Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JustinThomason

Old September 14th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I've had Hero Lab for a few years now, but mostly I've been using it to generate stat blocks, or manage my own PC.

Recently I started looking into the Tactical Console, and it looks like it could be a very useful tool for a campaign I'm planning to start in a couple of months.

As far as keeping track of round order, who's delaying, etc, I think it is great, but what I'm missing is some way for me to streamline actual combat as the GM. Is there any way to have characters roll for attack and damage in Hero Lab? I know that there is the stand alone dice roller, but it really doesn't help with the on the fly math. When I'm dealing with multiple baddies on the table at any one time, I'd love to be able to click a single button and have an attack rolled for me taking into account all the situational modifiers that HL is so good about being able to apply on the fly.

It is very possible that I'm just missing something obvious, but I've looked around for tutorials or instructions and I'm just not seeing this covered. It seems strange to me that there is no way to make attack and damage rolls somewhere in the program, and I've see references to this sort of thing, but no hard explanations.

Thanks in advance for your help.
JustinThomason is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, rolling attacks is something that is only a feature of the Ipad version. It would be nice to add to the Tactical console though, I agree.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old September 14th, 2014, 05:20 PM
That would be a huge feature to add. Especially with the Portfolio integration in Realm Works, streamlining the GM's job by including those sorts of calculations would greatly increase the value of both products.
JustinThomason is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 14th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately the iPad version isn't very good for managing multiple characters in the combat, since you have to load each character separately before you can apply any changes to it.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mhossom

Old September 15th, 2014, 04:28 AM
My daughter uses an iPad to manage multiple characters. If the portfolio contains multiple characters, then there is an option to switch heroes on the top right part of the screen.
mhossom is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Currently, there's a big gap in Hero Lab's usefulness. You can use it to pre-generate your character sheets, and that works well, but misses out on a lot of the benefits of the live-math hero lab can do. You can use it as a 'living' character sheet, using a tablet or PC, and it is great for that, including tracking conditions and such. There is no way to multiple people to do this though, and have the characters still linked together to make good use of the tactical console.

What is needed is a way to 'share' a live character between the player AND the GM, where the character has only his portfolio open, and the GM can have a 'master portfolio' with all characters AND the encounter. This way he can use the tactical console with up-to-date information for all characters available to him.

Once this is implemented (though there has been no talk of going this route), tracking duration of effects/spells would be the next feature requested, and perhaps even action economy tracking, since the tactical console brings time into the mix.
Fuzzy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 16th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Once this is implemented (though there has been no talk of going this route),
It has been discussed by the LW several times actually on the boards here. I remember Rob saying he had most of the tech mapped out. My take is that RW came along and that road map changed. My "hope" is that RW and HL get integrated better down the road and we see this feature. This would go along with the hint about RW being able to hold .user files and .por files together. Which would be nice with the RW:PE.

Actually I would love a way improved TC myself. I don't actually use HL's TC at the table because it does not do any die rolls.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
karrel

Send a message via MSN to karrel

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM
i use combat manager it does every thing i need it to do. http://combatmanager.com/
karrel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
It has been discussed by the LW several times actually on the boards here. I remember Rob saying he had most of the tech mapped out. My take is that RW came along and that road map changed. My "hope" is that RW and HL get integrated better down the road and we see this feature. This would go along with the hint about RW being able to hold .user files and .por files together. Which would be nice with the RW:PE.

Actually I would love a way improved TC myself. I don't actually use HL's TC at the table because it does not do any die rolls.
The VTT D20pro Unlimited Kickstarter funded this feature when used with HL and RW. Lets hope it comes true.
Exmortis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrel View Post
i use combat manager it does every thing i need it to do. http://combatmanager.com/
I use it too. It can import HL portfolios.
tkarn is offline   #10 Reply With Quote