Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

lortondm

Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Apologies for being new to using Hero Lab. But I've encountered a frustrating error.

I have put Hero Lab on the permissible two computers for my license -- one in my upstairs home library (where I created a *.user file and input the characters I'm DMing) and one in my basement where the game takes place.

I thought that if I copied the character portfolios I created from the library computer to the to the right place on the downstairs computer and did the same with the *.user file, I should be able to call up the credit characters and edit them on the downstairs computer and same with the *.user file.

Instead, I'm running into errors. This is the message I get:

"Errors were encountered when using the saved portfolio! A record of these errors can be found in the file C:\users\Dad\AppData\Temp\hero_lab_load_issues.log . If you notice incorrect behaviors in your portfolio, please report it to the data file authors (you can contact them from the Help menu).

Pick "Flanrc" has been orphaned due to missing thing in batch '441'
etc.

Flanrc is the Flan ethnicity in the Greyhawk world which I created in the *.user file that functions on my library computer. The "etc" above lists other batch errors for each of the things I've created, such as gods, races, etc.

What I did to do the copying was use the Microsoft SyncToy program to synchronize the folder that holds user files and the folder that holds portfolio files between the two computers. I don't understand why that wouldn't work.

When I search for the things Hero Lab says it can't find, Windows 7 calls up the *.user file I created. I can load the copied *.user file fine. But when I tell it to Test Now! I get the following error:

"Hero Lab was forced to stop compilation after the following errors were detected:

File SyncToy_5d7639998-7029-462c-bed2-5062d4f4ade9.dat (line 1) - Document does not possess a valid structure"

But in any event, I'm not wedded to making the SyncToy method of being able to use portolio and user files that I create. If there's an easier way to put the character portfolios and user file(s) I create in one place on my network and be able to tell both my upstairs and downstairs computers where to find those files, please tell me. All I want to be able to do is to be able to use the program on both computers including self-generated content -- without a lot of gyrations and copying.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
lortondm is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
This is assuming you obtained the secondary licence from the licence tab from hero lab before you started.

What I did was the following:
- Download new install
- copy system data files across (if I didn't want to do a full update of each game system)
- copy across portfolio files (or make available over network)

I run two laptops in my games, and players who get to use my secondary licence start wanting to get a copy of the program as I rotate who gets to use it each session

Though this is mainly so each player can update their character correctly in the tool for me to use, but works well both ways as I now have multiple players with their own copy.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The "Document does not possess a valid structure" error message makes me think this specific program is doing odd things with your files. That file name doesn't sound like something a human would choose to name a file - has it created some sort of fake files?

I'd look around for other programs that can support what you're after. Here's a thread where people are talking about using Drop Box: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=14912
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old September 4th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Sync Toy is most likely the cause. I love the program but it puts a data file in the folder it syncs and that might be picked up by Hero Labs in this instance.
Enforcer84 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lortondm View Post
File SyncToy_5d7639998-7029-462c-bed2-5062d4f4ade9.dat (line 1) - Document does not possess a valid structure"
This is the answer to your problem right here. Apparently, SyncToy creates a file with a ".dat" extension. Hero Lab assumes all files with a ".dat" extension are Hero Lab data files, so it tries to compile the file. When that fails, *all* user-added data files, including your ".user" file, are thrown away. This is essentially HL reverting to "safe mode" to ensure it gets a safe compile that allows you to get into HL and use the Editor. That why you then get the error loading your portfolio.

The only way you can use SyncToy is if you can configure it to name its file with a different file extension. If that's not possible, then SyncToy won't work, because it will always create a ".dat" file that Hero Lab will try to compile.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Just as an FYI I use a product called "FolderClone" to sync my gaming computer to my main computer before each game. Their maybe other alternatives but thought I would share one I know works.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
lortondm

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks to all who posted help. I think what I'm going to try is deleting the *.dat file(s) that SyncToy creates and see if that works. I'll report back.
lortondm is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
lortondm

Old September 8th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Yes, deleting the *.dat files that SyncToy created did the trick. Thanks for that idea. It should have occurred to me, but it was late that night.

The steps were to go to the following two directories (at least on my computer, where others put the program may vary):

(1) C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\pathfinder

(2) C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\pathfinder

Then change the options to view hidden files as the SyncToy *.dat files are hidden by that program. Delete them. Then load Hero Lab and then voila. It worked.

Thanks again all.
lortondm is offline   #8 Reply With Quote