Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Timitius

Old June 12th, 2014, 02:10 PM
So, I'm running version 5.1.2. (#10432). I updated via the App Store, when the app came up as having an update through the store, and didn't think much more about it.

Today, I tried to open the app, and it stayed open for 2 seconds, and immediately closed. If I double click my button, Hero Lab shows that it is still open (as a screen image is there). So, I select it, and it stays on-screen for 2 seconds....and closes again. I cannot do anything else with the app. I have tried shutting down the Ipad, and restarting....same result.

I have the "new" Ipad, 32 GB, Wifi only.

Solutions?

Thanks.
Timitius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 12th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timitius View Post
Solutions? Thanks.
I would recommend emailing support support@wolflair.com.

A couple options you can try:
1) Force close the HL app. See Apple support for how to do this.

2) Reboot the iPad and try again. Reboot help page.

All I can say is just tried my iPad with the latest Community Super pack and it worked without issues...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Timitius

Old June 12th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Yes, I've done the force close. No luck.
I've also rebooted, several times. No luck.

Update: removed it and reinstalled, and uploaded my character portfolios. Works fine again. No idea what happened, but it worked!

Last edited by Timitius; June 12th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
Timitius is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 13th, 2014, 05:32 PM
This problem hits me regularly (I've emailed support about it).

If it strikes again (which it likely will), close down all of your background apps:

Double-press the home button to bring up your "recently used apps". Swipe upwards on each app. This will drop it from the iPad's memory, freeing up space for HL. (If you're running a version of iOS before 7.0, hold one of the icons until they start shaking, then click the "-" to get the same result.)
Chemlak is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old June 14th, 2014, 04:45 AM
I had that problem with my iPad 2.. I even went so far as to uninstall it and reinstall it with no luck.
But this year for my birthday.. my wife bought me the iPad Air.. now it opens with no problems. So I guess what I am saying is that it might be the version of the iPad that might be of issue?
Nikmal is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Korlen

Old June 15th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Shadow, I hate to say it, but I've been experiencing the same issue, and spent the last couple hours troubleshooting. Here is what happened. I'm using an iPad Mini.

Attempt One: Removed and reinstalled Hero Lab Play v5.1.2, and Pathfinder RPG v9.4

Default characters loaded fine.
Player characters loaded with the appropriate issue warnings due to things not found.

Added personal mod pack (.hl)

Default characters loaded fine.
Player characters loaded with a few less issued warnings.

Added iPad Community Super Pack v1.11

Loading default characters beyond 1st level would close the app after 20 seconds.
Loading 1st level default characters was stable.
Player characters would not load at all, and app would close after 20 seconds.

Attempt Two

Repeated process but used Community Player Pack v2.17

All portfolios load without error and are stable.

Frankly, I don't know what exactly is causing the issue, but I have to suspect the issue lies within the Super Pack. I'd be willing to test further if I can get access to the last version of the Super Pack before version 1.11.
Korlen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I always leave the last working version of a community package on the server. So 1.09 of the super pack can be downloaded HERE.

The issues I have heard about the mini's is more limited memory and its possible that you have hit that with the addition of all the mythic stuff that the CB added.

I know I had asked LW before about number of .user file limits and I was told their was not one. If you can duplicate it my advice is to make sure you email LW support so Colen can know. I am of course happy to work with LW on making any changes that are necessary to make things work better.

In my group I have access to iPads 2 to Air and they all run my houserules package which is almost as big as the super pack. We just had a game two nights ago and it was all working fine. Unfortunately I have no access to a mini to test so any info is of course welcome.....

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ethanism

Old June 16th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I've been having issues getting certain community portfolios to open on my iPad2 as well. Here are the relevant versions I'm using, in case that matters:
  • iOS 7.1.1 (11D201)
  • Hero Lab v5.1.2 (#10432)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game 9.3/9.4
  • iPad Community Super Pack 1.11/1.12

In an effort to determine the possible cause, I performed the following troubleshooting:
  • Uninstall HL from iPad
  • Reboot iPad
  • Reinstall HL from App Store
  • Attempt to load stock PC portfolios (iconic characters), which load fine
  • Attempt to open a portfolio with all my PCs ("PCs.por" created in Hero Lab for PC, with the Community Bestiary installed, and transferred to iPad via Google Drive). This portfolio loaded okay, with some expected errors about unreferenced objects.
  • Attempt to open a Community Adventure Path Portfolio ("C1BlueBightsEmbrace.por" from the Skulls & Shackles AP, Book 2), this opens fine w/some expected unreferenced object errors.
  • Update Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from 9.3 to 9.4
  • Attempt to open PCs.por, which opens fine with the same (expected) errors as above.
  • Attempt to open C1BlueBightsEmbrace.por, which opens fine with the same (expected) errors as above.
  • Install iPad Community Super Pack v1.11 via "New Update Source" method directly on the iPad.
  • Attempt to open same two test portfolios, which now both open correctly w/o and unreferenced object errors.
  • Notice available update to iPad Community Super Pack v1.12; download and install it after removing previous iPad Community Super Pack version.
  • Both test portfolios load fine w/o errors.
  • Download another community portfolio I would like to use ("Event17AMightyFortress.por" from Skulls & Shackles Book 2).
  • Attempt to load this portfolio, which brings up the loading screen, then drops me back to the iPad home screen after about 5 seconds. HL still appears to be running (in the double-click app list), and I can switch to it but I'm still at the "Select Portfolio" page.

The only thing I could think of that might cause this would be the size of the portfolio (31 heroes instead of 5, 7, or 8 that my previous test had), but I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting beyond this point. Is there anything I can do to help determine the cause of the "crash"?
ethanism is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanism View Post
portfolio (31 heroes instead of 5, 7, or 8 that my previous test had), but I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting beyond this point. Is there anything I can do to help determine the cause of the "crash"?
I do appreciate the test notes!!

But OMG!!!!!!

The iPad was made for running single characters with maybe one or two animal companions. A .por that has 31 files in it is WAY OVER what the iPad can handle. Many peoples laptops will have issues with 31 characters in a .por file let alone a tablet.

I have seen a few mentions of DM's trying to use the iPad app for running encounters and I don't think it is meant to do this at all. So I would never expect it to be able to handle 31 characters at once. The amount of memory and CPU required is huge as each character is almost a doubling of the resources needed.

Is this the same as others trying to load .por files with large number of characters? Or is the issue appearing for others even with a single character in a .por file?

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:12 PM
iPads have much less RAM than desktop or laptop computers. I do not recommend loading more than a couple of characters in each portfolio when using the iPad version of Hero Lab, even on an iPad 3, which has significantly more RAM than an iPad 2. A PC can handle that many characters at once, but for use on an iPad, I recommend splitting that into several portfolios, so that only a few characters are loaded at once.

iOS's solution to running out of RAM is to close the offending program without giving any error messages.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote