Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedrik View Post
OK, I am able to 'Open in...' and select HL on the iPad through the DropBox App. This does allow me to import the .hl file. Is this now going to be 'permanent' in that when the .hl file is updated on DropBox, HL on iPad will automatically 'see' the update?
Nope. Its just one of the ways to get the .hl file on to the iPad.

Are you trying to setup the a situation like the Community Servers have? Then HL will tell a person on iPad or desktop that a new version of a community Pack is available.

That is a little more work as you need to setup a Update URL (see link above) that HL will look for and that file needs to be in specific XML format/layout. I think I saw one person using dropbox with this method. But note every so often I think the dropbox URL

You will also need to create a "unique id" for each "package" (ie .hl) file you generate and keep a rolling version number.

I don't know if LW has any good documentation on the above. I know I don't. But you maybe able to look at the above updates.xml file and figure out allot of it. If you have a specific question I am happy to help.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Hedrik

Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
Thanks ShadowChemosh - I already set up the update.xml - and that is why I explained that there needs to be a way to specify the 'local' file name in the update.xml rather than relying on the file's URL. (see above in this thread)

As for the file being in the Apps/Hero Lab/ directory on DropBox - it was indicated that placing it in that directory would allow HL on iPad to have access to it and that HL would automatically read it and make it available for import - however the 'Open in...' method (using the DropBox App) would seem to allow the use of an .hl file located in any directory, and does not appear to provide any automation. Thus I asked for confirmation of that conclusion.

In any case, thank again for offering to help!
Hedrik is offline   #12 Reply With Quote