Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Globetrotter

Old December 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I just learned that CMB uses all feats and normal bonuses to attack in addition to the CMB bonus.... yes, I missed it. lol

So I am trying to see how this is more easily calculated. Presently, when I am looking at the character sheet my mind goes in loops trying to find out what the CMB is for that particular attack with that weapon type.

What would be the easiest way?

For example, a 5th level medium-sized fighter with a 16 str using a long short with weapon focus has a CMB of +8 (BAB 5, STR 3).

Now, HL shows the CMB properly, but if I am doing a quick maneuver calculation, I would mistakenly forget to add the +1 from weapon focus.

Hopefully, that is clear. What would be the best way to get the bonuses correct off the program? Should we just use the attack bonus from the weapon? Are there cases this would not apply? Help! I am running NPC's using the tactical consul and I want to make sure the bonuses are being properly added for my attack role.

Thanks
Globetrotter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pezmerga

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
I just learned that CMB uses all feats and normal bonuses to attack in addition to the CMB bonus.... yes, I missed it. lol

So I am trying to see how this is more easily calculated. Presently, when I am looking at the character sheet my mind goes in loops trying to find out what the CMB is for that particular attack with that weapon type.

What would be the easiest way?

For example, a 5th level medium-sized fighter with a 16 str using a long short with weapon focus has a CMB of +8 (BAB 5, STR 3).

Now, HL shows the CMB properly, but if I am doing a quick maneuver calculation, I would mistakenly forget to add the +1 from weapon focus.

Hopefully, that is clear. What would be the best way to get the bonuses correct off the program? Should we just use the attack bonus from the weapon? Are there cases this would not apply? Help! I am running NPC's using the tactical consul and I want to make sure the bonuses are being properly added for my attack role.

Thanks
I don't think Herolab currently accounts for weapon bonuses and weapons that can be used in maneuvers. Characters using a +1 Heavy Flail should (I believe anyway) get +1 to trip and disarm attempts but it doesnt show up that way in herolab as of now though. I am sure Mathias could shed more light on it than I.

Last edited by Pezmerga; December 17th, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Pezmerga is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think weapons provide a bonus, just allow it. It's hard to get the bonuses right, lol.

I wonder if there is a condition that can be added. Maybe it is not coded because it is a situational bonus....
Globetrotter is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Pezmerga

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
I don't think weapons provide a bonus, just allow it. It's hard to get the bonuses right, lol.

I wonder if there is a condition that can be added. Maybe it is not coded because it is a situational bonus....
Right. You get any bonuses to attack on maneuvers if applicable, but I am pretty sure enhancement bonuses only apply if you are using a weapon that can be used in the maneuver. Like a trip weapon for trip attacks would add its enhancement bonus to the CMB, at least thats how I read it.
Pezmerga is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Remember that the Weapon Focus feat specifically adds a bonus to the attack roll for a weapon, and that Combat Maneuvers only incorporate the Base Attack bonus of the character. They don't pick up every attack modifier you get, so weapon focus does not apply to maneuvers.

The bonuses that some weapons apply to specific maneuvers is simply something I haven't had the time to implement yet.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I can see how this would be difficult/time consuming to add.

I do want to point out that I just exported the stat block of the character and the CMB for specific attacks is calculated.

I reviewed the numbers and it looks like it takes into account many different feats that I selected, but not weapon focus.

See the stat block below. The trip should be +19 and not +18.

Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +8; CMB +11 (+18 Tripping); CMD 24 (26 vs. Disarm26 vs. Overrun26 vs. Trip)
Feats Fury’s Fall, Greater Trip, Improved Trip, Weapon Focus: Scythe
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Fury’s Fall When making a trip attack, add your Dexterity bonus to your CMB.
Greater Trip +2 to Trip, target provokes AoO when tripped.
Improved Trip You Trip at +2 and don't cause an attack of opportunity.
Globetrotter is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Remember that the Weapon Focus feat specifically adds a bonus to the attack roll for a weapon, and that Combat Maneuvers only incorporate the Base Attack bonus of the character. They don't pick up every attack modifier you get, so weapon focus does not apply to maneuvers.
Unless that maneuver (ie Trip, Disarm, Sunder) uses the weapon. Then yes you do get Weapon Focus or even Weapon Finesse. So if you have Weapon Finesse and say a Rapier you get the bonus that your Dex is providing above your Str during a Disarm.

So you have a 10Str, 20 Dex and Weapon Finesse. You would get to apply a +5 Bonus to a Disarm CMB when doing a Disarm with a weapon finesse-able weapon.

In other news the Adjustment.user file that I want to release really soon as a community add-on will have this capability. As it is a very nice remember for players.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Shadow,

I think you are making a good point. The bonuses are applying static bonuses and not taking into account having the appropriate weapon.

For a PC, I don't think this is a big deal as you know your bonuses pretty well As a DM, having the stats (or a reminder) is extremely useful.
Globetrotter is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old December 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +8; CMB +11 (+18 Tripping); CMD 24 (26 vs. Disarm26 vs. Overrun26 vs. Trip)
Feats Fury’s Fall, Greater Trip, Improved Trip, Weapon Focus: Scythe
This is a good example. If using the Scythe to trip, which one can as it is a tripping weapon, your CMB would actually be +19 due to Weapon Focus. The +18 value in this case is to attempt the trip with ones hands.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old December 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
For a PC, I don't think this is a big deal as you know your bonuses pretty well As a DM, having the stats (or a reminder) is extremely useful.
Yep in agreement. Though even as a player I found it is better for the sheet to have the numbers already crunched as their is often allot going on at a game session.

So my players have been playing with a set of adjustments that let them add in this bonus value to the weapon. The new adjusted CMB or CMD value is printed then with the actual weapon. I assume it will work for stat blocks, but its something I will specifically look at tonight.

Anyways you take the Adjustment and select a weapon. In this case your Scythe. Then you set the adjustment to +1 to take into account the +1 from WF. Then the weapon will read "Scyth Trip-CMB +19" in HL and the printed character sheet.

So you have to know the value to set the adjustment counter to, but so far my players have really like that it is reminds them of the value and auto-adjusts as they gain levels.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote