Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 14th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
If you take the dodge feat for example, you would add this:

hero.childfound[fDodge].assign[Helper.Helper]

That will mark the Dodge feat as being a "helper" feat and prevent it from showing up in the feat selection dialog box and in most class, race and configurable bonus feat custom ability. You do not need to have a Thing on the hero to assign tags to it. Just make sure you use childfound and not just child.

At least, that's how I would try and work it. Are you saying that wouldn't work?
Have you tested this and actually gotten it to work?

As ShadowChemosh said, it's very important to remember the difference between things and picks, and consider what changes are allowed while something's still a thing.
Mathias is online now   #51 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old June 26th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Well, I finally got a chance to sit down and really study this.

The problem portfolios in question had somehow gotten their polarities reversed, so to speak. That is, "Eliminate Feat Taxes" was disabled, but the character had the version of the feat from my code selected instead of the default version, and so it quite correctly threw an error.

I really have no idea how that happened. Both the portfolios in question predate the World is Square project by several years, and so far as I know neither one has ever actually had the "Eliminate Feat Taxes" option enabled. It's really weird.

Deleting the feats in question, making sure that the module was disabled, and then adding them again corrected the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, and sorry for firing off requests for help before I'd taken the time to investigate thoroughly.
wdmartin is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Angela2013

Old June 28th, 2016, 11:48 AM
This is probably a stupid question but what are feat taxes? Do you mean the perquisites for a feat.

Some days I don't know why I bother to chew through the restraints.
Angela2013 is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 28th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela2013 View Post
This is probably a stupid question but what are feat taxes? Do you mean the perquisites for a feat.
Yes. Some people think having to meet a requirement is a "tax" or a really bad thing. To take Cleave you need Power Attack and many people don't like that idea as Power Attack in example should just be a normal combat option not a feat.

Sense you get so FEW feats a person should only ever take feats that give a BIG bang for the buck.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old June 28th, 2016, 03:03 PM
My pet peeve in feat taxes is Mobility, which as far as I can tell pretty much exists only to make everything that it's a prerequisite for cost an extra Feat.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old June 28th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Mobility is a feat tax, but Combat Expertise is the Feat IRS.
TheIronGolem is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old June 30th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Have you tested this and actually gotten it to work?

As ShadowChemosh said, it's very important to remember the difference between things and picks, and consider what changes are allowed while something's still a thing.
I am so sorry, I didn't even see this question Mathais. Following so many threads it must have gotten buried in my emails.

To answer you, no I haven't I am just working on instinct and what feels intuitive. As for what actually works, I am not sure. I realize that what feels right and what would actually work can be very different, and my knowledge of the difference between a Pick and a Thing is shaky at best. I'm not a technical programmer, and the vocabulary makes my head spin, even and is made even worse when I try read up on it. LOL

If you say it wont work, then it wont. I was just throwing out my ideas to brainstorm possible solutions. If it seemed otherwise, I did not intend so.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #57 Reply With Quote