Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Daemonfey

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I feel almost stupid just asking these questions, but I am really unsure how to keep my self-created files tidy and in order.

So far, I only created one single data file in wich I added and changed anything that was useful in my campaign. Now I start loosing my clear view of what I did and why I did it.

So I began to wonder, should I have worked with multiple Data Files, one for Feats, one for monsters, one for spells (or each single spell or monster?) - for example? Can all these files smoothly work together?

How do you folks work with data files, or how do you decide wether to create a new file or to modify an old file?

Can I use my self created sources with each data file, so that I can activate or deactivate all my stuff in the hero settings with one click?

Yes, I know that these answers could be "do it the way you like", but I'd appreciate usefull insights from experienced users in this matter.

Also, I duplicated the game system for my game tinkerings - Is this at all necessary for me to use my own stuff on one side, and official stuff on the other side?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Daemonfey is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Any sources you create in one data file will be available in other data files, so there's no restriction there.

Note that on each item in the editor there's a comments section in the bottom right, and in the View menu in the editor, there are options to leave comments about the file as a whole, so you may also want to get used to recording why you're adding various things - that may be helpful a few months down the road.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old December 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I use separate data files for classes, equipment, feats/traits, and general house rules. I also duplicated the system for use in Living Pathfinder Games (our ENWorld Living World campaign), as we are particular about which source books we allow and we have some unusual house rules; that was the easiest way to avoid having to remember all that stuff every time I wanted to make an LPF character or run a game over there.

Note that I'm not saying my way is the best; it's just what works for me.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Daemonfey

Old December 19th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Thank you both very much! - That is what I wanted to read - I guess I better start redoing everything I did so far, before I get lost even more!
Daemonfey is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ValaraukarU

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I tend to make fewer files and separate them by concept. So I have one file for CotCT, one for CotCT Bestiary, one for custom magic items and equipment , one for custom game content like feats and traits and such.

In each file I may have several sources; like "wooden buckler" or "GMX's custom magic items for 2nd Darkness". Or I may have pretty much one source like "Curse of the Crimson Throne AP".

I highly recommend using the comments sections and the notes stuff even if I am terrible about filling it in.
ValaraukarU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old December 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I have one main "campaign world" file that contains all of the data universal to our game world.

I may then make a special campaign-specific version for a given campaign, although these days I'm folding everything into one file and using SOURCE tags to separate things.

The advantage for me by using one file is that it makes things far easier to track and reduces the chances of duplicate unique ID errors.

Plus, since everyone has set their HL to get the update file from a website, I can remove things easily by simply modifying the one .user file.
enrious is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonfey View Post
How do you folks work with data files, or how do you decide wether to create a new file or to modify an old file?
I started with one "House Rules" .user file but eventually learned it got way too big and cumbersome. Not that HL couldn't handle it but it made it allot harder to share stuff with the community if it was all put together in one place.

So now I break it up into lots of different .user files. I break them up by what I consider logical sections. So I have campaign .user files (RotRL and CC right now). My "sub skills" system is its own set of .user files broken down by CORE and each additional book.

I then have learned if I modify a feat, spell, or Thing from a book I create a separate .user file. So when I modified the "Heirloom Weapon" trait, in example, from AA I created a new file called PFRPG_AdventurersArmory.user file.

Quote:
Can I use my self created sources with each data file, so that I can activate or deactivate all my stuff in the hero settings with one click?
Think what your asking is that if you make a source called "House Rules" in user file A can you use it in User File B? Yes you can as that source exists in memory and is available for all things in that data set. I plan to do a Video Tutorial on Sources and that is a good point I can cover. Thanks

Quote:
Also, I duplicated the game system for my game tinkerings - Is this at all necessary for me to use my own stuff on one side, and official stuff on the other side?
Its a good way to keep things separate and for testing. I currently have 5 Pathfinder data sets and 3 d20 data sets. If it helps at all here is how I have them setup:

Pathfinder - The default HL data set is my "Shadow d20" house rules data set.
Pathfinderd20pfsrd - Holds all the different .user files available on the d20pfsrd repository site.
PathfinderBestiary - Holds all the AP bestiary and data sets together as one thing.
PathfinderWIP - Work in Progress data set where I do allot of misc things and small projects for the community and others.
PathfinderCORE - This has no .user files in it and is set to only load the CORE data set of HL. Good for testing without any user changes.

Hope that helps some.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Daemonfey

Old December 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you very much, all this was really enlightening!
Daemonfey is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old December 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Indeed, thanks for asking it.
Right now, I've got 2 user files one for each campaign "world" I'm using.
I have to admit that Hero Lab is a hoot to play with in this regard, making a Pathfinder game for a different world got me familiar with the Preclude tab. So I could substitute the Pathfinder deities and philosophies with my own.
Enforcer84 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer84 View Post
Indeed, thanks for asking it.
Right now, I've got 2 user files one for each campaign "world" I'm using.
I have to admit that Hero Lab is a hoot to play with in this regard, making a Pathfinder game for a different world got me familiar with the Preclude tab. So I could substitute the Pathfinder deities and philosophies with my own.
I use the deities from the Book of the Righteous and do just that - same with races and whatnot.
enrious is offline   #10 Reply With Quote