Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

CNYGamer

Old March 12th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Is there a way for me to override text from various features? I DM a game and for the backgrounds, spells, etc. that are specifically selected by my players, I'd like to enter in the full text from the Player's Handbook instead of "placeholder" that appears in many places in the community files.

What I don't want to do is edit the actual .user files from the community files because then my changes would be lost the next time where is a community file update.

Thanks.

CNYGamer
CNYGamer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 12th, 2016, 09:10 AM
See THIS post.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old March 13th, 2016, 05:51 AM
ShadowChemosh,

Would you be willing to give me a more detailed example of how to do this? For example, if I wanted to change the description text of the background ideal called "beauty" (bt5CBeaut) for the Entertainer background from "placeholder" to "looks good" how would I accomplish this without actually making changes to the 5e community .user files?

Thanks in advance for any information. Coming into this cold, it can be tough to get a toe hold to get started.

CNYGamer
CNYGamer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYGamer View Post
Coming into this cold, it can be tough to get a toe hold to get started.
How cold? You never used the editor before? I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos. The first few videos go through creating your first .user file and some basic scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYGamer View Post
if I wanted to change the description text of the background ideal called "beauty" (bt5CBeaut) for the Entertainer background from "placeholder" to "looks good" how would I accomplish this without actually making changes to the 5e community .user files?
Once you get a handle on the editor. You best bet would be to make a new mechanic with a script as follows:

Code:
perform state.thing[bt5CBeaut].amendthing[description,"looks good"]

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I've used the editor and successfully added in my own items to my game, so not completely cold. I just didn't understand how to replace something that was already created. Anyway, I created a new mechanic in the editor and added in the perform command you mentioned, and it works nicely.

Thank you very much.

CNYGamer
CNYGamer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Thank also, this was just what I was looking for as well!
ri_gamer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 13th, 2016, 12:37 PM
No problem.

Going to leave a small "FYI" note. That if you put several hundred of these scripts to change names/description it "could" start to affect performance especially on a tablet. My houserules file for Pathfinder maybe does a few dozen of these and no issues.

But if you get into updating the "full" text into everything you may cause issues.

Last FYI is maybe a better way is that daplunk has asked for help making "paraphrased" text that we can then use into the community Pack. As long as you keep the wording to just "mechanics" or change 75% of the wording the community is safe to use it. Then "everyone" could get a benefit out of the effort.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old March 13th, 2016, 02:44 PM
What I started doing was to put the actual description in the new Mechanics 'thing' and put the following in the eval script:

perform state.thing[communityThingId].amendthing[description,field[descript].text]
ri_gamer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote