Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Togainu

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:36 PM
I think the main reason there are no "official" prices for such items is mainly because it depends on the area you are in, the quality and size of the gem, the type of cut and maybe some other factors. Which can make the price be very different each time. In which case the custom input for them seems more appropriate.

That doesn't take away it could be a nice addition but I think there are still times you will need to pick the custom valuable option (and depending on the game/setting maybe each time).
Togainu is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:15 PM
The one idea I had would be the ability to pick the "Gem" but the gp cost would still be user entered. So you could "Ruby" and say 50gp or 100gp. Gems have a "relative" same list used over and over again in Pathfinder modules.

So you would select "- Custom Gem -" and then pick the Gem from a dropdown list (easy to add more using the editor). Then type in the gp cost. That is the idea anyways.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Sort of - The downside of using a custom gem with a freeform cost, is that you can't 'purchase' the item properly, as it pretty much has to have a fixed price for Hero Lab to do so. Now, in the most likely use case, this wouldn't matter, as it's likely to be from loot, so it would be transferred or added and not purchased - but it's something to consider. Also, I'm not sure if selections and custom prices are maintained with an item is transferred between Heros. Honestly have never tried it out.

Last edited by Fuzzy; March 4th, 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Fuzzy is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Also, I'm not sure if selections and custom prices are maintained with an item is transferred between Heros. Honestly have never tried it out.
That is a good point and something to "test" to see what HL does. Thanks!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old March 4th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
That is a good point and something to "test" to see what HL does. Thanks!
I did test it, and it looks like it DOES work. At least in my quick check of two hero's in a portfolio, made a custom valuable, set a weight and value, transferred it to the other hero, and it kept the same name, weight, and value.

While I was playing around, I did look into trying to make a dropdown to choose from 5 or 6 different 'qualities' that would modify the base value of the gem by a set ratio, and then can make a bunch of valuable gear items that are the base value, but was not having a lot of luck. The real shame is that the drop downs have to be tied to things, as far as I can tell, so I would have to make a new 'thing' to represent each level. I do wish you could make just some custom text in a dropdown, without having to make a new thing for it, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that.

I did realize that the purchase thing does need to be handled to some extent, at least for 1000gp diamonds and 25gp opals...
Fuzzy is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Zan Thrax

Old March 4th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I'd really like to be able to transfer money between characters in the same portfolio. I dislike subtracting money in the journal of one character and adding it in the journal of another. I actually use the journal as designed - adding an entry and a couple paragraphs for different events & I like to be able to have an accurate account of what money the character actually earned during the events of that entry.

I'd like to be able to set the default coin size for the program to use when selling things off. Stuff that's worth thousands of gp should, at the very least, default to pp.

I'd like to see gems (and possibly other valuables and trade goods that are supposed to be usable as a standard method of exchange - 100% value buy or sell) implemented as currency so that they could be automatically converted to cash if a character is buying something they don't have sufficient coins for.

Edit: to the above about there not being a standard list of gems; there are actually suggestions for gems in the Gamemastery Guide. They're on the PRD as well.

The last two ideas both come down to coins being seriously encumbering in the quantities any character above first level deals with and trying to avoid that.

Last edited by Zan Thrax; March 4th, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
Zan Thrax is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old March 4th, 2015, 11:37 PM
I have created an item called 'Gold Hoard', which is equivalent in weight and value to 100gp. Works well for transferring bulk wealth, as well as storing of wealth in another location without it affecting encumbrance. Buy/Sell this item for 100% and it's easy enough to move piles of it around. If I get into pre-generating loot in a Hero Lab portfolio, I will likely end up either generating 'gp', 'pp', 'sp', and 'cp' items as well, and use them to build the encounter, then when a player receives them, simply 'sell' them for 100%, which will grant them the wealth.
Fuzzy is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Vrischika111

Old October 1st, 2015, 03:03 AM
a small Necro to propose an additional functionality , money- based

when purchasing Gear / magical items, could you add a checkbox "Can afford ?" : it would filter out all items above your GP limit ?
Vrischika111 is offline   #28 Reply With Quote