Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mototom

Old October 11th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Is there a way to apply diseases as a condition in Hero Lab, or is the only option to apply the effects of the disease through adjustments?

That works fine but it would be nice if we could add diseases like we do spell effects. Currently, for something like filth fever, I have to add two Ability Score Damage adjustments for the dexterity and constitution damage, and I have to squeeze details like onset, frequency, and DC into the small notes field. Is there a better way to do this that I haven't noticed?
mototom is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 11th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototom View Post
Is there a way to apply diseases as a condition in Hero Lab, or is the only option to apply the effects of the disease through adjustments?
Because the disease list grows with every monster its not really a great use of LW resources to add them. You found the correct way of applying the adjustments that are needed.

Quote:
That works fine but it would be nice if we could add diseases like we do spell effects. Currently, for something like filth fever, I have to add two Ability Score Damage adjustments for the dexterity and constitution damage, and I have to squeeze details like onset, frequency, and DC into the small notes field. Is there a better way to do this that I haven't noticed?
This is the right way to do it. Not sure why a player would need to enter the details of the disease as that is DM information. The only thing the player should be tracking is the 'effects' the damage to ability scores or other conditions.

Of course if you don't agree with any of the above LW gave us the editor and you can feel free to make Disease Adjustments. You can then even go one step further and share those files with the community at large. I would be happy to add such a feature to the community Packs.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old October 11th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
This is the right way to do it. Not sure why a player would need to enter the details of the disease as that is DM information. The only thing the player should be tracking is the 'effects' the damage to ability scores or other conditions.
Thanks for the answer!

I have copies of my group's characters in my Hero Lab portfolio. In some cases I apply the penalties for them, and in some cases I apply the disease effect to track it prior to onset. I.e., they fail their initial saving throw, have no immediate effects, and aren't aware they have contracted a disease yet.

Maybe it's time I figured out how to use that editor! Is there a beginner's guide somewhere? Advice on where to start?
mototom is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 12th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Maybe it's time I figured out how to use that editor! Is there a beginner's guide somewhere? Advice on where to start?
When you start up HL, under the Help menu is "Hero Lab manual". Once that opens, select "Creating custom material" and that will give you a general guide. Once you load the editor itself, you can select "Help on using the editor" from the Help menu there - this has basic instructions and tutorials.

My suggestion in creating a 'disease' condition/adjustment would be to load something with a similar effect with "New (Copy)" and then modify that to suit what you are making.
Dami is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 12th, 2015, 08:13 PM
In addition see FAQ#2 for all the places including links to the official and unofficial videos for the editor.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old October 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the help.
mototom is offline   #6 Reply With Quote