Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

McTaff

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM
In Pathfinder, you can have multiple powers on certain items (i.e. rings).

There is no way to create this item without resorting to actually creating custom content, and that isn't possible as our group play PnP and use HL for generation purposes.

For example: I own a Ring Of Regeneration. I can add "Feather Fall" to the ring, using the Forge Ring feat, however there is no way I can represent this item in my character. The closest thing is having the two separate rings and selecting them both, which flags an error if you have a third ring...

Any chance of opening up the "magic item builder" to rings, staves, wands and the like?
McTaff is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Angela2013

Old June 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM
That is one way to do it (and a great one at that). You could also just go into the editor and build the new ring with any abilities that you want in any combination that you wish.

Some days I don't know why I bother to chew through the restraints.
Angela2013 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
There is no way to create this item without resorting to actually creating custom content, and that isn't possible as our group play PnP and use HL for generation purposes.
I am lost on why using PnP means you can't use the editor to create custom magic items?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I think I am a bit lost on this one as well. You can create magic items in the editor for things such as rings. And if you dont want the error for wearing more then 2 rings, thats a constraint of the PF system. HL actually will allow you to do this just with an error to let you know it is outside the game rules.

Have you opened the editor and tried to create a ring?

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Creating custom content causes problems because everyone sends their characters to the DM, and he/she then can open them in HL and fiddle around with them as required, or at least verify stuff.

If I'm at home and create custom content, does this not mean that they also have to have the same custom content active on their version of HL?

-

As for the "error", it is annoying; nothing more. but having that little red flag on your character sheet raises eyebrows and usually prompts a re-examination of your character sheet to make sure it's the only error...

We are pretty trusting in our group, but there is always that tiny sliver of doubt.

I just see this as an area that the HL system could open up a little more anyway, seeing as it is indeed a game mechanic that isn't implemented.
McTaff is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
blzbob

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:36 AM
If you send your character to the GM send the custom content too.
blzbob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I would suggest the use of a single .user file that is shared amongst the party and GM that contains all custom things necessary for all the characters.
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Angela2013

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
You could put the user file in Dropbox and keep it synced across the player's and GM's computers. Make a change on one and it shows on all. Though you might want to set it up that only the GM can make the changes to keep it from getting out of hand.

Some days I don't know why I bother to chew through the restraints.
Angela2013 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 12th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2013 View Post
You could put the user file in Dropbox and keep it synced across the player's and GM's computers. Make a change on one and it shows on all. Though you might want to set it up that only the GM can make the changes to keep it from getting out of hand.
Yea pretty similar to what I do with my group except I linked into the "Powered by HL" feature so that my groups data set is auto-downloaded and installed when I make changes.

But even if my players add in feats, or spells they email me the .user file and I add it to our data set. Then everyone updates to the next release so that if anyone opens a .por file there is no errors about missing things. Plus I make sure that what they sent works and if needed do any little fixes also.

The dropbox method would do the same thing.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I appreciate the suggestions (Some of those are pretty savvy - never thought of using Dropbox!)

However some of the group live in "the dark ages" and don't generally want to deal with anything wacky internet-related. At the moment, I will have to just create the items and submit it as a hardcopy (no big deal for me as I mentioned our playing is all done PnP).

Still, regardless of the workarounds, I'd still like to see a slightly more able item-creation section within HL.

Last edited by McTaff; June 16th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
McTaff is offline   #10 Reply With Quote