Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

The Senator

Old April 29th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Hero Lab is amazing and I recommend everyone get it. Personally, I've invested in the product and the core books and will continue because, as hobbies go, this one's cheap. No seriously - Do you know much it costs to play golf for a year? Consider how many hours of enjoyment will you get from Pathfinder this year... Books, PDFs, HL packages, minis, store fees... this is a bargain hobby.

But there's always going to be gamers at your table who don't want to invest in their own books. Maybe their cheap, maybe they don't have disposable cash - I'm not making judgements but when I see a player (usually a kid) at the game store toddle over to the shelves to consult a book he doesn't own, I cringe just a bit because I know it's Magic (the TCG, not actual magic) keeping the place open.

Difference in this case is that there's d20pfsrd.com and PCgen available online - All the Pathfinder resources and a reasonable character creator for free - Lone Wolf makes a great product but your not forced into buying it. I use HL to track my players and to validate their character sheets. I even print their sheets out every now and again and I send them their character file so they can stick it on their iPad - which I believe is free.

One of my favorite parts of Pathfinder is the support from 3rd parties like LW. There are many reasons I just don't see myself buying 5th edition but lack of a character builder and online support are the two I'll cite first.

Last edited by The Senator; April 29th, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
The Senator is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 4th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Where I live, I can play 18 holes at the municipal golf course for $11, which isn't all that much, even just playing once a month during the warmer months. I get far more use out of hero lab than my golf clubs, and a lot less time cleaning the computer off. I honestly keep the computer near the game table so I can run the game with hero lab's tactical console. This feature makes it easy for me to run games I pretty much run the game through hero lab each week.

The comic shops out here that I frequent don't allow people to peruse the books on the shelf unless they intend to purchase. The owner found a few too many missing books on the shelf and decided to move all the books closer to the cash register where he could keep an eye on them. He figured it was the MTG crowd stealing them but couldn't prove it and didn't have cameras back then. He's added cameras as well, but there was a time that too many books were just disappearing off his shelves.

5th edition I'm reserving judgment upon until I get my hands on the core rulebooks. I wasn't happy with the playtest packets but the WotC blogs have alluded to a large number of changes to the system after the final playtest was released. I will see what the books have in them before I decide whether to run it or not.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old May 8th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Well... the app for hero lab on the ipad is free.

You can have them all create characters using your computer, and then have their own ipads running their characters sheet. All of my players have hero lab accounts, but when I have a player that doesn't, we just hand him an ipad (or he brings his own - I have 3 ipads) and we load his character on it.

It works for us.
Globetrotter is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Mathizsias

Old May 20th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
If you're legitimately purchasing a Windows Server, and the CALS for it... Hero Lab is a bargain in comparison.
Not when you have 200 dollars invested in the modules, etc. Azure isn't that expensive when spread around in a group, that same server could also be used for purposes of MapTool, etc..
Mathizsias is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Just to point out, you don't need Windows Server to do this. Windows Professional and Enterprise both include Remote Desktop Services, and you can log on to them with multiple users at a time. Just set up a windows user for each player in the group, and they can all connect simultaneously, and each run Hero Lab within their session. As long as they aren't trying to manipulate the same portfolio, it works great.

I did go the extra step of using policy to set the shell of these windows accounts to the Hero Lab exe, so that when they log on, it runs hero lab directly, and only. Closing hero lab logs the user out. Very streamlined.
Fuzzy is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 16th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
Fair point.

I think it depends on your group. Most of my friends are averse to having electronics at all at the table, and spending money on software they could spend on books is against their religion.
There was a time my group was like that too. And for good reason, when it was just one or two of us with devices, it tended to be used far more as a distraction then a benefit to the game. However now we all have lappys or tablets at the gaming table, when I GM I have both tablet and lappy as well as use an external 24' screen for players.

It has enhanced our play, removed a ton of errors, HL is many times faster, better and far fewer errors then old school paper, and when buffs are handed out 3 or 4 casters deep? HL takes care of it all, stacking, overlap, no more discussins rule look ups, correcting of others mistakes. Nope you enable it in HL and done.

