Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dentaa

Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:06 PM
I am a database developer, researcher-curator for a group of historical societies, treasure hunter and DM.... I was sitting down today to try and figure out what I would need to write up to coordinate my research and focus on treasure hunting. I was sketching out use cases and dream options.. and when I sat back and looked at what I had described.. I realized it had already been done... Realm Works...
So just as prototype I am going to create some custom tags and categories and see how your product works as a research database...
It goes to show how good software is good software....
Thanks
dentaa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:08 PM
I have a history in managing service desks and I have to admit the thought of using RW to create a knowledge base with auto linking sounds really great.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:19 PM
I had been thinking about using RW to create a help database for the the Hero Lab community Packs. Well at least starting with Pathfinder to see how it goes. I was wondering though if it would get people upset that didn't have RW.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
While RW is specialized for RPG use the idea, a kind of enhanced text DB, should reasonably apply to a whole host of other areas with some effort. I know someone once wrote about using RW to organize the writing of a book but that is not that different from running an RPG.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:59 PM
Shit Shadow...

That's actually brilliant, free community download...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old December 22nd, 2016, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Shit Shadow...

That's actually brilliant, free community download...
Thanks. I sometimes have a good thought.

With the idea the use of a "smart images" could even have "map pins" as pop up help for sections of Hero Lab. Not sure that is really helpful but could help for something like how one setups the download "URL" and stuff. The map pins could give info about what each button actually does.

In the good way it supports RW and HL using there tools. In the bad way I could see some people upset they can't easily access the information outside of windows. But the "player view" website could solve that maybe if LW allowed a realm to be open to "everyone".

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:31 PM
One of my realms is a Real Life Realm, where I input contact information on business contacts under groups and state meetings, seminars etc. under events, including those that participated.

That way I can see when I last time met somebody before having a meeting with them ("Hi guy-I-would-otherwise-have-forgotten-all-about, we met last time at the seminar in X"), I can make notes about subjects and other stuff. I can plot people's position within their organisation using the "container-system".

Only problem is, that I don't have much time at work for keeping it updated, but apart from that minor detail it works very well.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
One of my realms is a Real Life Realm, where I input contact information on business contacts under groups and state meetings, seminars etc. under events, including those that participated.

That way I can see when I last time met somebody before having a meeting with them ("Hi guy-I-would-otherwise-have-forgotten-all-about, we met last time at the seminar in X"), I can make notes about subjects and other stuff. I can plot people's position within their organisation using the "container-system".

Only problem is, that I don't have much time at work for keeping it updated, but apart from that minor detail it works very well.
That's pretty cool. So you turned RW into CRM software. Nice!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
While RW is specialized for RPG use the idea, a kind of enhanced text DB, should reasonably apply to a whole host of other areas with some effort. I know someone once wrote about using RW to organize the writing of a book but that is not that different from running an RPG.
That may have been me. And as the novel I'm working on plays for a large part in the dreamworld where also my fantasy adventures are set I really have been anxiously waiting for the content sharing mechanism since the day I bought RW.

RW is well suited for novel design. You can detail people with their looks, intrinsic motivations, and relations; places with elaborate descriptions, maps even, whether large scale maps for the fantasy world or small layouts for certain scenes. And you can connect everything with plots to envision storylines and narration streams.

Sometimes I think that using RW just for RPG is a waste of chances.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dentaa

Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Sometimes I think that using RW just for RPG is a waste of chances.
I am tending to lean towards agreement on this one....
dentaa is offline   #10 Reply With Quote