Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 10th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I have this vision of you going around with snips cutting everyone's ethernet cables, "NO DATA FOR YOU!".
LOL me and written words do not always get along.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old May 10th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Would someone mind explaining to me (in layman's terms) how I would transfer a .por file from my computer to my iPad, without using Dropbox? May as well as get used to it now. I have a game tomorrow night where I'm playing 2 characters, and prefer to run one character on my PC and the other on my iPad.
Krothos is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 10th, 2017, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
Would someone mind explaining to me (in layman's terms) how I would transfer a .por file from my computer to my iPad, without using Dropbox? May as well as get used to it now. I have a game tomorrow night where I'm playing 2 characters, and prefer to run one character on my PC and the other on my iPad.
I'm fairly sure that you will be able to find the file in the Dropbox app, and then do the "share" thing to load it into HeroLab, just like you can send a file to many other apps.

However, the file will then be stored locally in HeroLab, and any changes you make will NOT be updated within the DropBox copy.
Farling is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 11th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
In the iPad, on the screen where you're selecting characters, choose "Get Help" at the bottom, and then choose "How to Use Hero Lab", and then #3: "How do I move characters to my iPad?"
Mathias is online now   #34 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old May 11th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the iPad, on the screen where you're selecting characters, choose "Get Help" at the bottom, and then choose "How to Use Hero Lab", and then #3: "How do I move characters to my iPad?"
Thanks!
Krothos is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old May 13th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I don't suppose this can be worked around on the client side by just not updating Dropbox?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 13th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
I don't suppose this can be worked around on the client side by just not updating Dropbox?
I think the problem is Dropbox dropping support for the API on their servers, not just the local app.
Farling is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:26 AM
I would very much like to see support for another file sharing system either LW run, publicly run or private server (I run). I have a whole group (8 people) that use iPads and the current Dropbox implementation is OK. The current approach doesn't let me share the Hero Lab folder nor does it support sub-folders at all. This is kinda clunky as I have to manually move the file around when we switch GMs.

But, as I said, it's way better than nothing. The iPads will become very, very hard to use without some type of easy sync to the outside world. How about TFTP/FTP/SFTP-Sync?

Kizan

Me: How bad could it be?
Him: What's the worst that could happen?
Kizan is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old May 17th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Google Drive support?
Krothos is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Zan Thrax

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
This only affects Hero Lab for iPad, and the built-in Dropbox syncing for that app. Hero Lab doesn't directly talk to Dropbox in any other way - it won't affect sharing your characters between your laptop and desktop using Dropbox, or updates files hosted by dropbox, or anything like that. All that stuff is built in to the Dropbox client you have installed and won't change.

This change means that there will no longer be a "Files in Dropbox" section on the "Select Portfolio" screen on HL for iPad. That's all.
The first I knew of this was the mention in the last email. Losing dropbox support on the ipad is hugely damaging to the way I use Hero Lab. Ever since I first saw the dropbox feature on the ipad, I started saving everything to my dropbox on my desktop and more recently on my laptop as well so that I always have all my files, without worrying about which device I started them on or last modified them on. If I have to manually move portfolios on and off the ipad, I'll probably just stop using my ipad for hero lab at all, despite how much better the iPad UI is for playing at the table. (Actually, I don't even know how to move portfolios on and off the ipad manually. I know that apple won't just let me plug a usb cable into it and copy files directly.)

If using the newer Dropbox API isn't practical, is there any chance of having google drive support instead? Our group already uses drive to keep notes, share character art, and provide our portfolios to our GM, so it'd be a nice upgrade for us.

(Better yet, is there any chance that there might be an android version of Hero Lab with the ipad-style UI at some point? Hero Lab is the only reason that my ipad isn't sitting in a drawer gathering dust. Everything else that I use it for could be done better and easier on an android tablet on which file management is simple instead of locked away from the user.)
Zan Thrax is offline   #40 Reply With Quote