To your players who buy books, HL is cheaper than books, in fact, you can buy the entire Pathfinder books set, hard cover and softcover for little less than half the cost of hard books, you may want to bring this to their attention. Assuming most have laptops anyway and do not have to buy them, its more efficient and cheaper to buy HL and data packages than books.

And the real winner? Your back and shoulders, I walk in to the gaming table with a tablet, a pen, few sheets of paper, a mouse and my dice. Not a duffle bag of books and a backpack of binders. As GM I walk in with a backpack with Lappy, tablet and paper, dice, still light in comparison.

I bought HL over time, one pack every pay check, made it much easier on the pocket book, and have not bought any books outside the bestiary since (as GM I love reading books for monsters when creating adventures).

Remember, your paying Paizo for the material, the IP and LWD for the cost of making it electronic, for less then the cost of a hardcover book. In fact I buy PDF version of every book, the HL version and together its about the same as the hard book in hand. If you actually stop to consider it, its not a bad deal.
Exmortis is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 16th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
There was a time my group was like that too. And for good reason, when it was just one or two of us with devices, it tended to be used far more as a distraction then a benefit to the game. However now we all have lappys or tablets at the gaming table, when I GM I have both tablet and lappy as well as use an external 24' screen for players.

It has enhanced our play, removed a ton of errors, HL is many times faster, better and far fewer errors then old school paper, and when buffs are handed out 3 or 4 casters deep? HL takes care of it all, stacking, overlap, no more discussins rule look ups, correcting of others mistakes. Nope you enable it in HL and done.

To your players who buy books, HL is cheaper than books, in fact, you can buy the entire Pathfinder books set, hard cover and softcover for little less than half the cost of hard books, you may want to bring this to their attention. Assuming most have laptops anyway and do not have to buy them, its more efficient and cheaper to buy HL and data packages than books.

And the real winner? Your back and shoulders, I walk in to the gaming table with a tablet, a pen, few sheets of paper, a mouse and my dice. Not a duffle bag of books and a backpack of binders. As GM I walk in with a backpack with Lappy, tablet and paper, dice, still light in comparison.

I bought HL over time, one pack every pay check, made it much easier on the pocket book, and have not bought any books outside the bestiary since (as GM I love reading books for monsters when creating adventures).

Remember, your paying Paizo for the material, the IP and LWD for the cost of making it electronic, for less then the cost of a hardcover book. In fact I buy PDF version of every book, the HL version and together its about the same as the hard book in hand. If you actually stop to consider it, its not a bad deal.
Only negative to this route is if you play PFS (I don't), hero lab purchases do not count to allow you to use the content from that source. You have to have personally purchased the source material from paizo, and bring that source material with you to the table, for any item/ability/etc you are using on your pfs character.
Fuzzy is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Only negative to this route is if you play PFS (I don't), hero lab purchases do not count to allow you to use the content from that source. You have to have personally purchased the source material from paizo, and bring that source material with you to the table, for any item/ability/etc you are using on your pfs character.
PFS = Pathfinder Society?

If that is the case, they will never see me at their gaming table, their loss not mine.
Exmortis is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Quote:
PFS = Pathfinder Society?

If that is the case, they will never see me at their gaming table, their loss not mine.
The PDF still counts. And the cost of the Paizo PDF and the HL Package still comes out cheaper than the dead tree!

Quote:
It has enhanced our play, removed a ton of errors, HL is many times faster, better and far fewer errors then old school paper, and when buffs are handed out 3 or 4 casters deep? HL takes care of it all, stacking, overlap, no more discussions rule look ups, correcting of others mistakes. Nope you enable it in HL and done.
Just wanted to say totally agree. Add in dispel magic and keeping track of the buffs that are getting removed. Totally has speed up my higher level game play.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
The PDF still counts. And the cost of the Paizo PDF and the HL Package still comes out cheaper than the dead tree!
True, but what am I supposed to read in the bathroom?

Oops, TMI?

mirtos is offline   #30 Reply With Quote