and increases some of their current abilities, and gives you the choice to increase your size category by one. The other allows them to become a Sovereign, again allowing an increase in their size category and gaining some new abilities and increasing abilities again.

I need assistance with how to create these two Feats.

How do you make Race a prerequisite for a Feat?
Is it possible to have a Feat give you the option to increase your size category? Or do I need to just have them use an adjustment?
Is it possible to have a Feat overwrite another racial ability changing its text?
How do you have a Feat add an ability to a race?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Sgmendez is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:30 AM
There's a race in the sword coast guide that has a racial feet. Pretty sure it's the deep gnomes swirv**** magic. Yup can't remember the spelling.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sgmendez

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
There's a race in the sword coast guide that has a racial feet. Pretty sure it's the deep gnomes swirv**** magic. Yup can't remember the spelling.
Thank you, I will take a look at it to see how they implemented it.
Sgmendez is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgmendez View Post
How do you make Race a prerequisite for a Feat?
Code:
#hasrace[RACE UNIQUE ID] <> 0
Quote:
Is it possible to have a Feat give you the option to increase your size category?
Yes. The simple way would be to copy the logic from the adjustment into your new feat.

Quote:
Is it possible to have a Feat overwrite another racial ability changing its text?
You don't normally do this. You would be better to Disable the ability and add the new ability with the new text. You can add the new racial ability by bootstrapping it to the feat.

Quote:
How do you have a Feat add an ability to a race?
Bootstrap the racial ability to the feat.

I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos. Welcome to the wonderful world of using the HL editor which will be the most frustrating and rewarding thing you can do with Hero Lab.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sgmendez

Old April 24th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yes. The simple way would be to copy the logic from the adjustment into your new feat.
I couldn't get this to work, but I figured I could just use the adjustment for now. It's not a particularly high priority, just a convenience for the player.

Quote:
You don't normally do this. You would be better to Disable the ability and add the new ability with the new text. You can add the new racial ability by bootstrapping it to the feat.
I actually thought of this just before reading your post. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to Disable abilities. I couldn't find that in the FAQ/Tutorials either. How do you Disable something?

Quote:
Bootstrap the racial ability to the feat.
Thank you.

Quote:
I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos. Welcome to the wonderful world of using the HL editor which will be the most frustrating and rewarding thing you can do with Hero Lab.
Thank you. I have been creating simple stuff in the editor for a while now but some of the more "complex" stuff like this are pretty foreign to me. I am slowly learning that stuff as I run into situations where I need them. Again thank you Shadow.
Sgmendez is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 24th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Quote:
I actually thought of this just before reading your post. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to Disable abilities. I couldn't find that in the FAQ/Tutorials either. How do you Disable something?
The Tutorials teach you how to do basic operations and then how to "find" other Things that do similar logic. Then you copy/paste the parts you need.

Trying to have a tutorial that covers EVERY possible rule in existence is not going to happen. In this case making use of the Community Pack can provide many examples of scripts to copy from.

For disabling an ability you need to do this:
Code:
perform hero.childfound[UNIQUE ID HERE].assign[Helper.Disable]
The issue is to make sure your timing is "BEFORE" the scripts on the racial ability run. For that you will have to do a New(Copy) in the editor for the ability and check for when its scripts are running.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sgmendez

Old April 24th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
The Tutorials teach you how to do basic operations and then how to "find" other Things that do similar logic. Then you copy/paste the parts you need.

Trying to have a tutorial that covers EVERY possible rule in existence is not going to happen. In this case making use of the Community Pack can provide many examples of scripts to copy from.

For disabling an ability you need to do this:
Code:
perform hero.childfound[UNIQUE ID HERE].assign[Helper.Disable]
The issue is to make sure your timing is "BEFORE" the scripts on the racial ability run. For that you will have to do a New(Copy) in the editor for the ability and check for when its scripts are running.
Awesome, thank you. And with your suggestion on looking for examples of what I am trying to do I was able to find
Code:
perform hero.childfound[UNIQUE ID HERE].delete[Helper.ShowSpec]
to hide the old version of the ability in the Special tab. I had to look at Pathfinder archetypes to find it, but I found it. Again, thank you so much.

Last edited by Sgmendez; April 24th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Sgmendez is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 24th, 2017, 02:46 PM
A really helpful resource is the community pack Github. Just use the search option at the top. Type the name of a 'thing' you are trying to play with into the search and it will return all of the code that exists already where that 'thing' has been modified.

There's also a wiki there where i keep a record of things that have worked for me.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sgmendez

Old April 25th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
A really helpful resource is the community pack Github. Just use the search option at the top. Type the name of a 'thing' you are trying to play with into the search and it will return all of the code that exists already where that 'thing' has been modified.

There's also a wiki there where i keep a record of things that have worked for me.
I will take a look at the Github and bookmark it for future reference. Thank you.
Sgmendez is offline   #9 Reply With Quote