Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

OgrePuppy

Send a message via ICQ to OgrePuppy Send a message via AIM to OgrePuppy Send a message via Yahoo to OgrePuppy Send a message via Skype™ to OgrePuppy

Old February 26th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Really?

Microsoft usually releases a service pack once a year. This means every year I'm going to need to have my HL license reassigned?

That's insane.

Could you make the software just a hair less "touchy"...????
OgrePuppy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I have Win7 64 and have gone through dozens of updates and the SP and it never triggered a need a new license.

You sure you just don't need to do the very quick re-activate license option instead? That one you can do over and over again as long as its not actually on a new computer.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
OgrePuppy

Send a message via ICQ to OgrePuppy Send a message via AIM to OgrePuppy Send a message via Yahoo to OgrePuppy Send a message via Skype™ to OgrePuppy

Old February 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I have Win7 64 and have gone through dozens of updates and the SP and it never triggered a need a new license.

You sure you just don't need to do the very quick re-activate license option instead? That one you can do over and over again as long as its not actually on a new computer.
I have to do an "early license reassignment" after Win7 32-bit SP1 installation. I've changed absolutely 100% NOTHING about this netbook aside from updating the just-released service pack.

I tried the "reactivate license" option in HL's menu but it's forcing me to deal with the early license reassignment, which requires intercession from a Lone Wolf representative. Sadly, they're not available 24/7, so I have to wait to save data about my characters until the reassignment is complete.

OgrePuppy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 27th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgrePuppy View Post
I have to do an "early license reassignment" after Win7 32-bit SP1 installation.
So mentioned this issue at my game Saturday and one of my players did the Win7 SP1 install Sunday and then tested HL. Everything was fine no license issue at all. The only difference here I can see is that me and my player are both running 64-bit not 32-bit. Normally would say that shouldn't do it but it is Microsoft.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old February 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I installed SP1 on Friday and had no problem with HL.
tkarn is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
risner

Old February 28th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
but it is Microsoft.
Yea, the only way HL knows it got copied to another machine is if something on the local machine drastically changed. Obviously something did change, but HL didn't force the change.
risner is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old February 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM
You sure you did not make any changes to the hardware or do any type of repair install of some kind for Windows? This sounds like it is an actual issue with your netbook. I have done the Service pack install already on mine as well. Yes I am running Windows 7 X64 but I have a friend that is running a netbook with Win 7 X32 and he had no problems with his SP1 install and Hero Labs.

Sorry it happened, but I would look at your netbook for the issue here.
Nikmal is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM
There is a bug that can cause this behavior to occur for users with special environments running 64-bit Windows, but that issue is limited solely to the 64-bit version. No one should be affected if they're running 32-bit Windows.

The only explanation I can think of is that something is different on your computer that caused HL to think your computer's "identity" has changed. As others have reported here, you should only need to run the "Reactivate License" wizard after installing an update, and that should be detected and automatically triggered by the product when you launch it after the update.

For those of you concerned about the 64-bit bug mentioned above, it should be fixed in the big V3.7 update due out in March. But I'm not aware of any HL users running into it - only a handful of AB users were affected.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote