Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bertraze

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I'm trying to replicate the Expempresario archetype for magi from Wayfinder Magazine #7, and I'm having a bit of a hard time with it.

The major change is that the Extempresario is a spontaneous caster rather than a prepared caster. There doesn't appear to be an override field for the Spellcaster Type on the Archetype tab.

I've also tried to use an eval script to replace CasterType.MemBook with CasterType.SpontKnow, but I always get an unspecified error when trying to compile my script.

I'm really puzzled on how to accomplish this without any software enhancements. Does anybody know what my script is missing?
bertraze is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM
The eval script route is the way to go. However, in order to help you figure out what's going wrong, you'll need to tell us more about how you tried to go about changing the tag, and exactly what the error message was. (You can right-click on error messages in Hero Lab to copy them and then paste them here).
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bertraze

Old August 26th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I added the CasterType.SpontKnow tag in the Tags window, and then in an eval script, Pre-Levels, Priority 5, entered the following. I got the error reproduced below.

hero.delete[CasterType.MemBook]

Hero Lab was forced to stop compilation after the following errors were detected:

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'arSrcExtem' (Eval Script '#1') on line 1
-> Unspecified error parsing script
bertraze is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertraze View Post
I added the CasterType.SpontKnow tag in the Tags window, and then in an eval script, Pre-Levels, Priority 5, entered the following. I got the error reproduced below.

hero.delete[CasterType.MemBook]

Hero Lab was forced to stop compilation after the following errors were detected:

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'arSrcExtem' (Eval Script '#1') on line 1
-> Unspecified error parsing script
You forgot the "perform". When dealing with deleting tags or assigning tags it requires a perform opcode.

Code:
perform hero.delete[CasterType.MemBook]
Though are you sure that tag is on the "hero" and not the Class? It does not make sense on the hero as I could be a Wizard/Sorcerer so how would it know which class the tag was assigned too.

I think you want the archetype to affect the class its attached to. In THIS thread Mathias did a great job going over locations. We see we want to use "linkage[varies]" as follows:
Code:
perform linkage[varies].delete[CasterType.MemBook]

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bertraze

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks! This is the first major thing I'm working on, so I'm still learning.

This has helped me get part of the way. When I tried what you said above, I ended up with a Magus tab with no ability to add spells whatsoever.

I took the CasterType.SpontKnow tag out of the Tags window, and changed my Pre-Levels/5 script add it instead:

Quote:
perform hero.childfound[cHelpMag].assign[CasterType.SpontKnow]
I'm definitely getting a lot closer now. It looks like I can now select my spells known. I have the Override Spell Attribute field on the Archetype tab set to Charisma, and the Magus tab says that my test character has too low of a CHA to add 1st level spells, but it's definitely looking at the character's INT, as it's 10 and their CHA is 18.

In addition, since I had to add the first level of the regular Magus class before I could choose the Archetype, I appear to have every 0-level spell as a spell known.

I can't think of any way to clear the spellbook only the first time I add my archetype, but I'm assuming that's what would need to be done -- I don't even see any way to manually remove them from the list of spells.
bertraze is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Code:
perform hero.childfound[cHelpMag].assign[CasterType.SpontKnow]
So you would want to change the above to use the linkage varies instead of harcoding to the specific magus class. This makes the archetype more flexable. So linkage[varies] is saying link to the "Class" my archetype is linked too. So you don't have to use hero.child then.
Code:
perform linkage[varies].assign[CasterType.SpontKnow]

Quote:
I'm definitely getting a lot closer now. It looks like I can now select my spells known. I have the Override Spell Attribute field on the Archetype tab set to Charisma, and the Magus tab says that my test character has too low of a CHA to add 1st level spells, but it's definitely looking at the character's INT, as it's 10 and their CHA is 18.
Hmm thats strange as I know their are other archetypes that are using this to change spell attribute. Take a look at the "Scarred Witch Doctor" archetype as it changes a witch class to use Con instead of Int. See if your missing anything.

Quote:
In addition, since I had to add the first level of the regular Magus class before I could choose the Archetype, I appear to have every 0-level spell as a spell known.

I can't think of any way to clear the spellbook only the first time I add my archetype, but I'm assuming that's what would need to be done -- I don't even see any way to manually remove them from the list of spells.
Yea this is another weird case as all 0-level spells are present on all characters.

Can you try moving your above script to earlier timing like First/100 actually. See if you catch the change to Spontaneous earlier the spells don't get attached.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
bertraze

Old August 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I moved my script to First/100 and also filled in Override Max Spell Level to Charisma -- I didn't even know it took an attribute, I thought it was for changing things like the fact that Magi are capped at 6th level spells -- and it looks like everything is behaving as it should now. Thanks for all the help.
bertraze is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM
This wouldn't possibly be an attempt at the cabalist archetype would it? Cause you know...that would be swell if it was.
Brolthemighty is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bertraze

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'm actually working on the Extempresario archetype. I'll have to look up this Cabalist and see what it's about.
bertraze is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
bertraze

Old August 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I think I like the Extempresario from Wayfinder Magazine a little better. It's a little more fleshed out than the Cabalist -- it explicity mentions that, while they gain spells per day as a bard, that it's based on Charisma. As written, I would assume that the INT-based casting wouldn't change for the Cabalist. While the Extempresario doesn't get the cool bloodline-related abilities that the Cabalist does, I like that the Extempresario has a feature that states that all Magus abilities that depend on the INT bonus depend on the CHA bonus instead, making it much easier to build a good Extempresario. I haven't gotten into duplicating all the Magus Arcana and such yet to have them based on CHA, though.
bertraze is offline   #10 Reply With Quote