Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sturmrider

Old April 20th, 2017, 01:28 PM
I have created a new portfolio called Added encounters for monsters, and NPCs I create. The issue I am running into is once I put the first NPC in, and then open the file to put others in, it does not seem possible. I always have to create a new portfolio. It does not have a section to just add a character.

I know this can be done, but must be using the wrong search terms on the forum. Haven't had any luck. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Sturmrider is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 20th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Not near HL. But it should be under the "Portfolio" menu option to import another .por file.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sturmrider

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Just so I understand it right. For each NPC say you have to create a seperate portfolio and then import it. so you end up with a lot of portfolios in the folder, or can you delete the extra portfolios afterwards.

Thank you for your patience.
Sturmrider is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Importing a portfolio into another portfolio creates a copy, so once you save the combined portfolio you can delete the individual ones if you wish.

Also, if you have a portfolio open and want to add a new character to it, there is a Create New Character option under the Portfolio menu as well - or you can import characters from the Encounter Builder or an Encounter Library into an existing portfolio.

Finally, if you want to customize a character and then have a number of identical ones in the portfolio, you can build the first one and then use the Duplicate option on the current character in the Portfolio menu.

I do this same thing running my game; I have the individual portfolios that I get from my players, and I combine them into one portfolio called The Party. Then I import each encounter into that portfolio to use the Tactical Console, and when I'm done with them I use the Delete All Enemies option to prepare for the next encounter.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:58 PM
The first menu option under "Portfolio" is "Create New Hero".

As I read the OP's issue, he just wants to be able to create a new NPC/monster/PC in the existing Portfolio file.

So.. open the Portfolio ... then from the menu, "Portfolio", "Create New Hero".
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old April 20th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Well, I wanted to cover all the situations I could think of. In my game I have an oversized, high-point PC party, so I tend to pull the Encounter Library encounters out of Iron Gods into a new portfolio and beef them up, then save them into a separate portfolio to be imported when I need it.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sturmrider

Old April 21st, 2017, 01:55 AM
Thank you everyone for the quick and varied replies. I can see now there is a variety of ways of creating the character in the portfolio. I wouldn't and obviously didn't think of going to the Portfolio menu. I thought it would be under character or file section. I am learning a lot about Hero Lab from everyone and hopefully in the future will be able to help others as you have helped me.

Thank you again.
Sturmrider is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old April 21st, 2017, 04:50 AM
If I'm making a character, rather than using a monster, and am not sure at what point I'd like that character to come in... level 6, 7 or 8... or whatever...

I make the character, up to whatever level the minimum is.

And I name it: Character, LV 06.
Then I create one duplicate of that character, and rename it from Character, LV 06 #2 to: Character, LV 07.
Then I level the character up, and make all the changes.

I now have a level 6 and a level 7 of the same character in the porfolio.

I have backup characters ready to go, who show their progression from 1st to 20th, by having 20 versions of the character in their porfolio.

If there are generic versions of hostile Barbarians, I'll have a portfolio for those.
So maybe there are Archers, guys with big Axes and a few with Sword & Shield.
A portfolio gets one of each.

When the PCs need to fight them, I can import hero from portfolio, navigate to the Barbarian file, and select six of the Axe Barbarians with the number arrow next to the Barbarian Axe guy.
You could import all, which would get one of each unique thing, that is another option.
With that approach, you could create duplicates of whatever type needs multiples, once they're in the porfolio, with essentially the same result.

A specific encounter might be the Barbarian leader, with his elite guard, and a bunch of regular ones.
So I may have a portfolio with different versions of the leader, and one with one each of the various Barbarian types.
I'd make a new portfolio, import the leader version, one (or more) of the elite guard, and however many of the normal kind.

When the PCs are going to battle them, from the PC portfolio, import 'hero' and import the entire hostile (marked as enemy, in configure control + k) portfolio.
The Tactical Console then runs the show, and the PCs can loot the corpses.

It helps to have the combined treasure, from all of the bad guys on a creature named 'Treasure' (or something similar), within the combat portfolio.
If you mark 'Treasure' as an ally, it doesn't count as experience against the party, so you can use HL's calculation of the experience value of the enemies for your group.
And treasure then includes eight Great Axes, two of which you've marked as masterwork and one is magical, or whatever; then you can distribute loot from Treasure rather than from each individual Barbarian, if you want to go that route.
Ualaa is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sturmrider

Old April 21st, 2017, 06:37 AM
Thank you Ualaa I wouldn't have thought of most of your ideas, but they seem like a great way to simplify some things.
Sturmrider is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old April 21st, 2017, 10:18 AM
FYI, some versions of the iPad have a problem with portfolios that contain 15+ heroes in them. The LW team has done a lot of work to minimize the memory footprint, but high-level characters tend to have more options/features/gear so they take up even more memory, and when you have one hero that has been leveled up 15 times, that last one is likely to be pretty big.

I mention this because I've had some emails back and forth with the LW team while beta testing new iPad builds. I do the same thing Ualaa does -- my character goes from L1 to L16 or so in a single portfolio as a way to test what I want to take at each level. But I keep the current character in a separate portfolio for use at the game table.
Azhrei is offline   #10 Reply With Quote