Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Merion

Old January 15th, 2017, 10:31 AM
So I've been working on my one and only realm ever since I bought RW back in march 2014. From what I gather here, my realm now apparently is a legacy realm.

I know there have been a lot of updates since then, many of them welcome, even more irrelevant to me. Now I wonder - do I gain anything from converting my realm to a pathfinder one? And if so - how would I go about it?
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 15th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I have a similar question. If I convert my legacy to "Other" while I wait for "5e" will I create problems for myself when I convert it again? Should I wait?

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 15th, 2017, 11:59 AM
What I tried was exporting my primary legacy realm as is and importing it into an empty PF realm. That failed. The thread where this is discussed does not indicate that the issues with this are fixed.

To directly convert a realm to another game system go to Manage -> Realm -> Game System you should see current game system and a drop box labeled "change game system to:" choose the one you want and press the button.

Note it makes all the changes and then tells you about any incompatibilities. Your only option if you don't like what it has done is to delete your local data and sync from the cloud so make sure you have synced up to the cloud any recent changes before doing this.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 15th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Instead of exporting/importing just copy the realm. Then you can test converting it and see what happens. You copy from the main Realm selection screen on the wrench icon.

I made a bunch of Realm Copies for testing this last week.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 15th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Like Merion, I have a single realm that I have been working on for a little over two years. My campain use DnD 5e and will always be so. Since 5e is not ready yet in RW, I"m not going to convert it from legacy to other. I think I would want to convert from legacy to DnD 5e.

My question is if you can only import content from the same realm type, does that mean I'm limited to buy 5e-compatible material on the Content Market? Or could I buy, say Pathfinder material and then I convert the purchased Patherfinder to 5e, then I export that, and then import my export into my 5e realm?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 15th, 2017, 12:30 PM
If you're happy with the way "Legacy" is working for you, you should be fine to just keep on going "as is" .. unless you want to share the content with others. In that case, converting to "Other" is probably the best choice (as Rob noted elsewhere, "Other" is the closest to "Legacy" of the valid choices).

If you want tags and things to be in the "Official" format for another game system, converting to that system makes more sense.

Remember that COPY makes a totally separate copy of the Realm, independent thereafter from the original. Export/Import keeps the Topic IDs so that they can be recognized as updated versions if you move things around through future Imports and Exports. That may come back to bite you in the future if you forgot that was how you did things.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 15th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Remember that COPY makes a totally separate copy of the Realm, independent thereafter from the original. Export/Import keeps the Topic IDs so that they can be recognized as updated versions if you move things around through future Imports and Exports. That may come back to bite you in the future if you forgot that was how you did things.
Yes but the point is to make a "TEST" realm to see what happens. You don't keep it once you see what "converting" the realm does.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 15th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Like Merion, I have a single realm that I have been working on for a little over two years. My campain use DnD 5e and will always be so. Since 5e is not ready yet in RW, I"m not going to convert it from legacy to other. I think I would want to convert from legacy to DnD 5e.

My question is if you can only import content from the same realm type, does that mean I'm limited to buy 5e-compatible material on the Content Market? Or could I buy, say Pathfinder material and then I convert the purchased Patherfinder to 5e, then I export that, and then import my export into my 5e realm?
Rob said that the import mechanism should convert the content to the same game system as the realm it is being imported to. But right now that conversion is buggy.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 15th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yes but the point is to make a "TEST" realm to see what happens. You don't keep it once you see what "converting" the realm does.
I just tried this.

I got some rather nonsensical messages about tag domains, it claimed to have merged one of my tag domains with one present in the game system but it didn't and after checking my standalone PF realm there is no tag domain with that name, but the actual conversion seems to have worked without any noticeable hiccups.

It would be nice to get a log of these warnings so as to be able to send them in.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 15th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yep. I just wanted to make clear what the difference is since Copy and Import/Export are still new.
Silveras is offline   #10 Reply With Quote