Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

bodrin

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
How would you envision us presenting the traps and hazards? Would you expect to see them on the tactical console in some fashion? What sort of interactions with the rest of the characters would you expect?

If they were in Hero Lab, how would you use them in a game? Unlike monsters that can have templates, class levels, and all sorts of other variations, there's little to no modification that's done to a trap. Also, for monsters, Hero Lab can track their HP and the spells and effects that are on them, but what would be the advantage of having a hazard in Hero Lab, as opposed to reading it from the book?

It's not that we couldn't present this information, but with the limited resources we have available, and the constant stream of new books to handle, would implementing traps and hazards be of more use to more of our user base than other features we could spend the same time implementing?

A search function for stock portfolios is planned.
Haunts are Hazards that have an AC and hit points just like a creature and they function similar to a trap. Plus they can be modified too, see carrion crown AP and Gamemastery guide.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #251
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
Haunts are Hazards that have an AC and hit points just like a creature and they function similar to a trap. Plus they can be modified too, see carrion crown AP and Gamemastery guide.
Yea I had thought about doing the haunts for the CB as with the fact they have hit points and stuff they do act more like monsters than traps.

When running my last encounter that had Haunts I entered them in the combat system as Monsters so I can track HP's and AC and their Channel Resistance info.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #252
bodrin

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yea I had thought about doing the haunts for the CB as with the fact they have hit points and stuff they do act more like monsters than traps.

When running my last encounter that had Haunts I entered them in the combat system as Monsters so I can track HP's and AC and their Channel Resistance info.
I always thought a Haunt / Trap mechanism would be a good addition to the core program, similar to the new monster creator recently added, however it's not insurmountable to scratch off HP on a sheet of paper.

What would be really useful is the automatic calculation of HP and hardness of equipment.
The musings of a troubled mind

Dormio Forte Somnio

d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets

bodrin is offline   #253
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM
So we do need to add Haunts.

What about traps and hazards? How would having those in Hero Lab be more helpful than just looking them up in a book?
Mathias is offline   #254
bodrin

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
So we do need to add Haunts.

What about traps and hazards? How would having those in Hero Lab be more helpful than just looking them up in a book?
Speedy access, instant info and a gentle nudge to remind the DM that there is something in an encounter besides the 4 burning skeletons and wraith that's assailing a party fleeing through a hostile environment.

Dormio Forte Somnio

d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets

bodrin is offline   #255
Nikmal

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
Speedy access, instant info and a gentle nudge to remind the DM that there is something in an encounter besides the 4 burning skeletons and wraith that's assailing a party fleeing through a hostile environment.
This I do agree with. It makes it easier for the GM to remember that there is an actual trap in a particular encounter. I always wanted to add traps somehow but did not know how to go about it. It just makes sense to me
Nikmal is offline   #256
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Traps and hazards are really starting to venture outside the scope of Hero Lab. They are definitely important to a GM, but they lie within the scope of something like Realm Works instead of Hero Lab. So looks for those to be handled in Realm Works.
rob is offline   #257
bodrin

Old March 8th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Traps and hazards are really starting to venture outside the scope of Hero Lab. They are definitely important to a GM, but they lie within the scope of something like Realm Works instead of Hero Lab. So looks for those to be handled in Realm Works.
I agree Realm Works is the ideal place but interoperability between both program's is the best solution. Create a trap, hazard or haunt in HL import the stats to Realm Works or enter the data into RW and then link it to HL's tactical console.

Best of both worlds imo!

Dormio Forte Somnio

d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets

bodrin is offline   #258
mirtos

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:20 AM
IS there anyway to print a "spell list" for people who dont have spellbooks? Like clerics. As I add more sources, it would be nice to have a printout of just my spell lists...

But only spells i have access to (in other words, if im a 5th level cleric, it should show me spells of level: 0,1,2,3

Even if it uses a lot of paper.

If this doesnt exist, ill add it to requested features.
mirtos is offline   #259
AEIOU

Old March 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
HL is tactical while RW is strategic.

I use HL for the actual game sessions while I envision using RW for planning, scheming and information dissemination. As such, HL is the more logical location for traps and hazards. It needs to get imported into RW just like NPC sheets.
AEIOU is offline   #260
Closed Thread