Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

IceDeep

Old February 1st, 2011, 03:13 AM
I notice this has been mentioned before (I thought it had been stated this is a pending feature, but I can't find that post anymore) but I was wondering.

How is a Sorcerer supposed to be able to identify that he is casting a higher level spell with metamagics, and also get the DC's for the spell?

Wizards just memorize the spell at the higher slot, why can't Sorcerers do something similar?

Take for example..

8th level Sorcerer - Bloodline : Arcane
w/ Magical Lineage - Acid Arrow
w/ Feat Daze Metamagic

Now if I could setup this as a Custom level 4 spell slot (Lvl 2 Acid Arrow + 3 slots Daze - 1 slot Magical Lineage) and the program showed the proper DC (10 (base) + Cha Modifier (5) + Spell Level (4) + Metamagic DC bloodline addition (1) + Spell Focus feats (2)) of 22 (If I calculated it right, but thats why I like your program, and hope it can do this).

It's going to be annoying to have to figure out all the metamagics on the fly when I could set them up ahead of time as a custom spell on my list if that could be possible, and have the DC's already set.

If this can't be implemented, or will not I understand. I have read only 3 people do all the work on this, so I appreciate all your hard work. Hopefully this can be done easily so it's not to much work on the people.
IceDeep is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDeep View Post
Now if I could setup this as a Custom level 4 spell slot (Lvl 2 Acid Arrow + 3 slots Daze - 1 slot Magical Lineage) and the program showed the proper DC (10 (base) + Cha Modifier (5) + Spell Level (4) + Metamagic DC bloodline addition (1) + Spell Focus feats (2)) of 22 (If I calculated it right, but thats why I like your program, and hope it can do this).
The DC of a metamagic spell is not increased in pathfinder except of course for Heighten Spell. See Metmagic rules specifically the last sentence. "This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up."

Now if your asking how to do this as a houserule I am not really sure as it would be quite a global change. Plus add in the fact that a sorcerer could add one to many metamagic feats onto a spell at the time of casting would make it really hard to have any type of set DC at all.

Sorry not much more help...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
IceDeep

Old February 1st, 2011, 09:27 AM
Thats incorrect

"Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you apply a metamagic feat to a spell that increases the slot used by at least one level, increase the spell's DC by +1. This bonus does not stack with itself and does not apply to spells modified by the Heighten Spell feat."

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...m-paizo/arcane

Edit: Now it might only use the original level of the spell, but Bloodline Arcana specifically raises DC's when Metamagics raise the spell level.

Regardless being able to setup Custom Spells (with metamagics included) should I feel be included in the Sorcerer spell list to account for things like this as much as Wizards can do so.

Last edited by IceDeep; February 1st, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
IceDeep is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
IceDeep

Old February 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Sorta related, I noticed this.. Possibly a bug or another example..

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/genera...ell-perfection

Prerequisites: Spellcraft 15 ranks, at least three metamagic feats.

Benefit: Pick one spell which you have the ability to cast. Whenever you cast that spell you may apply any one metamagic feat you have to that spell without affecting its level or casting time, as long as the total modified level of the spell does not use a spell slot above 9th level. In addition, if you have other feats which allow you to apply a set numerical bonus to any aspect of this spell (such as Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Weapon Focus [ray], and so on), double the bonus granted by that feat when applied to this spell.

If I make a level 15 Sorcerer, Spell Focus:Evocation, Greater Spell Focus:Evocation, 3 Metamagic feats, and spellcraft 15, and have fireball learned as a spell.

Before I learn Spell Perfection: Fireball the DC on Fireball is 20, when I select this feat Hero Lab doesn't double the Spell Focus+Greater Spell Focus bonuses as it lists. The DC should immediately go up by +2 to 22, shouldn't it?
IceDeep is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
IceDeep

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Bump since I have shown that incorrect still waiting for a reply to the information I provided showing that is incorrect...
IceDeep is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
"Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you apply a metamagic feat to a spell that increases the slot used by at least one level, increase the spell's DC by +1. This bonus does not stack with itself and does not apply to spells modified by the Heighten Spell feat."

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...m-paizo/arcane

Edit: Now it might only use the original level of the spell, but Bloodline Arcana specifically raises DC's when Metamagics raise the spell level.

Regardless being able to setup Custom Spells (with metamagics included) should I feel be included in the Sorcerer spell list to account for things like this as much as Wizards can do so.
Bloodline Arcana, like Heighten spell, specifically raises the DC. The other metamagic abilities do not.

I do intend to add a way for a sorcerer to mark a use of a specific spell level (for metamagic spells), but in the meantime, the workaround is simply to use up some other spell that is at the correct level.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
If I make a level 15 Sorcerer, Spell Focus:Evocation, Greater Spell Focus:Evocation, 3 Metamagic feats, and spellcraft 15, and have fireball learned as a spell.

Before I learn Spell Perfection: Fireball the DC on Fireball is 20, when I select this feat Hero Lab doesn't double the Spell Focus+Greater Spell Focus bonuses as it lists. The DC should immediately go up by +2 to 22, shouldn't it?
I'm afraid with such a massive number of feats that could affect the chosen spell, there is not a good way to consistently apply the effects of this feat. I've added a note to the feat's description text in HL to say so, and added it to my to-do list to revisit when I have more time to work on it. I'm sorry about this.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote