Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 27th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know about 4 for the price of $500, but I can get two for sure.... just looking on Amazon for Android tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...282&sort=price
cryptoknight is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
I don't know about 4 for the price of $500, but I can get two for sure.... just looking on Amazon for Android tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...282&sort=price
Two is more realistic in some ways as the Nook is only 250. That link seems to be showing the cost of mostly Used droid tablets. So if we go with used iPad1 I can easily get the same price or lower.

Heck a guy here at my client just sold his iPad1 for $50 bucks as he now has the iPad2 and had no use for the old one.

Just trying to see what is actually real information between iOS and Droid is all.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
ase1972

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Almost two years ago kmart was selling the Augen tablet for $150 each, so at that time an Ipad cost roughly $600...that is where I was getting the price of 4 to 1.

Now granted you would want to root that tablet and install 2.2 on it, but it has stock 256ram, 800mhz processor, so it should be able to run the program.

No matter if you want a better tablet one can be had for not much more, but still well under the cost of an iPad 1 or 2, and this being a hobby I for one would like to keep it as inexspensive as possible.
ase1972 is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
duhtroll

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Yep, given price-conscious gamers, being able to save a couple hundred $ (or equivalent) is going to be important. Here's to hoping the devs will be releasing HL for both platforms in the future.
duhtroll is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Adam.Ormond

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We have NOT begun active development of a tablet-based version of Hero Lab yet. However, we DO expect to begin within the next few months, after we've wrapped up a few important things. We are closely watching the tablet-based market and have taken various steps to position ourselves for reasonably efficient development once we do get started.

@duhtroll - Since we haven't selected a platform yet, I can't tell you what platform we're developing for. We'll be choosing the platform in a few months, when we get started on development.

@shadowchemosh - The iPad will be easier in some ways once we complete the Mac port. However, the iPad also has some major roadblocks, such as Apple's huge royalty that could easily render an iPad version non-viable from a business standpoint. Remember, at the end of the day, everyone here expects to be paid so they can make their rent/mortgage. Also, Hero Lab is written entirely in C++ (not Java), and the Android now has the C++ devkit available. So we could just as easily go with Android at this point.

Once we actually pick a platform and development gets underway, we'll make an announcement to let everyone know what to expect. Also, we're currently planning to get started on the second platform well before the first one ships, provided there is a viable business case for both platforms. Consequently, we don't view this as an "either-or" situation - although it could become one if we don't expect to generate enough revenue from one of the platforms for it to be viable.
Don't forget there are cross-platform SDKs, such as Airplay SDK. One advantage of Airplay SDK is that it's in C++, which clearly your staff is already familiar with. I'm sure a host of other cross-platform SDKs exist - I'm not an expert in mobile development by any means.

Last edited by Adam.Ormond; May 18th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Adam.Ormond is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Adam.Ormond

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
You miss the point.
Using a desktop or laptop for hero lab is the only option ATM, but as of now not the future, how many users on this forum have a tablet and what OS does it use?

Im not going to upgrade my devices anytime soon so I'm curious to see what the majority of people use ATM.
That's not entirely true -- I control my desktop from my iPad using Splashtop. It's not the best, but it works well enough -- better than dragging my laptop around. This takes a little know-how to setup if your iPad isn't connected to the same network as your PC, but it's not overly complex.

RDP applications exist for the iPad (and other tablets) as well. I've tried a few of them, but prefer Splashtop as it is a bit more responsive.

Last edited by Adam.Ormond; May 18th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Adam.Ormond is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I use Teamviewer from my iPad. It will connect back to your PC from anywhere in the world. I used it at Gen Con last year to pull down files i had forgotten to bring with me. very handle and easy to set up.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old May 21st, 2011, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Ormond View Post
That's not entirely true -- I control my desktop from my iPad using Splashtop. It's not the best, but it works well enough -- better than dragging my laptop around. This takes a little know-how to setup if your iPad isn't connected to the same network as your PC, but it's not overly complex.

RDP applications exist for the iPad (and other tablets) as well. I've tried a few of them, but prefer Splashtop as it is a bit more responsive.
That just illustrates my point, you use an iPad tablet to control a Desktop or a Laptop running Hero Lab not the tablet itself. There are other solutions for other devices but ATM a laptop or Desktop is the preferred method!
bodrin is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
ase1972

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
That just illustrates my point, you use an iPad tablet to control a Desktop or a Laptop running Hero Lab not the tablet itself. There are other solutions for other devices but ATM a laptop or Desktop is the preferred method!

That is cause laptop, desktop, netbook, or windows 7 tablet are the only option....I bought a Acer Windows tablet with windows 7 starter and it ran fine...I just could not justify $600 for a tablet, so I returned it.
ase1972 is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Minneyar

Old June 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
In lieu of a full-featured Hero Lab for Android (since that's my preferred platform), something like a "Hero Lab Viewer" would also be great (and likely significantly less effort to develop). I'd be fine with using Hero Lab on my desktop to handle character creation and then use my tablet as my character sheet during gaming sessions, perhaps with some limited functionality for tracking changes to things like hit points or temporary ability modifiers.
Minneyar is offline   #50 Reply With Quote