Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Slimgauge

Old January 31st, 2017, 08:34 AM
My GM gave my character a custom item. It's a pearl of power, but as a ring. I used to editor to make a copy of the existing pearl of power (a wondrous item), changed the slot to ring, edited the description, and saved it with the unique Id "irROP1" and Name: Ring of power (1st level) in a file called Ring_of_Power.user

When I add this item to the character's profile, via the magic tab, "Click to add a new magic item", the ring shows up under "Magical Tattoo", not "Rings". When I go to re-edit my custom item, it's still under the Wondrous Items tab in the editor.

1) How do I get this custom ring to show up under Rings when adding it to a character ?
2) How do I get this item to show up under the Rings tab when attempting to re-edit it in the future ? (because I will forget that it's under the Wondrous Items tab).

It's probably not important, but in addition the bootstrap raLowLight was added, as this special ring also grants low-light vision. Could this be causing the trouble ?

Last edited by Slimgauge; January 31st, 2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: adding additional information
Slimgauge is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 31st, 2017, 10:17 AM
Rings are made on a seperate tab than wondrous items, as they are a different type of thing.

First, make sure you don't have the file open in the HL editor. Instead, open the .user file you created with a text editor. I use Editpad Pro, but I am sure there are all kinds of free ones out there you can use. There should be an entry in there which looks like this:

Code:
  <thing id="irROP1" name="Ring of Power" description="Your Description" compset="Wondrous">
    <tag group="Helper" tag="EquipMag"/>
    <tag group="Helper" tag="ShowSpec"/>
    <tag group="Helper" tag="EquipAvail"/>
    <tag group="gType" tag="Ring"/>
    <eval phase="First" priority="10000"><![CDATA[
      ~Some code
      ]]></eval>
    </thing>
Change compset="Wondrous" to compset="Ring".
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Slimgauge

Old February 1st, 2017, 09:14 AM
Thank you for the advice.

I used TextPad.

After I made the change, I get these errors:

Thing 'irROP1' - Contains duplicates of tag 'EquipAvail' in group 'Helper'
Thing 'irROP1' - Contains duplicates of tag 'EquipMag' in group 'Helper'
Thing 'irROP1' - Contains duplicates of tag 'EqpRing' in group 'Helper'

EDIT: I deleted these three tags from the "Tags" button in the upper right.
The item saves and tests successfully now. I will try to add this item to the character to test further.

Last edited by Slimgauge; February 1st, 2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add results of test
Slimgauge is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 1st, 2017, 09:43 AM
Sounds like you've got a handle on it.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old February 1st, 2017, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Rings are made on a seperate tab than wondrous items, as they are a different type of thing.

First, make sure you don't have the file open in the HL editor. Instead, open the .user file you created with a text editor. I use Editpad Pro, but I am sure there are all kinds of free ones out there you can use. There should be an entry in there which looks like this:

Code:
  <thing id="irROP1" name="Ring of Power" description="Your Description" compset="Wondrous">
    <tag group="Helper" tag="EquipMag"/>
    <tag group="Helper" tag="ShowSpec"/>
    <tag group="Helper" tag="EquipAvail"/>
    <tag group="gType" tag="Ring"/>
    <eval phase="First" priority="10000"><![CDATA[
      ~Some code
      ]]></eval>
    </thing>
Change compset="Wondrous" to compset="Ring".
This also helps me too. I was doing it another way. Thanks Aaron.
Dwayne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 1st, 2017, 10:46 AM
Happy to help!
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old February 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimgauge View Post
Thing 'irROP1' - Contains duplicates of tag 'EquipAvail' in group 'Helper'
Thing 'irROP1' - Contains duplicates of tag 'EquipMag' in group 'Helper'
Thing 'irROP1' - Contains duplicates of tag 'EqpRing' in group 'Helper'

EDIT: I deleted these three tags from the "Tags" button in the upper right.
The item saves and tests successfully now.
I am curious as to the "meaning" of these errors. I just designed a Rod (also a minor artifact); after appending a couple things to it (description, 1 spell, the descinfo from another rod), it threw me the "Contains duplicates of tag 'EquipAvail' in group 'Helper'" error.

That Helper tag is added by default to all new rods; what made it duplicated/superfluous?
Lord Magus is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 11th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Magus View Post
I am curious as to the "meaning" of these errors. I just designed a Rod (also a minor artifact); after appending a couple things to it (description, 1 spell, the descinfo from another rod), it threw me the "Contains duplicates of tag 'EquipAvail' in group 'Helper'" error.

That Helper tag is added by default to all new rods; what made it duplicated/superfluous?
Does your item already have those tags listed in the Editor on the "Tags" button? If so remove them so that HL can add them itself.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Does your item already have those tags listed in the Editor on the "Tags" button? If so remove them so that HL can add them itself.
That I know and did. Just wondering how a tag that is added by default to a newly created item could quickly end up being duplicated without me adding anything to the item that could cause that (AFAIK).
Lord Magus is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Magus View Post
That I know and did. Just wondering how a tag that is added by default to a newly created item could quickly end up being duplicated without me adding anything to the item that could cause that (AFAIK).
All magic items in Pathfinder use the same tags to determine their behavior. For example, whether they show an equip checkbox or not is determined by whether they have the Helper.EquipMag tag. For wondrous items, there are some items that need that checkbox, like the pearl of power, and some items, like a bag of holding, that don't need to be equipped on the character to be used. So, whether an item gets Helper.EquipMag is up to the author - it's a checkbox in the editor.

Rings on the other hand, always show that checkbox, so Helper.EquipMag is permanently assigned to all rings, and unlike the Wondrous Item tab, the Ring tab doesn't show the user a checkbox for that setting. So, when you moved your item between tabs, Helper.EquipMag and several other tags that had been assigned with checkboxes on the Wondrous Item tab are now settings that are permanently turned on for rings, and Hero Lab is telling you about those duplications.
Mathias is online now   #10 Reply With Quote