Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Techgnosis

Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
@Techgnosis, if you're talking about the "change interface role" menu, that's actually for the Hero Lab team to use for debugging - it lets them load the iPad user interface in the main version of Hero Lab to see how things look. The interface isn't fully supported, so it's not available for use in the desktop version.

We're discussing some options for tablet users, but we don't have anything to announce right now. Believe me when I say that we hear the Android and Windows users.
Liz,
No I was referring to the tab marked "Play" on the iPad. Basically that (In my opinion) needs to be an option on the "desktop" version as well so it can be used on laptops or Windows tablets.
Pretty much, what Exmortis said in his last post. Keeping track of a party full of buffs / debuffs on paper is a pain in the tushy, the iPad makes the math SO much saner.
Techgnosis is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old December 2nd, 2015, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgnosis View Post
Liz,
No I was referring to the tab marked "Play" on the iPad. Basically that (In my opinion) needs to be an option on the "desktop" version as well so it can be used on laptops or Windows tablets.
Pretty much, what Exmortis said in his last post. Keeping track of a party full of buffs / debuffs on paper is a pain in the tushy, the iPad makes the math SO much saner.
Techgnosis, currently you make it sound like all you are asking for is a way to turn on/off buffs that you might obtain. This is currently doable already in Hero Labs PC version.

In the "in play" tab you can turn on abilities like "power attack" and class abilities. As for the ability to get adjustments from stuff like spells cast on you or abilities like the bards "inspired courage" you can use the adjust tab. And for things like ability damage you can look under other adjustment.

For example to turn on "inspire courage". Go to the Adjust tab select "Add new adjustment" under "Conferred ability adjustment" and select "Bard: Inspire Courage" from the list and select the correct bonus value using the arrows or clicking on the "+1" and filling out the value.

Last edited by Togainu; December 2nd, 2015 at 07:37 AM.
Togainu is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Techgnosis

Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togainu View Post
Techgnosis, currently you make it sound like all you are asking for is a way to turn on/off buffs that you might obtain. This is currently doable already in Hero Labs PC version.
As part of it. The iPad version (if you have never used it, and part of what I am hoping to see added) includes an interactive character sheet, including dice rolls that include the adjusted math. Math and me do not get along, so having it calculated for me is a godsend, particularly when there are piles of dice involved.
Techgnosis is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgnosis View Post
As part of it. The iPad version (if you have never used it, and part of what I am hoping to see added) includes an interactive character sheet, including dice rolls that include the adjusted math. Math and me do not get along, so having it calculated for me is a godsend, particularly when there are piles of dice involved.
I guess that is where our opinions differ I will never roll digital dice for my games (can sort of see the appeal for some though). For the simple reason they will never accurately represent what the actual dice goes through and the way those things affect a roll. Together with the bond you can build with your actual dice by the situations it helped you through

As for making the math easier, I guess that is true. If I was in your situation I would actually try to stay clear of it myself even more in that case. Cause it gives you extra practice and over time will become easier. But that is own preference.
Togainu is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Accurate Dice?

You need to watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=MRzg_M8pQms

then this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI3N...layer_embedded

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:23 PM
I never said the dice were accurate, that is something that really depends on the craft. Just that programming doesn't accurately represent dice rolls because of a lot of factors. From being reliant on for example processor clock or other "random" number generator to the never getting wear and tear on the dice that will effect it eventually.

But as I said for me it is mostly about building the bond with your dice for getting through the tough situations together. Just make sure you do have well made dice just for fairness if going that route
Togainu is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:36 PM
Just to chime in. I never allowed computer random dice rollers at our table for a long time. Because they are not truly random. Yes they get "close" but its still based on a logical pattern. Because of the iPads at the game table I have finally relented and let the players use it if they wish as it helps speed up the game. Most gamers are not good with Math....

Player: I rolled a 17 +5 is 25!
Me:
Player: No wait 27!
Me:
Player: 23!
Player 2: Did you add in Bless?
Player: 24!
Me: Is that your final answer?

On the other side I am with Togainu I like my dice. I like rolling dice as a player (not as DM). So when I do get to play I have my iPad but I almost never use it roll dice. I just like the feel and sound of the dice clattering on the table.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 4th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I am a dice guy myself, I didn't mean to target you Tman, just pointing out that dice are not all that accurate, and as you stated neither are dice rollers.

I spent a fortune on metal dice, and boy did they look sweet...for about 1 month. Now I am whole regretting the purchase. Nicked, chipped, dented, I am now looking to replace them with not even 6months of use.

So either Game science dice or Stone dice, have not decided.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ShadowWalker

Old December 6th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Dice are for sound effects.
ShadowWalker is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old December 8th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I am a dice guy myself, I didn't mean to target you Tman, just pointing out that dice are not all that accurate, and as you stated neither are dice rollers.

I spent a fortune on metal dice, and boy did they look sweet...for about 1 month. Now I am whole regretting the purchase. Nicked, chipped, dented, I am now looking to replace them with not even 6months of use.

So either Game science dice or Stone dice, have not decided.
Damn you, now I went and ordered myself some game science dice...

I'm one of those "dice collectors" and I was intriqued by their d3, d5, d14, d16, d24 dice so got one of the 12 dice sets and 2 d20 for all my players for Christmas

You can NEVER have enough dice! (And I'm with the "I'll never use digital" dice. I feel at that point we might as well stay home and all get on a MMORPG then.)

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #20 Reply With Quote