Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Silveras

Old February 4th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I am reluctant to link to it as it is in the beta forum, and not everyone would have access to it.

Users with beta access can find the thread (2 pages) under the title "Import of own data".
Silveras is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 4th, 2017, 09:58 PM
The thread will only be accessible to beta participants.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 5th, 2017, 04:37 AM
Then how would the rest of us know that?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 5th, 2017, 07:46 AM
@kbs666: We can't. The beta testers live in two worlds and they're trying to share some of their other world knowledge here. Given the volume of posts I'm sure it's hard for them to remember what has been discussed in public. Especially when public and beta are having the same conversations.

The take-away for me is the beta team is actively thinking about this, testing this, and talking to the devs about this. Unlike us, they have a much more direct link to them. So it's a win-win for us.
AEIOU is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 5th, 2017, 08:23 AM
It is especially confusing when the conversations are in both places, because the beta members have agreed to NDAs. In general, if the information has been announced in public, the NDA no longer applies ... but remembering which details are and are not public makes me conservative on what I say in the public forums.
Silveras is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 5th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
It is especially confusing when the conversations are in both places, because the beta members have agreed to NDAs. In general, if the information has been announced in public, the NDA no longer applies ... but remembering which details are and are not public makes me conservative on what I say in the public forums.
Yep. Pretty much easier for me to say almost nothing on the main forums anymore.

Worse for me is how much NDA stuff I have for Hero Lab I am not suppose to say.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 5th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Knowing the conversations are underway is comforting. When betas are managed well they are very effective. A big thank you to the beta folks that are watching the public forums and bringing our concerns to the devs so they don't have to spend their time poring over every post.
AEIOU is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 5th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Hopefully Rob will answer the question if it is asked directly,

Can RW import an XML file if it was not created by RW but is in the correct form. We can surely provide some form of UUID's and signatures but they would not be what RW itself expects, obviously, unless LWD reveals how those are created.
Yes, you can create an XML file in the correct format, which it should be possible to import into RealmWorks.

If you look at the XML output of my script then the UUID and signatures are not required on the topics which you are importing. (They are required on the elements in the structure definitions, but not in the actual topics.)

(If you want to be able to import data more than once, then you will need to be able to put some form of unique id in for each topic; and use that same unique id when you re-import it. I assume this is achieved using the UUID attribute on the topic elements.)
Farling is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 5th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
What is to stop you from creating a bogus realm with a bunch of blank entries, exporting them and comandeeeing the uuids for import?
This is possible. You would have to create a lot of uuids to cater for adding more topics later on subsequent exports. You could also assign pseudo-random uuids using a microsoft library from within powershell.

The problem in making a general purpose script is to make the effort the least number of steps possible for a general user. So any use of UUIDs should ideally not be known by the average user of the import script.
Farling is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 5th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I am reluctant to link to it as it is in the beta forum, and not everyone would have access to it.

Users with beta access can find the thread (2 pages) under the title "Import of own data".
I was answering Zaphod's original post in this thread :-)
Farling is offline   #30 Reply With Quote