Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

geekomancer

Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:02 PM
I'm trying to create a Cold Iron Scorpion whip, but it doesn't validate in HL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSRD
"Items without metal parts cannot be made from cold iron."
but
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSRD
"This whip has a series of razorsharp blades and fangs inset along its tip."
Sounds to me like a metal part. Can someone please explain why this is illegal? (Or update HL with a fix?)

please forgive me if I missed this.... I tried searching for previously reported threads or bugs, and didn't find any mention of this.
geekomancer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:19 AM
Neither the handle, nor the bulk of the actual whip would be made of metal. It looks like a few metal bits (the "blades") aren't enough to be considered metal parts, just like a club ("sometimes with a few nails, or studs in it" - Ultimate Equipment) isn't considered to have metal parts. You could ask on the Paizo forums or see if they make any suggestions, but it doesn't sound like a bug/error to me.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
Remember HL does not stop you from breaking the rules. It gives "warning" messages not hard stop. So if your DM agrees that a scorpion whip can be cold iron then make it cold iron and ignore the warning message.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Neither the handle, nor the bulk of the actual whip would be made of metal.
RAW is very clear. "Metal parts", not handle or bulk of material. Arrows, for example, can be cold iron, even though neither the handle (shaft) nor bulk of material is metal.

The spirit of special material is that the material cuts or touches the skin of the affected creature. In the case of the scorpion whip, it does lethal damage instead of non-lethal because of those metal parts, so why couldn't those metal parts be made from special materials?

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I will ask the same question over at Paizo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
... then make it cold iron and ignore the warning message.
Yes, but OCD!
geekomancer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:51 PM
I think this mainly comes down to table variation more than anything else myself. For example you have the Stinging whip which can be used as a whip and actually states it is made out of metallic wire. This one is also allowed in hero lab for example to take cold iron as special material (and is also society legal for example)
Togainu is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:13 PM
The issue is the material of the haft never really matters. When using an arrow the arrowhead is the only special material that matters because that is the primary damage dealing part of the weapon. With a Whip most of the damage is coming from the cord the whip is made from. Yes you might be able to add broken bits to the end to increase the damage slightly, but it doesn't change the primary weapon material.
Minous is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old December 24th, 2016, 07:46 AM
The other option, if you think this is a bug and that it should be allowed, you can report it as such.
Ualaa is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old December 25th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
... With a Whip most of the damage is coming from the cord the whip is made from. ...
Not necessarily. The tip of a bullwhip is totally the damage inflicting element of the weapon. When the whip is "cracked" (as in, 'crack the whip'), the tip moves faster than the speed of sound, which is what makes the cracking noise. Something that hits your skin at 720+ mph (speed of sound at sea level) is going to hurt!

Which is one of my beefs with how WotC and then Paizo treat the whip. They clearly based its offensive capabilities on Hollywood's depiction from movies like Indiana Jones, but doing real damage with a whip is certainly not non-lethal damage! Of course, you must be at precisely the right distance to use the tip and perhaps the rules would get kind of confusing about that so it was left out...? For example, "there must be exactly 15' between attacker and target with NO intervening cover." You certainly couldn't use it through an arrow slit (although the existing rules allow it, IIRC).
Azhrei is offline   #8 Reply With Quote