Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 26th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Regardless of functionality, if it's in a web browser you will be able to print it. it's one workaround.
Actually not true. I know several ways to prevent such a thing from happening in a web browser. You can even prevent text from being selected on a web page. Some of these methods can be worked "around" but all would take a very non-user understanding of networks and or browsers.

Of course you could could always take a screen shot and print it but you could do that now.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 26th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Always knows the right answer... even if it's not the one we're looking for

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Once export is possible, printing of one's own content will be entirely possible as well. The export format is XML, so users can write suitable transforms to format the data however they want. Then it can be printed. Just take a look what's been done for Hero Lab, with various custom character sheets like the one by @AncientOne. It's extremely well done! And the same can be accomplished for Realm Works by anyone enterprising enough to do it. Once someone does it, they can share with others, and everyone desiring printing gets what they want!

Edit: FYI, I don't believe the structure of the Realm Works XML will be any more complex than for Hero Lab. It will be quite different, but the complexity will be comparable. So writing suitable transforms will be completely possible.
rob is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 26th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Always knows the right answer... even if it's not the one we're looking for
Just mentioning it was all. We have part time help at my work that take CC numbers. The work area does not allow purses or phones so can't snap a picture. But had to find a ways from a web page to prevent printing and copy/pasting the CC.

So we did find ways to prevent this....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rlbeaver

Old October 27th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Once export is possible, printing of one's own content will be entirely possible as well. The export format is XML, so users can write suitable transforms to format the data however they want. Then it can be printed. Just take a look what's been done for Hero Lab, with various custom character sheets like the one by @AncientOne. It's extremely well done! And the same can be accomplished for Realm Works by anyone enterprising enough to do it. Once someone does it, they can share with others, and everyone desiring printing gets what they want!

Edit: FYI, I don't believe the structure of the Realm Works XML will be any more complex than for Hero Lab. It will be quite different, but the complexity will be comparable. So writing suitable transforms will be completely possible.
Oh! Sweet this is all that I would need...thanks!
rlbeaver is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Gelfarin

Old October 27th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Add me to the list of those that would love to print out our content. I'm still new to Realm Works but that seemed a glaring omission my first session. We're still a gaming group that gathers around the physical table to play. I purchased this to organize my world/campaign and was dismayed that after hours of entry and organization I couldn't then print anything out to share with the players or to keep myself organized once I walked away from the computer.

So yes please, +1 to this request!
Gelfarin is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 27th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Printers of the world, unite!
AEIOU is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old October 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Printers of the internet, unite!
Fixed it for you.
Tharmiones is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
UndeadDan

Old October 27th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbeaver View Post
I hesitate to state it because it causes angst from what I've seen. I want a way to print or export to PDF. Not because I'm paranoid that they are going out of business, etc, but just because I want a way to create handouts, or what not that doesn't involve a lot of copying and pasting.
Not paranoid. One of the other character manager apps just shut down effective immediately. Their servers go offline tomorrow and once the existing subscriptions expire the app will go into read only mode.

I'm hoping theres a button somewhere at Lone Wolf that if they ever go out of business the last guy out the door smacks it and all the anti-copying protocols go offline and we get to use HL or RW until computers refuse to run it.
UndeadDan is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 28th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadDan View Post
Not paranoid. One of the other character manager apps just shut down effective immediately. Their servers go offline tomorrow and once the existing subscriptions expire the app will go into read only mode.

I'm hoping theres a button somewhere at Lone Wolf that if they ever go out of business the last guy out the door smacks it and all the anti-copying protocols go offline and we get to use HL or RW until computers refuse to run it.
That's a risk we all take in anything we do that involves a third party. You never know what will happen if you use dropbox, RW cloud or stick your face in a fan.

But like dropbox, the company behind Realm Works has been a here a long time, very long in fact for a gamer only supporting company. So the risk isn't as high as with other newer entries.

Rob has also committed to this, even if it is something he does on his own after the melt down. However I feel this is unlikely.

LWD isn't the perfect company, but its well run and managed for a small shop dedicated to a small market, though seems too many here expect more than most 10k plus employee international mega companies offer.

I could lose all my work, but I am confident that this is an unlikely out come. However, I have zero need desire or want for printing. For me the whole point of RW is to ditch paper. However, I also realize it is not just about me, so I am also confident, when things settle down in the new year, export and printing will be here for those what need/want it.

OH and sorry about your death, but congrats on beating and coming back to the unlife.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #20 Reply With Quote