Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Manic Modron

Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hello, everybody! I've been an idle user of Hero Lab for some time and I would genuinely like to kick up my use of it in an upcoming game of Rise of the Runelords.

I see that others have done much of the work that it will take to get everything up on the dashboard, but I don't want to miss any steps or procedures that will make the first night running this thing a chore instead of a breeze.

For example, I've never used the dashboard for any sort of combat and I'm both intrigued and hesitant.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could I get a breakdown/cliff-notes/for dummies list of what to do and expect out of this task?
Manic Modron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Here's what I do:

1) I keep the PCs in the "main" portfolio file for the campaign

2) I prepare additional portfolio files for each section of the adventure (like, one for each of the six volumes of an Adventure Path, plus one for each main town the PCs may visit over and over). Each of these has any NPCs, new, and modified standard monsters (like with templates assigned). Normal versions of standard monsters are already in the stock files, so I don't add them to these portfolios.

3) I use the portfolio with the PCs during play. When they reach an encounter site, I import standard monsters from the stock opponents files (for example, 3 wolves), and I import copies of the NPCs and monsters I set up ahead of time in the other portfolios. This allows me to re-use those portfolios if I run the same adventure again, because the creatures I set up in those files will not be changed by what happens to the copies.

4) I open the Tactical Console (View menu, "Show Tactical Console", or Ctrl+T).. this is the tool for running combats. It has buttons to start combat, end combat, and advance to the next round. The target symbols will switch the main window to show the creature you clicked on.

When you click on "New Combat", initiative will be rolled for all creatures in the list.
You can manually adjust the order if you feel the need to.
Buttons on the list entries allow you to mark them as having acted, readied, or delayed.
When you move on through the list, it cycles back to the top at the start of the next round.
The console allows you to adjust a lot of things, and has a pop-up window to adjust conditions. Not everything fits, though, so you do sometimes have to go to the main window to adjust some things on a creature.

5) When combat is over, and the players are searching around, I move any loot taken from the bodies to the appropriate PC's record.

6) When all that is done (and I am sure I don't need the information for any dead creatures), I delete their record from the main portfolio, so it is usually back to just the PCs when all is said and done, unless they have gained an ally or a prisoner.

That's the main points
Hope that helps, and enjoy!
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Silveras got all the points on the TC so I will just a few notes about what is done and available via the community.

If you have "Advanced Players Guide, Bestiary 1, Bestiary 2, Bestiary 3, Ultimate Combat, and Ultimate Magic" official packages for HL then you can install the Community Bestiary which includes all the RotRL monsters and for the Anniversary addition has every encounter already done.

Follow the instructions in THIS post to get the d20pfsrd Powered by HL setup and running. Then when you restart click on "Find Updates" and tell it you download "d20pfsrd - Community Bestiary v2.6".

After that is installed you can go to d20pfsrd HL repository to download "AP01 Rise of the Runelords Anniversay PART1.zip" and "AP01 Rise of the Runelords Anniversay PART2.zip" which contain all the .por files and encounters. Unzip and you can fun unleashing RotRL on your players.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Manic Modron

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks, you two! I've taken your advice to heart for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Here's what I do:

1) I keep the PCs in the "main" portfolio file for the campaign
Easily done.

Quote:
2) I prepare additional portfolio files for each section of the adventure ...
Okay, I get that now. More useful for other adventures, but still. Good to keep in mind!

Quote:
3) ...This allows me to re-use those portfolios if I run the same adventure again, because the creatures I set up in those files will not be changed by what happens to the copies.
AH! A no brainer, but I wasn't thinking about it. I'll have to keep it in mind if I have to split a combat between sessions.

Quote:
4) I open the Tactical Console (View menu, "Show Tactical Console",
This thing is awesome and I'm really looking forward to using it.

Quote:
When you click on "New Combat", initiative will be rolled for all creatures in the list.
I'm rolling new initiative every round. EVERY ROUND. I love that option, but it bogs down play.

Quote:
Buttons on the list entries allow you to mark them as having acted, readied, or delayed.
Can you say turn clock? Make a choice in X seconds or Delay.
When you move on through the list, it cycles back to the top at the start of the next round.

Quote:
5) When combat is over, and the players are searching around, I move any loot taken from the bodies to the appropriate PC's record.
Wait... what? You can do that? *discovers "Give to Hero" option* GASP! You can! I'm actually excited about that since you only have to make the item once.

Quote:
That's the main points
Hope that helps, and enjoy!
It really does, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Silveras got all the points on the TC so I will just a few notes about what is done and available via the community.
Oh lord, there is more?

Quote:
If you have "Advanced Players Guide, Bestiary 1, Bestiary 2, Bestiary 3, Ultimate Combat, and Ultimate Magic" official packages for HL then you can install the Community Bestiary which includes all the RotRL monsters and for the Anniversary addition has every encounter already done.
Hero Lab should thank you for talking me into blowing my gaming budget for the next couple months on this.

Quote:
Unzip and you can fun unleashing RotRL on your players.
It is happening this Wednesday! If it goes well I might be able to talk my secondary group into Carrion Crown. Especially since I can tempt one of them into playing a Vampire Hunter D clone with Kinslayer.
Manic Modron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Wruin

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
You and your damn community project just convinced me to buy 3 more books and a 3rd license.
Wruin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Asmodean

Old November 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I´m sure I´m missing something here, but how do you roll an attack in the console? I want to test something: I´ve 2 heroes and 2 monsters in the dashboard, and when I´m opening up the console I see all 4 of them, but I just can´t find anyway for my heroes to make an attack. What am I missing?
Asmodean is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Wruin

Old November 20th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I thought there would be one as well, but I didn't find it. There is a die roller tool in one of the main program window drop down menus. I am at work now, and I don't recall which drop down menu (second from the left maybe).
Wruin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 20th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Roll dice as normal or use the dice roller if you want.

When the players act press the play button (sideways triangle) to make the tracker move to the next initiative count.

Or press the pause button (vertical lines) to delay, or the sword to ready an action!

Hope this helps.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Asmodean

Old November 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Ah, I was under the impression that HL had a combat function like Combat Manager, but alas, no.
Asmodean is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Xorial

Old November 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
Ah, I was under the impression that HL had a combat function like Combat Manager, but alas, no.
It does. Under View there is the Tactical Console.

Lo, there do I see my Father..
Lo, there do I see my Mother
And my Sisters and my Brothers..
Lo, there do I see the line
Of my people back to the beginning..
Thay do bid me to take my place among them..
In the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the Brave may live forever.
Xorial is offline   #10 Reply With Quote