Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mmartin7260

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:26 AM
[QUOTE=ShadowChemosh;152868]Yes you can get your .user files over to the HL iPad app. I am running my Shadow d20 house rules package which is like 30+ .user files.

What I am finding out is that you can't install .user files directly. You can install a .hl file and the app recognizes the .hl file just like it does .por files. So this means if you use any of the "Community" powered by stuff you just setup the URL again and download and away you go. To setup the URL its located in the "View Updates" section of the app when you first start in the top right corner.

Can you be a bit more specific about what exactly to type in to "View Updates"? I first tried typing the full URL of d20PFSRD.com as it is shown on my browser. Then the same URL with the Saurian race file, PFRG_TOS_Saurian.user, after it and both times I got an error message on the HL app. I know this seems easy but it's very difficult for me to work out what needs to be type in. Thanks
mmartin7260 is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Munktar

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Try to get my user files working.

I made a HL file, Open in from dropbox
Hero lab openbs with New Update Available The new update can be imported from View update screen..

I cannot find my hl file on the update screen then , what do i do wrong?
And my por files give a lot of errors due to missing user fiels
Munktar is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonladytoo View Post
I don't believe you understood my statement.

I understand that as long as the iPad app is only a player that it will be free.
But the newsletter seemed to indicate that when you guys finally get the iPad app to work in edit mode, and players can truely edit their character then the app will require one of your license keys to activate that ability.

Glad your excited by the launch Colin ,but please read the post .
This is correct. Sorry for the misunderstanding - I wanted to make sure that users understood that the character viewer capability will always be free to everyone, regardless of whether we allow you to actually create characters (which will be licensed users only).
Colen is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTroll View Post
You do this in the File Sharing pane on the Apps tab in iTunes on your PC or Mac by selecting the .por file then clicking the Save to button.

This works and changes are displayed in HL but I get a lot of warnings about
Code:
Field 'wMenuEquip ' has been orphaned for pick ...
I suggest that you rename the file when saving back and have a play around and make sure everything is working correctly before overwritting any files.
This is correct. We're working on getting an updated set of Pathfinder data files ready to resolve this error on the desktop.
Colen is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Funny. I created a .hl file using HLExport from my .user files. Trying to load this in the iPad app resulted in a message that a new update was there, but when I clicked on the install button the app crashed without any message.
Of course my .hl is probably buggy, but the .user files work fine and HLExport reported a successful export file creation. What can I do? What did I wrong?
Can you email me the .hl file? Please email it to colen@wolflair.com and I'll take a look at it - regardless of what's in it, it shouldn't be crashing the app.
Colen is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munktar View Post
Try to get my user files working.

I made a HL file, Open in from dropbox
Hero lab openbs with New Update Available The new update can be imported from View update screen..

I cannot find my hl file on the update screen then , what do i do wrong?
And my por files give a lot of errors due to missing user fiels
There should be a big blue "Install Updates" button on the updates screen. If there isn't, the file hasn't been added to Hero Lab properly - does it appear in the iTunes file syncing list?
Colen is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin7260 View Post
Can you be a bit more specific about what exactly to type in to "View Updates"? I first tried typing the full URL of d20PFSRD.com as it is shown on my browser. Then the same URL with the Saurian race file, PFRG_TOS_Saurian.user, after it and both times I got an error message on the HL app. I know this seems easy but it's very difficult for me to work out what needs to be type in. Thanks
The URL only works for those full packages listed in this "Community" thread. So like the Community Bestiary and stuff. You can't install .user files directly like you can on the desktop.

I was not aware of this and understand people are going to need access to the above but I am not sure how to do that without causing the update screen to list a hundred individual downloads.

What you would have to do now is create a .hl file out of the .user files you want and then use like dropbox or email the .hl file from yourself. You create them from inside of HL going to "Tools->HLExport".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
mmartin7260

Old April 9th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I created a .hl file as per ShadowChemosh's suggestion. It was a fairly large file since it included everything except the pre-generated profiles. I sent it to Dropbox and then had Dropbox send it to the iPad app....so far, so good. Went to the "View Updates" function of the app and hit "Install Updates" and found "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Dungeoneer's handbook, 3 Classes worth of NPC's from NPC Codex; Pathfinder 68; Bug fixes" (everything after Pathfinder Roleplaying Game were notes attached to the file). I tapped this and there was a few moments when the update was downloading. After the download was done, I got this message, "The file could not be imported because: Imported files without a third-party id may not be used. Use HLExport to repackage this file with a third-party id to use its contents"

When I created this update in HLExport, it didn't allow me to to create a third-party id. Any help or ideas would be very appreciated since this is my first go with HLExport

Last edited by mmartin7260; April 9th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
mmartin7260 is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin7260 View Post
I created a .hl file as per ShadowChemosh's suggestion. It was a fairly large file since it included everything except the pre-generated profiles. I sent it to Dropbox and then had Dropbox send it to the iPad app....so far, so good. Went to the "View Updates" function of the app and hit "Install Updates" and found "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Dungeoneer's handbook, 3 Classes worth of NPC's from NPC Codex; Pathfinder 68; Bug fixes". I tapped this and there was a few moments when the update was downloading. After the download was done, I got this message, "The file could not be imported because: Imported files without a third-party id may not be used. Use HLExport to repackage this file with a third-party id to use its contents"

When I created this update in HLExport, it didn't allow me to to create a third-party id. Any help or ideas would be very appreciated since this is my first go with HLExport
It sounds like you packaged up the WHOLE Pathfinder data set. You just want the .user files only and it should be very small less than 1 meg in size.

So in this case one of the options on the top menu is like View->Select all .user files. I forget the first menu but the option is defiantly "Select all .user files". Once you do that the ID, Name, and Version numbers open up and you can put in the text their.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
mmartin7260

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I managed to get two of my character that use custom files to work. I had to create two .hl files for the Saurian and Dhampire file separately, one .hl for one race file. The only issue I have now is with my drow character. I tried making a .hl file for the Advance Race package file but that didn't work. I'll work on that one later. Two out of three problems fixed isn't bad for now.
mmartin7260 is offline   #50 Reply With Quote