Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dafrca

Old September 14th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
The only way to generate buzz about it over there would be to tell people you created a thread there. Share the thread here with interested parties and it might speed things up.
Did that in my post on the 10th and have two more posts over there now. Don't know if those came from here or not though.
dafrca is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
All you can do is wait and share the link with interested parties. It can take time for a buzz to start. The Monster Manual isn't even out yet, much less the DMG. It may take time to get people interested in the edition... I wasn't happy with the PHB but I'm going to look at the remaining cores before deciding whether to run it or not. The module they released is good though, so even if I don't run their new edition the modules released might be salvageable for Pathfinder at the very least.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Uruk

Old September 18th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I threw in my 2 cents at the WOTC forums. Why in the world is there a troll/apologist in that thread arguing against using character creation software? Like does it make his game worse if HeroLab adds 5e support? Say your peace then bow out of the thread. Here's hoping WolfLair makes some headway since they actually have a track record of delivering.
Uruk is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uruk View Post
Why in the world is there a troll/apologist in that thread arguing against using character creation software? Like does it make his game worse if HeroLab adds 5e support?
That is "people" for you. They don't agree with something and even if it has NO effect on there life they will speak up and tell you how your doing it wrong.

Lately to me many forums including Paizo's are getting really bad this way.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:06 PM
All forums are that way. Facebook, comment boards, etc. Ive even seen some of it on these boards, albeit to a lesser degree.

Its been that way since eternal september, and its gets worse every year.
mirtos is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old September 20th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I wish I was better at building my own files because I suspect WotC will not allow Lone Wolf to do it. :-(
dafrca is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM
It's been discussed already, but the fear by most is that WotC won't allow YOU to do it either... well, you could, but most are afraid to share it with the community, for fear of big-daddy hasbro's law team. To make an entire game system just for your own use would be a LOT of effort and not worth it.
Fuzzy is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It's been discussed already, but the fear by most is that WotC won't allow YOU to do it either... well, you could, but most are afraid to share it with the community, for fear of big-daddy hasbro's law team. To make an entire game system just for your own use would be a LOT of effort and not worth it.
Considering there is not an open game license out for this edition as of yet, that is likely the case. Rob himself has pointed out that you should go to WotC's forums and politely ask them to let Hero Lab be built for it. It may take a little time to generate enough of a buzz about it. They've only released two books so far though so it is too early to know what they're going to do for licensing. Overall an open license helps the game because it allows 3rd party publishers to add new content. Companies like Kobold Press and Paizo wouldn't exist without OGL. We just have to wait and see what happens. Right now, there isn't enough content to justify character building software for the game in my honest opinion. The only thing the new edition gave a large number of was spells. The feat selection is so small a DM can keep track of all the feats on 3 by 5 index cards right now.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 24th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Also, keep in mind that the feat selection is small because its optional rules. The concept of D&D 5e is to keep things simple. Whether you like that concept or not (i myself havent decided on that), thats the concept.

Open licenses help the game overall, but keep in mind they dont always help the game company. Many publishers out there, many with succesful games dont do open licenses for that reason entirely. It worked very well for Wizards originally, but then in the long run, it hurt them. It was good for us as players of course.

Last edited by mirtos; September 24th, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
mirtos is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Open licenses help the game overall, but keep in mind they dont always help the game company. Many publishers out there, many with succesful games dont do open licenses for that reason entirely. It worked very well for Wizards originally, but then in the long run, it hurt them. It was good for us as players of course.
If Paizo have done very well out of the license, then why wasn't Wizards also able to do well from it?
Farling is offline   #50 Reply With Quote