Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ethanism

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Oh, I see. That would explain the behavior I'm seeing.

And yes, I was hoping to be able to use it to run encounters since it seemed like that was the intent of the design (with all the dice rolling, equipment swapping, damage, status effect, and healing application right there at your fingertips). Perhaps I can break up the huge portfolios which were grabbed straight off the d20pfsrd community repository (Thank you Tim!) into smaller bits that the iPad can handle.
Too bad you can't just throw a few more SODIMMs into that puppy to bump up the RAM count. Oh well.

Thanks for all of your quick responses, btw.
ethanism is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:17 PM
The intent of the design was for one PC (and maybe his animal companion) to run on each iPad - we figured GMs would use a laptop running HL with the Tactical Console open, since the tactical console does a better job of showing you the whole encounter at once, rather than the constant switching between characters that the iPad requires, if you've got more than one character open.

Once we've gotten more of the basics implemented for tablets, we may be able to build a tactical console-like thing for tablets, although that might end up requiring future generations of the tablets themselves in order to have enough processor power and RAM to handle large combats.
Mathias is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ethanism

Old June 16th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Ahh, yes, that does make a bit more sense. I appreciate your input on this and now I have a much better idea of how I might run things to make it more streamlined. Also, thank you both for all your hard work on this excellent product and community. Cheers!
ethanism is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Korlen

Old June 17th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I think I solved my problem after looking at it via the PC instead of my iPad mini. PFRPG_Wayfinder_01.user and Wayfinder_02.user, from the Repository, are definitely NOT compatible with the current versions anymore. This was causing the CPP to error out (and not show up during character creation) in the PC, and kept me from installing any of Shadow's updates via the iPad. Once removed, all the .user and .hl files became available.
Korlen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 17th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korlen View Post
I think I solved my problem after looking at it via the PC instead of my iPad mini. PFRPG_Wayfinder_01.user and Wayfinder_02.user, from the Repository, are definitely NOT compatible with the current versions anymore. This was causing the CPP to error out (and not show up during character creation) in the PC, and kept me from installing any of Shadow's updates via the iPad. Once removed, all the .user and .hl files became available.
Interesting. I will see about fixing those as soon as I can. I admit I don't watch those as close as I do the packages.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 21st, 2014, 04:30 PM
There's "something" going on with the Super Pack. Problem being I have no way to figure out what.

iPad 2, same as most people suffering problems (which suggests a memory overload issue), and earlier I stripped the CSP out and I'm able to access all of my single-character portfolios. Prior to this, it would crash constantly, unable to load any portfolios at all (even the stock ones). I do still get a crash if I try to bring up my party portfolio (which has 6 characters, a kingdom, and a henchman in it), but the individual portfolios don't have any problems at all.

To give you an idea, I'd given up using HL on my iPad months ago because I couldn't get it to load a portfolio stably.

Now, I suspect that the CSP plus HL, pushes an iPad 2 to the very limit (I've deleted and reinstalled several times, made sure I closed all of my apps on the tablet, you name it), and the effort to load even one of the stock portfolios pushes it beyond the limit.

Not the end of the world, but a potential problem for some users.
Chemlak is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Korlen

Old June 21st, 2014, 05:47 PM
Chemlak, after my own experience I would recommend looking at your PC for some .user files that aren't playing nicely with the Community Pack. An error there can get into your portfolios on your iPad when you upload them, and Hero Lab Play doesn't have a way to show you the error other than shutting down. If your portfolios are not in the same folder as HL, you can elect to (first, find and record your license number for Hero Lab) uninstall/reinstall Hero Lab.
Korlen is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:11 AM
I'll take an in-depth look later. I have several backups of my portfolios already, so pretty trivial to drop things where I want them. My current crop of characters are all free of anything from the the Community Pack (complete coincidence) so I've switched it off on them.

Will post later.
Chemlak is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:53 AM
Shows you what I know. Turns out that the only community generated stuff I have on my desktop copy of HL are ShadowChemosh's adjustments and RavenX's Forgotten Realms files. I also have my own .user file.

In the interests of seeing where a conflict might crop up, I downloaded the whole kit and caboodle of community stuff (except the CPP to avoid the conflict with the community Bestiary), switched the whole lot on for a character that it wouldn't cause any extraneous errors to, and I get nothing wrong. Reboot HL, no errors. Load backup portfolio that I'm actively trying to break with this exercise, no errors.

If there's a problem in a .user file somewhere, it's hiding pretty darn well.
Chemlak is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Shows you what I know. Turns out that the only community generated stuff I have on my desktop copy of HL are ShadowChemosh's adjustments and RavenX's Forgotten Realms files. I also have my own .user file.

In the interests of seeing where a conflict might crop up, I downloaded the whole kit and caboodle of community stuff (except the CPP to avoid the conflict with the community Bestiary), switched the whole lot on for a character that it wouldn't cause any extraneous errors to, and I get nothing wrong. Reboot HL, no errors. Load backup portfolio that I'm actively trying to break with this exercise, no errors.

If there's a problem in a .user file somewhere, it's hiding pretty darn well.
Are you trying to break Windows HL here or the iPad? HL Windows/Mac is very stable and has allot more memory than a tablet so I would be shocked to find it having issues.

You can of course just create your own package to load to the iPad if you wish. Keep the windows/mac version up to date and then create package from it. So that way it would only have FR and my adjustments file.

See THIS help page for doing that.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote