Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

PghDrake

Old April 28th, 2017, 08:23 PM
I can't seem to find any sort of actual descriptions of the creatures in the Tome of Beasts add-on. Are they there somewhere, I was hoping this would have everything from the book?

Thank you,

-Drake
PghDrake is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 28th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Personally my preference will be to have the description in RW and the mechanics in HL. That way I can share the information with the players via the RW Player Versions as they learn things.

Obviously this is only useful if you use both products.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 30th, 2017, 12:10 PM
RealmWorks isn't the answer for pre-entered, paid content which is what the OP is talking about. The Tome of Beasts does not exist for RW and may not for a very long time.

As far as HeroLab goes and to address the OP's question, creature descriptions for Pathfinder bestiaries are non-existent or just one-liners for official Paizo releases. I really wouldn't expect 5e to be different. While I'd like full text descriptions, LWD undoubtedly has their hands tied as the publishers also want to sell their own books.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 30th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
creature descriptions for Pathfinder bestiaries are non-existent or just one-liners for official Paizo releases.
Pathfinder bestiary monsters have 100% of the text in HL and if using the HL Encounter Builder even has the official Paizo artwork. This is because LW has a full license from Paizo.

For this Tome of Beasts if its a 3PP book the work is usually not done by LW. If the publisher decided to not include the text that was their right. You would be best to ask the people that entered the material or the 3PP themselves.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 30th, 2017, 02:23 PM
@ShadowChemosh: I don't want to go off-topic, but it could be relevant for Tome of Beasts. Where can I find the full text because I'd really like to be wrong? I had checked before posting and checked again just now. For PF Giant Dragonfly as a random example, I cannot find the description text that reads "Giant dragonflies are rare compared..." which is the text description in Bestiary 2 that I'd expect to see on the Personal tab. The only description I can find is the one-line quote stating "This glittering blue dragonfly..." on the NPC tab. The one-liner quote is definitely not the same as a full description.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@ShadowChemosh: I don't want to go off-topic, but it could be relevant for Tome of Beasts. Where can I find the full text because I'd really like to be wrong? I had checked before posting and checked again just now. For PF Giant Dragonfly as a random example, I cannot find the description text that reads "Giant dragonflies are rare compared..." which is the text description in Bestiary 2 that I'd expect to see on the Personal tab. The only description I can find is the one-line quote stating "This glittering blue dragonfly..." on the NPC tab. The one-liner quote is definitely not the same as a full description.
The full monster text is seen when you select the Monster. This is the same location you would see a "Class" text description:

Here is a image:
dragonfly.jpg

If the issue here is "how" do I get this to print or see this info after adding the race. Then that is a separate question/issue.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 30th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Looks like full descriptions are all there.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 30th, 2017, 05:53 PM
@ShadowChemosh: As always, thank you. In all the years I have never looked at the race for monsters. I build encounters and since the race is already set, there's never been a reason for me to look at the race to find that info. Classes I do play with on monsters; but no reason to change the race. While not intuitive, it's definitely accessible.

Is this the case with the Tome as well? Or are the descriptions included under the race there too?
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote